ESPN Is Trying To Help UConn? | The Boneyard

ESPN Is Trying To Help UConn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So says the poster, Eerlaw11, on the WVU board:

Lastly, I had discussed at length in the past how ESPN would look out for UConn because of the breaks the state of Conn. has given ESPN. The reason UConn has been mentioned in affiliation with every conference is for this very reason. ESPN is trying to sell the UConn brand.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=11053629&p=17
If they were really trying to help UConn, I don't think we'd be where we are.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt ESPN did anything to help us. Like the poster said above, if they did we won't be where we are. I guess it is better be late than never. Let's hope we land in a safe spot vs. another frying pan. I do think ACC is gonna get bend over in the coming days. Let's hope it will happen soon so we can move on.

Reaction Score
"I do think ACC is gonna get bend over in the coming days".

Why do you say that?

pj

Reaction Score
I'm sure ESPN would like to have UConn's content be with ESPN, not Fox.

It's not clear they will be able to achieve that.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Why on earth do people keep quoting people from West Virginia... its West Virginia for goodness sake. Do they have some special phones in their moonshine stills that give them the inside scoop to what B1G is doing? Goodness everyone just take a deep breath and don't the fumes get to you.

Reaction Score
Why on earth do people keep quoting people from West Virginia... its West Virginia for goodness sake. Do they have some special phones in their moonshine stills that give them the inside scoop to what B1G is doing? Goodness everyone just take a deep breath and don't the fumes get to you.

35 posts and you're the boss here? Go back under your rock or talk to yourself with one of your other usernames.

Reaction Score
It's because they have these special listening devices in their mouths where their tooths used to be. Add some unregulated liquid refreshment, turn the single wide sideways and point your musket to the sky and you can hear everything. Include some things you don't want to hear like Cousin Jed and his kin Elli Mae havin fun in the back of the pick-up.

Reaction Score
Yes. Like the cat is trying to help the mouse, and the Germans are trying to help the French.
Do you think we have drawn some special ire from espn? If so, why? Calhoun, lawsuit,?

Really like to know why you think this. Thanks

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Do you think we have drawn some special ire from espn? If so, why? Calhoun, lawsuit,?

At this point, the burden of proof is on those who think ESPN is NOT trying to destroy UConn's athletic program. Just look at the last 2 years. How can you reach any other conclusion?

Reaction Score
Why? I'm not saying it is or isn't true. I want to know what reason our reasons exist for espnTo want to target UConn? There has to be something tangible that be identified as a turning point. Why not Pitt, who spearheaded turning down of the espn contract.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think ESPN was clearly and shamelessly targeting the Big East. I think they were indifferent in helping UConn when the ACC was choosing teams. If ESPN valued UConn at a premium over Pitt, Cuse or Louisville, (i.e., if it meant another $1m/school over the life of the contract) then the ACC would have picked us in spite of Flippy and Shalalala. The numbers were close enough that we couldn't overcome their 'No' votes.

Reaction Score
If ESPN was trying to help UConn then there is no way that Louisville would have jumped us in the last ACC expansion. ESPN likes having UConn because its right up the road, etc. but they aren't going to hurt their bottom line to have UConn's games on their network.

Reaction Score
That espn set out to destroy the big east is not even debatable. The question is of the schools in the big east, why hurt UConn the most.

Reaction Score
Why? I'm not saying it is or isn't true. I want to know what reason our reasons exist for espnTo want to target UConn? There has to be something tangible that be identified as a turning point. Why not Pitt, who spearheaded turning down of the espn contract.

I'm not sure what you're point is, but even if we were just collateral damage, your amnesia reminds me of an old story:

One autumn day, Noey is escaping his wife's nagging, wandering up the mountains with his dog, Wolf. Hearing his name being shouted, Noey discovers that the speaker is a man dressed in antiquated Dutch clothing, carrying a keg up the mountain, who requires Rip's help. Without exchanging words, the two hike up to an amphitheatre-like hollow in which Noey discovers the source of previously-heard thunderous noises: there is a group of other ornately-dressed, silent, bearded men who are playing nine-pins. Although there is no conversation and Noey does not ask the men who they are or how they know his name, he discreetly begins to drink some of their liquor, and soon falls asleep.
He awakes in unusual circumstances: It seems to be morning, his gun is rotted and rusty, his beard has grown a foot long, and Wolf is nowhere to be found. Noey returns to his village where he finds that he recognizes no one. Asking around, he discovers that his wife has died and that his close friends have died in a war or gone somewhere else. He immediately gets into trouble when he proclaims himself a loyal subject of King George III, not knowing that the American Revolution has taken place; George III's portrait on the town inn has been replaced by that of George Washington. Noey is also disturbed to find another man is being called Rip Van Winkle (though this is in fact his son, who has now grown up).
The men he met in the mountains, Noey learns, are rumored to be the ghosts of Hendrick (Henry) Hudson's crew. Noey is told that he has apparently been away from the village for twenty years. An old local recognizes Noey and Noey's now-adult daughter takes him in. Noey resumes his habitual idleness, and his tale is solemnly taken to heart by the Dutch settlers, with other hen-pecked husbands, after hearing his story, wishing they could share in Noey's good luck, and have the luxury of sleeping through the decimation of the Big East conference..

Reaction Score
I'm not defending espn. I even buy that they vowed to destroy the big east and did. I want to know why some believe they have targeted UCONN. There has to be a reason our set of them.

I am seriously interested in what folks think it was/is.

I believe espn could save us if they wanted to, that I do believe question is why don't they?

Reaction Score
At this point, the burden of proof is on those who think ESPN is NOT trying to destroy UConn's athletic program. Just look at the last 2 years. How can you reach any other conclusion?

Ahh, of course. UConn is the most desireable program in all of college sports, so there must have been a conspiracy by ESPN to keep it out of the B10/ACC/etc.

Reaction Score

No. No special ire at all. However, for what Connecticut taxpayers are giving them, I would have liked more than passive neutrality.

Reaction Score

Most of the "talent" are arrogant, egotistical d'heads. They hate living in Connecticut and take it out on UConn.

Reaction Score
Anyone with money that hates living in West Hartford, Farmington, Avon etc. is a . Great place to live when you have a cool job at Espn.

Reaction Score
Anyone with money that hates living in West Hartford, Farmington, Avon etc. is a . Great place to live when you have a cool job at Espn.
Compared to what? Southington? Bristol?

Reaction Score

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104