ESPN Podcast w/Jim Calhoun | The Boneyard

ESPN Podcast w/Jim Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was waiting to hear JC say something to the effect "if we do this or if X and Y do this, we have a chance to be a special team" but I did not hear it. Is he trying to manage fan expectations or is he bringing his team back to earth and then build them up? I don't know but time is running out. Definitely calling out lamb to be more of a leader though...

Reaction Score
Did Calhoun say that Tyler 'Brown' didn't see Roscoe on the last play of the game??

Maybe I'm having trouble understanding his words, but it reminded me of Jim Nantz calling Boone 'Josh Brown' during the 2004 semi against Duke.

Reaction Score
Kind of optimistic after hearing the Podcast. Seems JC still has a lot of faith in the team and thinks they can go far in the NCAAT.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I wonder why he made the rounds this week? Sportscenter guest, espn podcast, podcast w/ Dana O'Neil. Great exposure.

Reaction Score
I think JC is taking the same approach he did last season. The goal is to win the NC, not the Big East regular season. Essentially, just survive the Big East schedule, take some losses here and there, and try to focus on what your team will need to do come tournament time. A couple losses here and there during the regular season don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. JC even said last year that the team took their foot off the gas during the regular season to rest players a little bit and get them ready for tournament play. I think that is why the offense often looks more stagnant with less movement during the regular season and then gets much better during March.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I think JC is taking the same approach he did last season. The goal is to win the NC, not the Big East regular season. Essentially, just survive the Big East schedule, take some losses here and there, and try to focus on what your team will need to do come tournament time. A couple losses here and there during the regular season don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. JC even said last year that the team took their foot off the gas during the regular season to rest players a little bit and get them ready for tournament play. I think that is why the offense often looks more stagnant with less movement during the regular season and then gets much better during March.

I don't know ... not sure I entirely buy that. You don't think Calhoun wants to go 32-0?

Do I think he works things into the gameplan that might not necessarily work out in their favor for the game but will pay off in the long run? Yes.

Do I think he has his players take their foot off the pedal? Absolutely not.

Reaction Score
The way it looks now we have to be realist in what this team is. No deep threat from the small forward spot is killing this offense. Shabazz pounding it on the floor when lamb pops open is ridiculous. They need RB to have any chance. Drummond can't score unless he's inside 8 feet. He will be great but centers don't win NCAA championships, guards do. Play Allen more. He looks solid to me.

Reaction Score

Not sure JC would be so casual, we're still nowhere near a lock for the tournament.

Reaction Score
Not sure JC would be so casual, we're still nowhere near a lock for the tournament.

You're right. Not saying it will happen, but if we go 6-6 over the last twelve we'll be near the bubble, no?

Reaction Score
Since the 2004 NC, JC has gone to hell and back.

From the Williams and AJ thing, to the GM loss, to the screaming at Stanley, Wiggins, and Gavin, to the Nate Miles fiasco, to the FF loss, to the awful 2009-2010 campaign, JC took a ton of shots as a HC.

Then he had the pure joy of last year. NC joy. Think of how many teams have (i) never won a NC; (ii) teams that fail to live up to expectations for multiple decades.

JC now has every conceivable kind of big win:
1999 was his first and he defeated a bear of a team
2004 was the year he was supposed to win and he did
2011 came out of nowhere

Although I am worried about this year as much as most fans, I'm sure JC is resting easy knowing that last year was his and his alone. It was so special for him that maybe he's just ok with everything from here on out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Since the 2004 NC, JC has gone to hell and back.

From the Williams and AJ thing, to the GM loss, to the screaming at Stanley, Wiggins, and Gavin, to the Nate Miles fiasco, to the FF loss, to the awful 2009-2010 campaign, JC took a ton of shots as a HC.

Then he had the pure joy of last year. NC joy. Think of how many teams have (i) never won a NC; (ii) teams that fail to live up to expectations for multiple decades.

JC now has every conceivable kind of big win:
1999 was his first and he defeated a bear of a team
2004 was the year he was supposed to win and he did
2011 came out of nowhere

Although I am worried about this year as much as most fans, I'm sure JC is resting easy knowing that last year was his and his alone. It was so special for him that maybe he's just ok with everything from here on out.
Your last line sums up my position perfectly. I'm not sure it sums up JC, but who knows.

Reaction Score
The way it looks now we have to be realist in what this team is. No deep threat from the small forward spot is killing this offense. Shabazz pounding it on the floor when lamb pops open is ridiculous. They need RB to have any chance. Drummond can't score unless he's inside 8 feet. He will be great but centers don't win NCAA championships, guards do. Play Allen more. He looks solid to me.
What center does score outside 8 feet? Agree with the SF spot and Bazz overdribbling tho. Not sure Allen is the answer, but its worth a shot at this point I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom