ESPN: Gonzaga’s “20 Years Of Greatness” | The Boneyard

ESPN: Gonzaga’s “20 Years Of Greatness”

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
That’s what they’ve titled an upcoming piece on the Zags.
Now, they’ve got a nice team and have been steady performers, but “greatness”? How many titles have they won in that 20-year span? If they won 2 or 3, that’s one thing. Or if they won 4...but of course, only 1 school in the last 20 years has done that...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd consider it greatness... For twenty years a mid-major has been one of the absolute top teams in the country with for the most part, mid-level recruits or transfers. Mark Few is a fabulous coach and anyone who rips them/him b/c they haven't won a title is missing the point I think.

Reaction Score
That’s what they’ve titled an upcoming piece on the Zags.
Now, they’ve got a nice team and have been steady performers, but “greatness”? How many titles have they won in that 20-year span? If they won 2 or 3, that’s one thing. Or if they won 4...but of course, only 1 school has done that in the last 20 years...

They are a good story but that title is a joke. 1 final four.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I'd consider it greatness... For twenty years a mid-major has been one of the absolute top teams in the country with for the most part, mid-level recruits or transfers. Mark Few is a fabulous coach and anyone who rips them/him b/c they haven't won a title is missing the point I think.
I heartily disagree. “Greatness” is WINNING. Getting close is not “great.”

Reaction Score
adam-morrison-crying-gonzaga_display_image.jpg

Reaction Score
Ive always equated Gonzaga as a second coming of a west coast uconn. Like Uconn they went far but never finished the job. But they never lost the momentum as a program--same we we hadnt until we won it all. Theyre trip has been longer but Im hoping they get it this year

Reaction Score

Their consistency is unbelievable. We have immediately seen the challenges of competing while in a sub par league and the WCC is a shell of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Their consistency is unbelievable. We have immediately seen the challenges of competing while in a sub par league and the WCC is a shell of the AAC.
This I agree with.

Reaction Score
Pretty confident St. Mary's was in anyway, so no bubbles burst. Some seed lines might change though.
Not according to the latest bracketology. Lunardi has them in the Next 4 Out pile.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not according to the latest bracketology. Lunardi has them in the Next 4 Out pile.

Everyone needs to remember that Lunardi's "97% accurate" only pertains to his bracket on day of the selection show, not all those brackets before. Odds are pretty good that with six days to go, at least two teams he's got in there aren't going. Probably more than that.

Reaction Score
Everyone needs to remember that Lunardi's "97% accurate" only pertains to his bracket on day of the selection show, not all those brackets before. Odds are pretty good that with six days to go, at least two teams he's got in there aren't going. Probably more than that.
Yeah, the 97% thing is a total farce. What it really boils down to is getting about 5-6 teams right. If you get two wrong, you’re more like 60%. But ESPN has figured out how to hoodwink people.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Pretty confident St. Mary's was in anyway, so no bubbles burst. Some seed lines might change though.

There's no way Saint Mary's was in as an at large. Somebody else will be staying home and watching on TV. They just stole somebody else's at large bid.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Well if he's 97% correct on the last day before Selection Sunday, surely he would be roughly 97% correct on his mid-January bracket if the season ended that day?

Reaction Score
Ive always equated Gonzaga as a second coming of a west coast uconn. Like Uconn they went far but never finished the job. But they never lost the momentum as a program--same we we hadnt until we won it all. Theyre trip has been longer but Im hoping they get it this year
When the dust settled and the AAC was formed, many UConn fans thought we would be the east coast version of Gonzaga...a storied program and perennial top 10 team dominating an unimpresive conference year after year. That has obviously not been the case, yet.

Our 6 years in the AAC has made me appreciate what Mark Few has done at Gonzaga. The AAC is a much more competitive conference than the WCC, but the bottom line is that its not easy to win at that level every single year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well if he's 97% correct on the last day before Selection Sunday, surely he would be roughly 97% correct on his mid-January bracket if the season ended that day?

Strange but fair point I guess. However, we - including Lunardi - don't really know how final NET ratings will be employed since this is the first time they're being used.

So I'll appeal to logic here... If an at-large team in the 30s in NET can't make the cutoff, then what's the point of having the NET in the first place? It would seem to me that if Q1 wins and Q3/4 losses are so important, that should've been addressed in initially formulating the NET algorithm. Seems pretty easy to do. If St. Mary's wasn't in the field, then the NCAA failed in its job by foisting a crappy RPI replacement on college hoops fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom