ESPN Preseason Top 25 | The Boneyard

ESPN Preseason Top 25

Reaction Score
No one from our conference? Just also checked NBC sports poll too. While we certainly will have teams in the actual poll during the season it’s not good to have zero at any point pre or not. Does any poll have AAC teams in?

Reaction Score
That pre season top 25 is not good news for the AAC but
more importantly is what the top 25 will look like on Dec 31 .
If there are still no top 25 teams you might have to win the AAC tourney to get in.
Of course if we have 6-7 teams in the top 50 on that date ,that’s almost as good.
I’m hoping there will be 1-2 teams in the top 25 ,that’s changes the picture completely ,especially with another 2-3 in the top 25-50.
I think the league will be better than predicted. I have a sneaky suspicion one of those teams surprising will be from New England.

Reaction Score
If I am an ACC coach recruiting against UConn for Precious or Kofi the script almost writes itself.

"The AD is broke. Can't afford a 10 mill buyout to avoid bad PR with a coach that has 2 rings and oh btw ... Pretty clearly broke some rules that could easily lead to sanctions before you ever get there. Emmertt was fired by them. Hates them. Has demonstrated he will turn the screws at any chance. AAC has not 1 team ranked in the top 25 preseason poll. Is that where you want to be to showcase yourself?Great legacy program but what is their future as it relates to you"?

I hate it but why wouldn't Puke or KY or even SJU go there? Please don't say scruples.

Hurley is a monster in the making if he closes one or both.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect anyone from the AAC to be ranked in the preseason poll. There isn't anyone that deserves to.

Cincinnati is in the other article about teams on the outside of the top 25.

Teams on the outside looking in at Way-Too-Early Top 25

Cincinnati: The offense will take a major hit

i

The Bearcats have been a perennial defensive power under Mick Cronin, and that track record matters. The Bearcats haven't finished outside the top 25 in KenPom.com's defensive efficiency rankings since 2010.

But Cincinnati lost key players in Jacob Evans, Gary Clark and Kyle Washingtonoff a team that won the American last season. And in the past two seasons, the Bearcats made more than 50 percent of their shots inside the arc for the first time during Cronin's tenure.

So while the defense will reset and probably maintain a spot among the nation's best, that trio of players was the key to Cincinnati's offensive improvement and consistency. Their departure could lead to a significant step back.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If I am an ACC coach recruiting against UConn for Precious or Kofi the script almost writes itself.

"The AD is broke. Can't afford a 10 mill buyout to avoid bad PR with a coach that has 2 rings and oh btw ... Pretty clearly broke some rules that could easily lead to sanctions before you ever get there. Emmertt was fired by them. Hates them. Has demonstrated he will turn the screws at any chance. AAC has not 1 team ranked in the top 25 preseason poll. Is that where you want to be to showcase yourself?Great legacy program but what is their future as it relates to you"?

I hate it but why wouldn't Puke or KY or even SJU go there? Please don't say scruples.

"...writes itself "?
YOU wrote it.
Why?

Reaction Score
No one from our conference? Just also checked NBC sports poll too. While we certainly will have teams in the actual poll during the season it’s not good to have zero at any point pre or not. Does any poll have AAC teams in?
Butch’s poll

Reaction Score
Jokes aside, you can listen to Hurley talk for 5 minutes and you know this team is destined to return to greatness. It might not be this year or next. But it will happen. The guy will be among the greats in college basketball history, you can just feel it.

My biggest fear at this point is that he bolts for a job at Kansas, Kentucky, Duke (Probably the only jobs that could conceivably be viewed as major upgrades. But we could probably keep pace financially.). Or the NBA (but he doesn't seem like the type to want that). He feels like he idolizes the greats of college ball, and sees himself as much as a teacher as he does a coach.

Reaction Score
Last year we had ranked in conference teams on our sched. We are always under stress to win nonconference games early, and it will be worse this year. Those games against teams with a number are all big. It’s no good to play the conference sched against no rank teams.

Reaction Score
I think people are underestimating UCF on a national level. They have an outside chance to rank top 3 KP in defensive efficiency next year. By all metrics that is elite. With a healthy Taylor and the addition of Dawkins that offense should be top 75 per KP. If Fall provides any type of legitimacy on the interior then UCF would probably only be a poor mans Fletcher Magee/Wofford (any addition that can hit 3's @ a 40% clip) from being a serious Final Four contender.

I expect UCF, Memphis and UConn to make the strongest cases for bids out of the AAC. Memphis of course with a great shot at the auto.

Yesterday had some great peach ice cream at the Dairy Barn with parents. Soccer camp starting, tons of construction and of course renewed optimism surrounding the 2018-19 season for the Huskies.

pj

Reaction Score
Last year we had ranked in conference teams on our sched. We are always under stress to win nonconference games early, and it will be worse this year. Those games against teams with a number are all big. It’s no good to play the conference sched against no rank teams.

Rhode Island did it last year, and they had an OK season.

Reaction Score
My biggest fear at this point is that he bolts for a job at Kansas, Kentucky, Duke (Probably the only jobs that could conceivably be viewed as major upgrades. But we could probably keep pace financially.). Or the NBA (but he doesn't seem like the type to want that). He feels like he idolizes the greats of college ball, and sees himself as much as a teacher as he does a coach.
If he becomes a big winner here i dont see him leaving for any of those jobs especially the Duke job. His brother was a duke guy not him. If you get the Uconn program back to the level of the 90s and most of the early 2000s how would any of those schools possibly be more appealing? He said Uconn was his dream job and something about him makes me believe that. Lets not forget Jim Calhoun came from Northeastern and could have bolted for another job but he never did. I think Hurley is here to stay.

pj

Reaction Score
If he becomes a big winner here i dont see him leaving for any of those jobs especially the Duke job. His brother was a duke guy not him. If you get the Uconn program back to the level of the 90s and most of the early 2000s how would any of those schools possibly be more appealing? He said Uconn was his dream job and something about him makes me believe that. Lets not forget Jim Calhoun came from Northeastern and could have bolted for another job but he never did. I think Hurley is here to stay.

His experience and recruiting connections are in the northeast -- his career has been New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut -- he recruits New England/NYC/mid-Atlantic. UConn has good facilities and fans and brand. It will be hard to get a better job all things considered, assuming conference realignment and state budget troubles don't devalue UConn too far.

Reaction Score
Jokes aside, you can listen to Hurley talk for 5 minutes and you know this team is destined to return to greatness. It might not be this year or next. But it will happen. The guy will be among the greats in college basketball history, you can just feel it.

He doesnt have the style of an NBA coach. He's a motivator, similar to calhoun. Imo Calhouns greatest strength was motivation. Kids played like he** for him.

Great defensive coach. Limited offensively. That doesn't translate well to the league.

Reaction Score

Ya. I think he will be a long term coach here and really create his own legacy defining and maintaining UConn as a national power. We're like the newly rich, a newer blue blood; they don't quite want to let us in. We don't have the older history and continued longevity of some of these other " blue bloods". We get bandied about as one when we are playing at a premier level, but lately not so much. Danny Hurley wants to return UConn to the upper echelons of college hoops and keep us there. Perennial top ten program. Can't speak to the money differentials of coaching elsewhere, but Hurley is a northeast guy, loves family and home, and there is just as much glory in bringing championships to UConn as there would be anywhere else. There is also a ton of prestige in being victorious over one's opponents, being a Duke killer, a Kansas killer, despatching North Carolina and Michigan St.,, whuppin up on Kentucky, beating Villanova, Syracuse, Gonzaga, UCLA, and Florida. Who did I leave out? You get my drift.

I think he will be happy here, he's a straight shooter and meant what he said his opening press conference. UConn is the place where Danny Hurley will make his coaching legacy.

Reaction Score

except the average high school kid doesn't know what bad PR is, doesn't know who Emmert is, etc. you're pitch works against fans though.

Reaction Score

Among the greats in college basketball history? I mean, it's possible, but I think this is more a case of overreacting to things like promise, energy, and competence when we haven't had that in a couple years. My gut tells me he's a good coach who won't necessarily always stand out nationally - which is fine.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Among the greats in college basketball history? I mean, it's possible, but I think this is more a case of overreacting to things like promise, energy, and competence when we haven't had that in a couple years. My gut tells me he's a good coach who won't necessarily always stand out nationally - which is fine.

Ollie-ista.

Reaction Score
I shall remember this post forever and relentlessly drag it out in five years :cool:

...And presumably you won’t care because you’ve got a win win situation on this.

But for real. I’m sticking with it. Hall of fame is coming for Hurley like a freight train and UConn is riding that train back to the top.

Reaction Score
I think it’s better we are not ranked in the preseason polls. Hopefully the team will play with a chip on their shoulder and feel like they have to prove everyone wrong. It seems like when they are expected to be ranked they play worse. Those preseason polls are a crap shoot anyways.

Reaction Score

lol pump the brakes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom