ESPN NBA Scouting Video on Bouknight vs. USC | The Boneyard

ESPN NBA Scouting Video on Bouknight vs. USC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i'm confused by that mobley comment. I mean, he was getting completely shut down by whaley... that does not bode well for his projected abilities at the next level vs nba bigs. Whaley was playing incredible defense, maybe he should have been thrown a bone here in the tweet

Reaction Score
i'm confused by that mobley comment. I mean, he was getting completely shut down by whaley... that does not bode well for his projected abilities at the next level vs nba bigs. Whaley was playing incredible defense, maybe he should have been thrown a bone here in the tweet

I'm not. Absolutely saw the potential in flashes (drive to the lane in the very beginning, the rebound put back play in the second half). I am just glad we played them before that kid knows how good he is. Kevin Durant immediately popped in my head in terms of body type and skill.

Reaction Score
Mobley’s stat line is misleading because he scored over half his points from the charity stripe. Well maybe that shows his shooting ability. I think Whaley out played him, that doesn’t mean Whaley is a better player though.

Reaction Score
I'm not. Absolutely saw the potential in flashes (drive to the lane in the very beginning, the rebound put back play in the second half). I am just glad we played them before that kid knows how good he is. Kevin Durant immediately popped in my head in terms of body type and skill.
kevin durant ? Really? Ok I guess we were watching through different lenses. To me he seemed a bit like jaren jackson without the shooting. I will say enfield was kind of questionable with the way he was involving him, and he was also rabidly doubled early in the game, so maybe he has a bit more to show.

Reaction Score
Me watching that tape again - Bouknight's 3's off dribble need to be a staple of his offense - will open up the floor for his teammates, and he can get it whenever he wants.

Like if we get bogged down with Gaffney going into glitch mode standing 35 feet from the rim as we did in the second half, you are telling me 3 or 4 possessions of bouk taking the rock, getting a high ball screen and bombing away is less efficient? Lets go Bouk, green light, 20 shots per game.

Reaction Score
kevin durant ? Really? Ok I guess we were watching through different lenses. To me he seemed a bit like jaren jackson without the shooting. I will say enfield was kind of questionable with the way he was involving him, and he was also rabidly doubled early in the game, so maybe he has a bit more to show.

I don't think he's as good as Durant - that was just who popped into my head watching him play in terms of being 7 foot, slender with some guard skills - he def has a long way to go. Jaren Jackson is a good comp as well (although Mobley not as physical) - he was the #4 pick, so we are still talking in the same range.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DH just needs to stay on JB to be the leader and take more shots when our offense is stagnant. There were a few instances I picked up on where he should have done more:
1) There were several times in the game where he used up 2 or 3 dribbles to get by his man either at the 3 pt line or just inside, creating enough space for a shot (like his very first play of the game against Buffalo last year where he pump faked, took a step and shot inside the 3 line) but then hesitated and didn’t shoot and passed the ball back to Cole or Gaff back outside the 3 line. He needs to take more of these shots he creates for himself. In the NBA he will only have a split second to shoot so he needs to start utilizing this now. He’s so good at getting to that spot to shoot or find a man inside.

2) He absolutely needed to keep the ball in his hand at the end of the 1st half. You could tell that’s how the play was drawn up when Cole gave it back to him at the top of the key, but then he gave the ball right back to Cole and we ended up with a terrible shot that was forced by Cole, he had no choice. He needs to engrain in his head that he is the man and needs the ball in his hands anytime the clock is winding down or we need a basket.
Hopefully he starts to get it soon. I do believe he will, but this will be so important once Big east play starts.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bouknight is very good. He can be better, but he's a guy who is really going to be even better when playing with better guys. Often, I don't think his teammates recognize what he's doing. It frustrates him. His basketball IQ is so high.

Mobley is just raw potential. That's how the NBA drafts now, so I expect him to be a very high pick. Probably not #1. He really doesn't quite know what he's doing out there and just relies on athleticism and individual ability. His basketball IQ isn't great yet. He looks like a guy who would benefit from two years in college but won't get it.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Me watching that tape again - Bouknight's 3's off dribble need to be a staple of his offense - will open up the floor for his teammates, and he can get it whenever he wants.

Like if we get bogged down with Gaffney going into glitch mode standing 35 feet from the rim as we did in the second half, you are telling me 3 or 4 possessions of bouk taking the rock, getting a high ball screen and bombing away is less efficient? Lets go Bouk, green light, 20 shots per game.
I think we need to turn him into a volume shooter too. The other options are not playing great. Plus he attracts so many eyeballs and has such a great feel he can set up Whaley and Martin for easy looks down low all day

Reaction Score
Mobley dominated the game on the defensive end and scored 17 points on 10 shots with 4 offensive rebounds.

Yes, Whaley did pretty well, but didn't shut him down, and bear in mind that Whaley is 3.5 years older than Mobley and USC was playing without their point guard to get him fed correctly. Carlton also worked him on the glass, although the zone D didn't help with matching up for rebounding.

He also stepped out on the perimeter, although he didn't make any. The threat will just make him more dangerous if he can hit it at a reasonable clip.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Whaley should be thrown a bone, sure. But jesus Mobley has the tools.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Sam Vecenie (Draft analyst for The Athletic) on his most recent podcast, which was recorded during the UConn game (minor paraphrasing):

“By the way, James Bouknight has 11 points in 4 minutes. I think he’s a lottery pick. I love him. He’s a joke at the college level right now.”

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Mobley was dominant, we had to double team him for most of the game. The only area he got worked was on the boards.

Reaction Score

mobley also made free throws and made the right decision out of the double team almost every time. He’s very poised

Reaction Score
Mobley was very impressive in a game that looked nothing like how he'll play in the NBA (minimal PnR and terrible floor spacing). That one skip pass immediately out of the double-team to the opposite wing for a wide open three was impressive. He's the 3rd pick at worst right now. He will be a nightmare pick-and-pop guy.

The KD comp is way off. Mobley is a stretch 5. He's a better version of Jaren Jackson Jr or a more agile LaMarcus Aldridge. Maybe a dash of Porzingis. Kid will be an outstanding pro.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Mobley’s stat line is misleading because he scored over half his points from the charity stripe. Well maybe that shows his shooting ability. I think Whaley out played him, that doesn’t mean Whaley is a better player though.
Well, Josh Carlton outscored and outrebounded James Wiseman in both February 2020 games against Memphis, and almost everybody had predicted otherwise.

Reaction Score
You had me there for a second, just because of how much of an adventure this board has been lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom