ESPN List top 100 transfers eligible for 2019 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN List top 100 transfers eligible for 2019

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Lol, your points are nonsense, with vague assertions of "micro-trends" and nonsensical assertions of UConn homers and "inferior" programs. There's nothing there to talk about. Sorry.

It's not nonsense. Parity is at an all-time high in the college game. Look at who made the Final Four last year, and look at who played in the championship. Virginia Tech and Houston were in the Sweet 16. Schools like Alabama and Arkansas are now ponying up to pull in the top mid-major coaches on the market nationwide (there's plenty else to be said about other SEC schools like Auburn and LSU increa$ing their inve$tment$ in their basketball programs as well). USC, Texas Tech, and DePaul all have multiple recruits in ESPN's top 100.
This is a vastly different environment than the last time UConn was at the top of the mountain. Schools that "never won a thing," as Jibsey put it, are recruiting and performing at a higher level than they ever have. How much do you think Dan Hurley improving really changes that in the grand scheme of things?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Lol, nope. In your chosen career you need to will need to read and interpret with accuracy. It looks like you might want to work that skill set.

Counselor, I think you might be the one who needs to work on your accuracy.

A poster said that recruits were committing to "schools that never won a thing." I told him that this was what the future would look like, and that he should get used to it. You replied that you disagreed. It's right here on this page. Just because you made a mistake and took a position that's difficult to defend doesn't mean it never happened.

Reaction Score
Grad transfer Tyler Scanlon from BU just entered the portal earlier today.

Not a "big", but a 6'7 215 forward who averaged 13.8p, 5.0r, 3.3a, 1.4s and a high 30s career 3P shooter.

Would literally be the 2nd heaviest player on the team and a guy who could be a good backup 3/4 as the 10th/11th man.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You create these things in your head. Yep, UConn fans don't think there are any other programs playing D1 basketball. Stick with that.

Why is it that every time I point out something dubious another poster says in a publicly readable post, you accuse me of making it up? Again, the posts are right here in this thread.

Besides, there have been tons of threads out there the past few years about how people have stopped following college basketball in general now that UConn is no longer going to final fours and sending players into the lottery. You can plug your ears and pretend that everything that pokes a hole in your worldview is fake. That must be a pretty sad existence though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Counselor, I think you might be the one who needs to work on your accuracy.

A poster said that recruits were committing to "schools that never won a thing." I told him that this was what the future would look like, and that he should get used to it. You replied that you disagreed. It's right here on this page. Just because you made a mistake and took a position that's difficult to defend doesn't mean it never happened.
Lol, I've never said that I am an attorney but August used to like to in the Cesspool. You keep talking about "this poster said this, that poster said that" as if any of that particularly matters to whether Hurley will be successful or not. You need to distinguish the wheat from the chaff. Again that is a skill you will need to cultivate. BY opinions have exactly zero impact on how successful Hurley will be and are equally useless as a predictor of his success. You understand that right?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Lol, I've never said that I am an attorney but August used to like to in the Cesspool. You keep talking about "this poster said this, that poster said that" as if any of that particularly matters to whether Hurley will be successful or not. You need to distinguish the wheat from the chaff. Again that is a skill you will need to cultivate. BY opinions have exactly zero impact on how successful Hurley will be and are equally useless as a predictor of his success. You understand that right?

At no point did I claim that BY opinions had anything to do with Hurley's success IRL. I'm not sure why you're making that assertion. Seems to me like you're moving the goalposts.

I put in that chronology because, as you've demonstrated here, you like to intentionally muck up what's actually being debated. Good-faith public debate and dishonesty are not compatible.

Reaction Score
While I think we would all agree that depth at the 5 is going to be an issue next season, Hurley has already said multiple times (articles and the recent podcast) that he's not going to reach to fill an immediate need. He would rather wait and get someone next year who can help the program long term rather than "waste" a scholarship on someone not good enough. He is looking at the long term and thinks this is a better way to get UConn back to national prominence.

So I think at this point we need to trust him that he's building this thing back up the slow hard way which will end up paying off more in the end with sustainable long term success.

Reaction Score
While I think we would all agree that depth at the 5 is going to be an issue next season, Hurley has already said multiple times (articles and the recent podcast) that he's not going to reach to fill an immediate need. He would rather wait and get someone next year who can help the program long term rather than "waste" a scholarship on someone not good enough. He is looking at the long term and thinks this is a better way to get UConn back to national prominence.

So I think at this point we need to trust him that he's building this thing back up the slow hard way which will end up paying off more in the end with sustainable long term success.

I agree that I don't want a scholarship tied up for four years because we feel desperate this year. I trust that Hurley had his staff know what they are doing. My only issue would be if we don't fill a scholarship (should it open up) when we possibly could have had Ntambwe. However, many on the board feel we are in good position with Valdir Manuel. He would fill a need this year and beyond, but he wouldn't stop us from pursuing front-line talent going forward.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I fully understand what Stain is saying in response to a certain statement.
I respect CL82's loyalty and fervor for DH
My stance is let him show me what he can do in the next 2 years, I really think he has found that the recruitment game is not as easy as he thought it would be - this ain't the old BE and it isnt Wagner or URI
His 2020 class is his 1st big test because he is going to have to get some quality big players - 4 and 5s
We already know he can recruit guards - there are so many out there
I think he needs to get "lucky" once with a real quality big and things will work a little easier - all it takes is one to get the ball rolling
I think he can get it done - was really hoping it would happen this year

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I respect CL82's loyalty and fervor for Dan Hurley
My stance is let him show me what he can do in the next 2 years, I really think he has found that the recruitment game is not as easy as he thought it would be - this ain't the old BE and it isnt Wagner or URI
His 2020 class is his 1st big test because he is going to have to get some quality big players - 4 and 5s
I think he needs to get "lucky" once with a real quality big and things will work a little easier - all it takes is one to get the ball rolling

No CL is absolutely right about Hurley and you’re wrong.

Reaction Score
No Hurley's big test in recruiting was this year and to anyone with objective eyes he passed

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No one just wants a body, but someone who can compete and help.
Let's see how the summer ends up as anything can happened before the end of August when school starts

Reaction Score

I think that Hurley's recruiting got off to an excellent start in 2019, but also that recruiting is and will be different than at URI and Wagner. It's hard to be disappointed with Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, and Cole. They all look to be quality players who will both fill team needs and fit Hurley's system. I do think that Hurley will find the type of player he is targeting at UConn is more likely to get grabbed by another school at the last minute for whatever reason (Kofi, Precious, even Wahab) than the players he recruited at his previous schools. Still, while we're far from being an elite team again, a few classes like our 2019 class should make us a solid Sweet 16 team sooner rather than later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom