ESPN has us with ten 3-stars | The Boneyard

ESPN has us with ten 3-stars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Never really liked the way ESPN does their ratings, diggs is a boss and he's unrated. Prime example.

Reaction Score
The AAC is doing very well recruiting wise. Still a very good football league.

Per ESPN:

Houston 23 three star commits
Cincy 24 three star
USF 5 four star 18 three star (wow)
SMU 1 four star 18 three star
Temple 15 three star
Memphis 16 three star
UCF 2 four star 14 three star

UCF picked up a QB who had an offer from Bama.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is no question that is true.

So why do we always seem to rank higher on ESPN, a bit odd, no?

I don't know if this is the answer but ESPN's recruiting numbers have minimal effect on Disney's bottom line. Very few people are paying ESPN a subscription fee to get their recruiting info. Scout? Rivals? 247? A bit different.

Reaction Score
I don't know if this is the answer but ESPN's recruiting numbers have minimal effect on Disney's bottom line. Very few people are paying ESPN a subscription fee to get their recruiting info. Scout? Rivals? 247? A bit different.

One reason I like ESPN is they do a good job on player evaluations. They don't just give the kid stars or numbers, they wrote an evaluation on strengths and weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I tend to prefer espn, however, they are very slow!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
As of this morning, Rivals had UConn with 3 3* players and ranked 110 out of 120.

Reaction Score
As of this morning, Rivals had UConn with 3 3* players and ranked 110 out of 120.

Who knows. Who cares. The "opinions" very so much between sites.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Conner has an article today on recruiting. The 2014 version is the boiler plate article for any program outside the top 10. I.e. those sites mean nothing.

I usually take recruiting sites with a grain of salt (Manuel and RG3 were both only 3* recruits.), but it would be nice for someone outside of southern New England to have a positive opinion of UConn's recruiting class.

I get a little bit of solice from Lemming. He's been right about UConn more that wrong the last few years.

Reaction Score
Agreed, meaningless. Never do, I mean Bama gets top classes consistently and they are never a factor in cfball.

I know you have been following UCONN football for a long time. And I think you would agree that we have had very successful (as in NFL players) players here who got 2 stars (or were completely unrated for that matter). I enjoy the hype of signing day quite a bit, but judging players by recruiting site ratings makes no sense to me. Talk to me in 4-5 years about this class.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hand in hand with the stars is the overall rankings.

UConn is 100 or worse by all the sites. Keep in mind with these rankings, quantity matters.

If one school brings in a class of 15 and they are all 3-stars, it will be ranked way below a class of 25 3-stars. Even though the players are all the same star rating.

The only thing we know for sure is that this is a small class and the next two will each be close to 25.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

We all know that National Championship teams are built on the elite 4/5 star players. The recruiting services can identify and break out the top 100-300 players in America. They lose their accuracy when they try and differentiate between the 2 and 3 star players. Sorry Charlie but they cannot consistently grade and rank the difference between the #40 OT and the #65 OT.

UConn isn't there yet and that's where Duffy makes his strongest point.

There are a thousand examples to Diaco's point and a million more when you compare cheeseburger-to-cheeseburger -- the middle-tier guys UConn can realistically target. You don't even have to look past Storrs to find the hilarity in revisiting these lists: Former Huskies wideout Brad Kanuch was the No. 35 "athlete" in the 2006 class. Richard Sherman was No. 65.
Dwayne Difton, the only non-transfer four-star in UConn's history, was the No. 39 wide receiver in the 2009 class.
Josh Gordon was No. 70. He just led the NFL in receiving.

Reaction Score
We all know that National Championship teams are built on the elite 4/5 star players. The recruiting services can identify and break out the top 100-300 players in America. They lose their accuracy when they try and differentiate between the 2 and 3 star players. Sorry Charlie but they cannot consistently grade and rank the difference between the #40 OT and the #65 OT.

There are a thousand examples to Diaco's point and a million more when you compare cheeseburger-to-cheeseburger -- the middle-tier guys UConn can realistically target. You don't even have to look past Storrs to find the hilarity in revisiting these lists: Former Huskies wideout Brad Kanuch was the No. 35 "athlete" in the 2006 class. Richard Sherman was No. 65.
Dwayne Difton, the only non-transfer four-star in UConn's history, was the No. 39 wide receiver in the 2009 class.
The top 150 players all have double digit offers at the end of their junior years. The recruiting services are what they are. They drive paying customers to a site. They really serve no other purpose than that. I still subscribe to UConn report, but truthfully its a waste money. Twitter and ESPN insider are all you need. This board breaks commits before rivals most times.

Reaction Score

Johnny Manziel (while I can't stand him) arguably the best player in college football over the last 2 years was a 3* QB.

Reaction Score
Pre-determined bias happens other places too it appears... ;)

SEC>ACC>AAC:

“@Mengus22: Shaq Jones flips from Louisville to Georgia and his rating from 247 goes from 75 to 87 on the same day. Crazy coincidence.”

Reaction Score

I don't care if a person walked on at Uconn. If he walked on and he was from Iceland throws for 500 yards a game (with a RB that does 400 yards per games) and won the NC for us, got the Heisman Trophy and went as the first pick, I would be happy. If a 5 star QB came to UConn, and flame out, I'd be mad. Rankings doesn't matter... look at the NFL and see how many UConn players are there. Were they 5 stars??

Husky25

Reaction Score
That post was just an FYI. My next post is illustrates my truer feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom