ESPN mid-season awards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN mid-season awards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saying it doesn't really matter what ESPNW thinks (or speculates), the awards come from someplace else.

Similarly, this board should have no posts about rankings, since the NC comes from someplace else (the tournament).
And there should be no posts about RPI, since seeding comes from someplace else (the committee).
And there should be no posts about starters, since that decision cones from someplace else (Geno).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Just saying it doesn't really matter what ESPNW thinks (or speculates), the awards come from someplace else.

Personally, I figure, there will be some split of the awards this year. I imagine Stewart will pick up at least 1 of them.

ESPNW does their own awards at season-end. I'd say their awards have as much validity as anyone else's. They just don't have trophies and a ceremony. I bet their voters watch as much or more basketball than the voters for any other award.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
ESPNW does their own awards at season-end. I'd say their awards have as much validity as anyone else's. They just don't have trophies and a ceremony. I bet their voters watch as much or more basketball than the voters for any other award.
Sure but it isn't the Wade, or Wooden, or Naismith or AP. Those are the ones that matter, get you up on the Huskies Wall of Honor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Similarly, this board should have no posts about rankings, since the NC comes from someplace else (the tournament).
And there should be no posts about RPI, since seeding comes from someplace else (the committee).
And there should be no posts about starters, since that decision cones from someplace else (Geno).
It's not really that hard to understand. Try.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sure but it isn't the Wade, or Wooden, or Naismith or AP. Those are the ones that matter, get you up on the Huskies Wall of Honor.

Right, but what "matters" is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that those are more prestigious. I just think ESPN's awards are worthy of discussing in their own right.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Right, but what "matters" is in the eye of the beholder. I agree that those are more prestigious. I just think ESPN's awards are worthy of discussing in their own right.
Oh I got no problem discussing them. It's just they don't really pertain or matter to the "real" awards. Whatever ESPNW thinks doesn't really have anything to do with the NPOY awards.

Reaction Score
The ESPN mid-season are the opinions of 4 members of the media who follow the sport very closely and surely are aware of what's being talked about in WCBB circles. What they say surely reflects and influences the conventional wisdom about WCBB players. There is no doubt their thoughts are correlated with the thoughts of those who vote on the end of the year awards.

Reaction Score
How about the double and triple teams that Breanna faces most of the time when she has the ball. Then there's the grabbing, shoving, pushing and everything else they try to stop her. Breanna doesn't have to put up huge numbers for UConn to win, Jewel Loyd does.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The ESPN mid-season are the opinions of 4 members of the media who follow the sport very closely and surely are aware of what's being talked about in WCBB circles. What they say surely reflects and influences the conventional wisdom about WCBB players. There is no doubt their thoughts are correlated with the thoughts of those who vote on the end of the year awards.
I agree. I'm willing to bet that, historically, there is a strong correlation between ESPN and the actual awards. Disregard at your own risk. Of course, many things can happen between now and the end of the season.

I find it somewhat unfortunate that post season tournament performance is excluded from POY awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom