ESPN preseason ranking | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ESPN preseason ranking

Reaction Score
What exactly are the “huge question marks”? We have the most talented roster in the country, we have the best player in the country, there is not a single player on our 14 woman roster that is not either a starter or a heavy rotational player on all but four or five teams in the country, we finally have a top quality big with real size, we have an elite recruiting class that includes the #1 player who appears to be a generational talent, we have an experienced backup PG who starred in a system that is virtually identical to ours, Azzi is looking like she will finally be healthy this season, KK & Ash have experience, Aubrey is looking good, we have a highly ranked backup (with experience) for Jana in Ice Brady, it is looking like Ayanna and Caroline might actually be able to play, and we have a bevy of good to elite shooters! I’m shocked we’re not number one! Nothing personal, but 8-12 is simply ludicrous! Anyone who ranks this team out of the top five is either delusional or biased! I could see Caroline and Ayanna as question marks and Azzi & Aubrey as perhaps uncertain as to when they will be fully cleared but even so, there is plenty of talent to carry this team until Azzi and Aubrey are ready. I’d love to hear the 8-11 teams that are better than us right now?
I realize it is preseason, but I'm scratching my head over some of these posts stating UConn doesn't deserve a #2 or 3 pre-season ranking. Have they forgotten that Paige is still on the roster? Last year was more of a question mark for UConn because it was unknown how quickly or well Paige would perform a year off from injury/surgery. All I can say is that she's the frontrunner for NPOY, and any team that has a former NPOY on their team has extremely high aspirations.

Regardless of who is and isn't ready to begin the season, UConn has Paige, Ashlynn, KK, Kaitlyn Chen (a 5th-year player), Ice Brady, the number #1 recruit and Jana El Alfy for starters. As somebody stated previously, it doesn't matter how many players you have, only 5 can play at a time.

There are 8-10 programs that are stocked with talent this year, UConn among them. Even though SC returns almost everyone from its NC team, I'll stack UConn's roster against anyone. Each season, it seems a player that was unexpected to contribute, makes a sizable one. Last year, it was KK & Ashlynn. This season, this year's (LLS) is Kaitlyn Chen, and Qadence Samuels will show dramatic improvement in her overall game. However, my sleeper pick is Ayanna. Freshman year, her offense was nonexistent. However, she looks taller & stronger. We know she's athletic, and I feel she's going to make her presence felt on the glass and offensively, by just playing and not overthinking like she did her first season.

This is Paige's team outright, and I expect her to minimize those in-game lapses from last season. She's healthy, stronger and it will help that she won't accumulate as many minutes. Even subtracting Azzi, Caroline & Aubrey, UConn has the requisite talent to challenge for a NC.

After the past 3 seasons, UConn is overdue for some positive juju. Geno can take his time incorporating last year's injured players into the mix as he has other horses in the barn, ready to show what they can do.

Reaction Score
We showed last season with a limited and pretty much inexperienced roster how to stop top teams some of which we will face this season with a much deeper roster and a more talented roster. If we are healthy and it appears from early reports we are we are the team to beat. Paige, surrounded by all this talent will be almost unstoppable. That alone will carry us. Paige Azzi and Chen give us guards who can score and create and no team in WCBB has a trio like that. Playing defense like we did last season with more experience and a deeper roster with height tells me we are gonna be really really tuff to beat. The keys are stay healthy. We have way to much talent and depth of talent to not be able to handle opponents. I was thinking the past few seasons it would be the Paige and Azzi show. This year will be only with alot more talent surrounding them who can play up to their standards. We're Back. Bigger Stronger and Deeper then ever

I am blinded by the offensive potential this year but the defense could be even better. As good as they were they couldn't play high pressure. They had to avoid fouls and they had to play long minutes. The depth will allow Geno to play up tempo on offense and defense. Open shots early in the possession by the elite shooters will be encouraged.

Reaction Score
I am blinded by the offensive potential this year but the defense could be even better. As good as they were they couldn't play high pressure. They had to avoid fouls and they had to play long minutes. The depth will allow Geno to play up tempo on offense and defense. Open shots early in the possession by the elite shooters will be encouraged.
Defensive wise, we’ve got a decent showing:

Paige, resident point forward, elite anticipation IQ. Can tip the pass or steal it before it gets to the opponent.

Ashlynn, a great man to man defender on perimeter players, not as effective if they’re scrappy (like a Hannah or like Gabbie)

KK, able to cover scrappy players and pickpocket if needed. Puts pressure on the ball handler or the off ball mover.

Aubrey, athletic and quick. Will fight for the rebound and go for the steal and the fast break.

Kaitlyn, fairly scrappy as well. Good IQ, sticks to her girl. Had some great defense back in the Ivy’s against Harmoni Turner, a 5 star recruit from Harvard. Completely shut her down, and Turner is incredibly scrappy.

Morgan seems to be a good defender, given her show at the Jordan Classic a while back and her longer wingspan makes her a difficult presence to get by.

Sarah, a big body to try and drive on/post up. She makes it incredibly difficult to make the shot on, especially if you’re under the basket.

Jana has some high defensive IQ plays in the FIBA cup before she got hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom