ESPN: Five burning questions, players to watch for the AAC in 2018-2019 | The Boneyard

ESPN: Five burning questions, players to watch for the AAC in 2018-2019

Reaction Score
Series from ESPN about all the major conferences. See, we're P6!

5. Will Dan Hurley bring UConn back?

Talent certainly isn't the issue for the Huskies, although Kevin Ollie wasn't landing the same caliber of player the past couple years that he did when he first took over for Jim Calhoun.

That said, Hurley is going to attempt to change the culture in Storrs -- and he's got the pieces to show progress relatively quickly. Jalen Adams is arguably the league's best player, while Christian Vital also returns. Tarin Smith and Kassoum Yakwe are a pair of intriguing transfers.

The Huskies aren't likely to push for an NCAA tournament bid this season, but Hurley has won at each of his stops, regardless of the talent level. He'll have the same expectations at UConn.

Five burning questions, players to watch for the AAC in 2018-19

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Talent certainly isn't the issue for the Huskies"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Five players to watch
1. Jalen Adams, UConn

i

Many thought Adams would enter the NBA draft after last season, but he returned and is the favorite for preseason Player of the Year. He averaged 18 points and nearly five assists last season and can carry the Huskies.

Reaction Score

Talent certainly isn't the issue for the Huskies, although Kevin Ollie wasn't landing the same caliber of player the past couple years that he did when he first took over for Jim Calhoun.

That said, Hurley is going to attempt to change the culture in Storrs -- and he's got the pieces to show progress relatively quickly. Jalen Adams is arguably the league's best player, while Christian Vital also returns. Tarin Smith and Kassoum Yakwe are a pair of intriguing transfers.

The Huskies aren't likely to push for an NCAA tournament bid this season, but Hurley has won at each of his stops, regardless of the talent level. He'll have the same expectations at UConn.

Five players to watch
1. Jalen Adams, UConn

i

Many thought Adams would enter the NBA draft after last season, but he returned and is the favorite for preseason Player of the Year. He averaged 18 points and nearly five assists last season and can carry the Huskies.

Another "tons of talent, great coach; no tournment" preview.

What am I missing??

Reaction Score
It's not just buy-in. They have to basically relearn and forget a bunch of bad habits. Sometimes that happens right away and sometimes it takes 1.5-2 years

Right I agree, but say that in these previews!

It makes no sense to keep saying "winning coach, best player in the league, intriguing transfers, but .500 record"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The way I see it, for years on the way up UConn got insufficient pre-season respect, broke through, then got steady respect, and had, starting in 2014 an a nflated presumption of quality that made it take longer to drop out of the Top 25. This, sadly, has solidified into a cautious stance now that UConn has demonstrated that it would not be to AAC what Memphis once was to C-USA or what WBB still is to AAC.

Adjusted expectations require going with the "underpromise and overdeliver" thing, as well as proving that travel to Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans don't exhaust or distract. For Wichita & Greenville, it's more exhaust.

One game at a time.

Reaction Score

Actually the talent the first couple of years was awful
1. Omar , Leon, Phil Nolan
2 Brimah,Facey ,Samuel
3 Lubin , Hamilton
4 Adams, Enoch
5 Jackson, Gilbert, Vital, Diarra , Durham
6 Polley, Carlton, Whaley, Wilson

The three best back to back classes in years
7 Even 2018’s decommitted recruits all ended up at decent schools
Do these guys actually do homework .
Those early awful classes were suplimented by Post Grads
and transfers
Ollie’s problem was not recruitment it was management of those players
Convincing Hamilton to stay one more year.
A problem on a thin rooster.
Allowing Enoch to do what he wanted to do ,instead of taking advantage of serious big man coaching available.
Not having a secondary ball handler to take pressure of JA knowing Gilbert’s injury history
No development plan for Jackson. Resulting in player revolt
Not identifying and staying with a shooter last year.
It’s the detail or lack of attention to it, that a head coach is responsible for that doomed him
It’s certainly not recruiting , and despite the BY experts is not even x/o .
If he recognized his weakness and made choices in assistants that filled that void he would still be here.
That’s a lessen for any manager identity what you don’t do well ,hire an an advisor to compensate for it or even learn from them.

Reaction Score
The way I see it, for years on the way up UConn got insufficient pre-season respect, broke through, then got steady respect, and had, starting in 2014 an a nflated presumption of quality that made it take longer to drop out of the Top 25. This, sadly, has solidified into a cautious stance now that UConn has demonstrated that it would not be to AAC what Memphis once was to C-USA or what WBB still is to AAC.

Adjusted expectations require going with the "underpromise and overdeliver" thing, as well as proving that travel to Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa, New Orleans don't exhaust or distract. For Wichita & Greenville, it's more exhaust.

One game at a time.

Yup yup yup.

This perfectly sums up our predicament when it comes to national perception. I think it'll come back surprisingly quick once we start winning some games again.

Something else to watch for: UConn nostalgia. The younger people that are taking over a larger and larger percentage of the CBB media only knew UConn as a powerhouse program. For instance on "One Shining Podcast" around the time of the Ollie firing/Hurley hiring we're talking about how college basketball is better when UConn is good.

The restoration of powerhouse is a good storyline to sell, not only to the media, but to recruits.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Don't know if talent is an issue, but length certainly is.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's what she said.

(I tried, but I couldn't help myself.)
Hopefully at some point in late February, we can all look back on the season and say, "It's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the offense."

(See what I did there? :D)

Reaction Score
Yup yup yup.

This perfectly sums up our predicament when it comes to national perception. I think it'll come back surprisingly quick once we start winning some games again.

Something else to watch for: UConn nostalgia. The younger people that are taking over a larger and larger percentage of the CBB media only knew UConn as a powerhouse program. For instance on "One Shining Podcast" around the time of the Ollie firing/Hurley hiring we're talking about how college basketball is better when UConn is good.

The restoration of powerhouse is a good storyline to sell, not only to the media, but to recruits.
That’s because we’re the perpetual outsider that upset the preconceptions of the fans and pundits alike.
ie. Certain talking heads picking us to lose before every win or only 8-9 % of those polled giving us a chance to win even with only 4 teams left and four impressive wins under our belt .
Who but us can provide that theater?

Reaction Score
It's not just buy-in. They have to basically relearn and forget a bunch of bad habits. Sometimes that happens right away and sometimes it takes 1.5-2 years

This point is spot on. Frankly, this is why I was more cautious than many on this board when Dan Hurley was tabbed as our next HC. No doubt he has done a great job at each and every place he has been before here, but I questioned if all the fall out from Ollie's ugly (and unfortunately continuing) departure was going to hamper efforts for the program to move forward this year.

But I must say that since that day it feels as if Dan Hurley has made the right move at almost every turn... quite remarkably, in several cases. To wit:

1. Not only kept all the players on board with zero defections, but from what we can see from their summer workouts, he has gotten them to believe in what he is selling... including the most important of them all if we are too have the renaissance this year: Jalen Adams. If Jalen does anything close to what Kemba did going into the 2010-2011 season, then this could be a really interesting (and exhilarating) year, as well.

- If you want a leading indicator that I like to watch: see how the times in the annual "Husky run" stack up against the last several years. As several of the more astute members here pointed out over the last several years, the average times were down pretty significantly over the last several years from the Calhoun years - and didn't that seem to directly translate into our play on the court far too often? Our team has not been in the same shape under Ollie that it was under Calhoun.

2. The assistant coaches hired: Quite impressive staff, from top to bottom. Lots of experience and success, both as assistant coaches AND on the recruiting trail in key areas (New England, New York and the Mid-Atlantic regions) for us. The cherries on top were bringing in Taliek Brown as Director of Player Development and Sal Alosi for Strength and Conditioning. A significantly better and more well-rounded staff than any of us had thought he and AD David Benedict could assemble.

3. He has actively sought out help and advice from both Geno and JC... You can say that seems like a no-brainer, but we also know that KO (sadly, and much to his own detriment) stopped seeking out help from these two basketball geniuses.

4. The Coaches Roadshow - I was not at any of these, as I do live in Florida, but I have heard Hurley did a great job of endearing himself to the fans who did show up. With all of the attendance woes and our need to gin up a renewed fervor for the program, that was exactly what Hurley needed to do.

5. He has paid proper respect to our recent history of amazing success while also showing that it will take hard work and dedication by everyone involved to get back to where we all want to be.

6. He and the entire coaching staff are out there hustling on the recruiting trail, and fearlessly willing to go up against almost anyone outside of Duke and Kentucky on the recruiting trail (and I honestly do not think he minds going up against them, either, as the Kofi Cockburn continuing recruitment shows). We will see over the next several months if their extra effort pays off... but you have to be impressed with the list of high-level recruits that are seriously considering becoming Huskies next year.

Taken as an aggregate - I actually think we could well be THE surprise team in the AAC, and maybe throughout the country. And yes, challenging for a spot in March Madness. I will keep my unbridled enthusiasm in check until we see some actual results... but the laying of the groundwork with all of the aforementioned foundation material is far stronger than we could have hoped for 5 months ago.

I give credit to each and every one of you who pushed for us to hire Dan Hurley over the last year. I was skeptical, but each of you looks like you were right in your strong support of him.

Reaction Score
This point is spot on. Frankly, this is why I was more cautious than many on this board when Dan Hurley was tabbed as our next HC. No doubt he has done a great job at each and every place he has been before here, but I questioned if all the fall out from Ollie's ugly (and unfortunately continuing) departure was going to hamper efforts for the program to move forward this year.

But I must say that since that day it feels as if Dan Hurley has made the right move at almost every turn... quite remarkably, in several cases. To wit:

1. Not only kept all the players on board with zero defections, but from what we can see from their summer workouts, he has gotten them to believe in what he is selling... including the most important of them all if we are too have the renaissance this year: Jalen Adams. If Jalen does anything close to what Kemba did going into the 2010-2011 season, then this could be a really interesting (and exhilarating) year, as well.

- If you want a leading indicator that I like to watch: see how the times in the annual "Husky run" stack up against the last several years. As several of the more astute members here pointed out over the last several years, the average times were down pretty significantly over the last several years from the Calhoun years - and didn't that seem to directly translate into our play on the court far too often? Our team has not been in the same shape under Ollie that it was under Calhoun.

2. The assistant coaches hired: Quite impressive staff, from top to bottom. Lots of experience and success, both as assistant coaches AND on the recruiting trail in key areas (New England, New York and the Mid-Atlantic regions) for us. The cherries on top were bringing in Taliek Brown as Director of Player Development and Sal Alosi for Strength and Conditioning. A significantly better and more well-rounded staff than any of us had thought he and AD David Benedict could assemble.

3. He has actively sought out help and advice from both Geno and JC... You can say that seems like a no-brainer, but we also know that KO (sadly, and much to his own detriment) stopped seeking out help from these two basketball geniuses.

4. The Coaches Roadshow - I was not at any of these, as I do live in Florida, but I have heard Hurley did a great job of endearing himself to the fans who did show up. With all of the attendance woes and our need to gin up a renewed fervor for the program, that was exactly what Hurley needed to do.

5. He has paid proper respect to our recent history of amazing success while also showing that it will take hard work and dedication by everyone involved to get back to where we all want to be.

6. He and the entire coaching staff are out there hustling on the recruiting trail, and fearlessly willing to go up against almost anyone outside of Duke and Kentucky on the recruiting trail (and I honestly do not think he minds going up against them, either, as the Kofi Cockburn continuing recruitment shows). We will see over the next several months if their extra effort pays off... but you have to be impressed with the list of high-level recruits that are seriously considering becoming Huskies next year.

Taken as an aggregate - I actually think we could well be THE surprise team in the AAC, and maybe throughout the country. And yes, challenging for a spot in March Madness. I will keep my unbridled enthusiasm in check until we see some actual results... but the laying of the groundwork with all of the aforementioned foundation material is far stronger than we could have hoped for 5 months ago.

I give credit to each and every one of you who pushed for us to hire Dan Hurley over the last year. I was skeptical, but each of you looks like you were right in your strong support of him.

I agree with all you have to say except the husky run. Nice thoughts though. A 5k has extremely little to do with conditioning for the game of basketball.

I guarantee Sal is rolling his eyes about the entire idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled in a year or two (probably not this year. Need to keep with some traditions for appearances and buy-in).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

While he may have curtailed his communication with JC publically there is no truth that he ceased speaking with Geno. I know both these men and that is not true. KO was much closer to Geno's players and vice versa than JC ever was and KO and Geno shared a friendship - something that Geno and JC never came close to attaining. Geno will not talk about it and you have to respect the man for that stance.
I am happy that DH is on what appears to be good terms with both JC and Geno. Both HoFers think highly of DH - that helps a lot.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Talent is an issue, but relative to the league it's not. If that makes sense.

Agreed. Brad Stevens would have taken these players to the NCAA Tournament. The sum was about 1/3 of the whole of its parts.

That said, talent is definitely an issue. Competing in the AAC and making the round of 32 is not the goal.

Reaction Score
Right I agree, but say that in these previews!

It makes no sense to keep saying "winning coach, best player in the league, intriguing transfers, but .500 record"

It makes no sense because Jeff Bordello is a Big East honk.

Dude put Xavier as #3 in their preview despite losing all their production from last year (Blueitt, Macura, etc) and hiring Travis Steele... instead of a proven coach such as Dan Hurley.

Five burning questions, players to watch for the Big East in 2018-19

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is the only proven tier one talent on this team. Alterique is tbd health wise. I love Vital's cajones. He doesn't start on a top 15 team but could contribute pretty much anywhere except Duke and KY this year. I don't see the '18 - '19 team as being very talented. I have zero faith in the front court. I want to be proven wrong but I have been watching this game a long time and all I want is buy in from the players and collective patience from the fan base. I do definitely believe Dan was the right hire. I just don't see him tolerating failure from his team or himself.

#bleedblue

Reaction Score
Talent and talent management have both been issues. What people often forget is that talent alone doesn't mean a kid will be a great player. We have seen so many highly ranked high school studs turn into college duds. And we know the rankings are flawed due to other reasons as well.

At every level, we see some kids end up over performing their ranking and kids that under perform. Getting a bunch of top 20 or top 50 kids is not enough. They have to be the RIGHT top 20 or top 50 kids. And you supplement those kids with underrated top 100 kids. That is what Calhoun did more often than not.

Then, once you have your collection of the right kids, you need to manage and coach them. They come in as kids. They need to leave as mature and disciplined men.

Reaction Score
I agree with all you have to say except the husky run. Nice thoughts though. A 5k has extremely little to do with conditioning for the game of basketball.

I guarantee Sal is rolling his eyes about the entire idea. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled in a year or two (probably not this year. Need to keep with some traditions for appearances and buy-in).

Normally I would agree with you Husky429. But the correlation was way too strong to dismiss it out of hand. Go look at the times for the run during Calhoun's tenure, and then look at the times over the last few years under KO. The difference was stark. At least 10% on average. Then, take a look at our team's level of fitness under Calhoun and then under KO. The difference there was also stark.

One of the bedrocks of the Calhoun-coached UConn teams is that they would impose their superior athletic ability in addition to their will on most games. The last several years we saw the exact opposite in games time and time again.

So let's compare the Husky 5k run times between 2010 (Kemba's junior year) vs. last year (Jalen's junior year). Kemba, Niels and Jeremy Lamb came in last together at 23:44 (Kemba staying with the 'laggards' and pushing them until the end... truly one of the great leaders we have ever had here). Only 3 players on last year's team beat that number, and many came in significantly higher. JA came in at the relative snail's pace of 26:17.

2010: The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: October 2010

2017: #HuskyRun hashtag on Twitter (this is a shortened link from the tweet with last year's time sheet posted on it)

You can say there was little if any correlation, but the proof is right there in the numbers. When I saw the numbers the last several years I tried dismissing the correlation, until I watched us playing. And before you use the "but Jalen played way more minutes last year than Kemba did in 2010-2011" the truth is that their minutes were virtually equal. Jalen at 38 minutes per while Kemba was at 37.6 in 2010-2011.

While he may have curtailed his communication with JC publically there is no truth that he ceased speaking with Geno. I know both these men and that is not true. KO was much closer to Geno's players and vice versa than JC ever was and KO and Geno shared a friendship - something that Geno and JC never came close to attaining. Geno will not talk about it and you have to respect the man for that stance.
I am happy that Dan Hurley is on what appears to be good terms with both JC and Geno. Both HoFers think highly of Dan Hurley - that helps a lot.

Again, the proof is in the pudding GtCam. I am fully aware that Kevin and Geno have had and still have a much better relationship than JC and Geno ever did. But that was not my point. My point was that their ongoing friendship does not change the fact that Kevin distanced himself from most everyone that were not "his guys" over the last 18 to 24 months of his tenure. I did not say he had a falling out with Geno, but he definitely was not going to Geno for advice like he was at the beginning.

Kevin was deeply hurt by all the criticism and defections as part of the fallout from the 2016-2017 debacle, and he decided he needed to do things his own way. You want proof? Contrast the way our men's and women's teams played. You can say the men's and women's games are vastly different types of games, but the truth is Geno took many of his concepts from men's coaches like John Wooden and Coach K in addition to his mentor legendary women's coach Jim Foster. The women's team plays a team game. Our men's team did not under Kevin. He obviously was not taking advice from Geno on how to get the men's team to play a more team-oriented, make-the-extra-pass type of game. That was my point, and I stick by it.

Reaction Score
Normally I would agree with you Husky429. But the correlation was way too strong to dismiss it out of hand. Go look at the times for the run during Calhoun's tenure, and then look at the times over the last few years under KO. The difference was stark. At least 10% on average. Then, take a look at our team's level of fitness under Calhoun and then under KO. The difference there was also stark.

One of the bedrocks of the Calhoun-coached UConn teams is that they would impose their superior athletic ability in addition to their will on most games. The last several years we saw the exact opposite in games time and time again.

So let's compare the Husky 5k run times between 2010 (Kemba's junior year) vs. last year (Jalen's junior year). Kemba, Niels and Jeremy Lamb came in last together at 23:44 (Kemba staying with the 'laggards' and pushing them until the end... truly one of the great leaders we have ever had here). Only 3 players on last year's team beat that number, and many came in significantly higher. JA came in at the relative snail's pace of 26:17.

2010: The New Haven Register Blogs: UConn Men's Basketball Blog: October 2010

2017: #HuskyRun hashtag on Twitter (this is a shortened link from the tweet with last year's time sheet posted on it)

You can say there was little if any correlation, but the proof is right there in the numbers. When I saw the numbers the last several years I tried dismissing the correlation, until I watched us playing. And before you use the "but Jalen played way more minutes last year than Kemba did in 2010-2011" the truth is that their minutes were virtually equal. Jalen at 38 minutes per while Kemba was at 37.6 in 2010-2011.

Again, the proof is in the pudding GtCam. I am fully aware that Kevin and Geno have had and still have a much better relationship than JC and Geno ever did. But that was not my point. My point was that their ongoing friendship does not change the fact that Kevin distanced himself from most everyone that were not "his guys" over the last 18 to 24 months of his tenure. I did not say he had a falling out with Geno, but he definitely was not going to Geno for advice like he was at the beginning.

Kevin was deeply hurt by all the criticism and defections as part of the fallout from the 2016-2017 debacle, and he decided he needed to do things his own way. You want proof? Contrast the way our men's and women's teams played. You can say the men's and women's games are vastly different types of games, but the truth is Geno took many of his concepts from men's coaches like John Wooden and Coach K in addition to his mentor legendary women's coach Jim Foster. The women's team plays a team game. Our men's team did not under Kevin. He obviously was not taking advice from Geno on how to get the men's team to play a more team-oriented, make-the-extra-pass type of game. That was my point, and I stick by it.

I would imagine it has more to do with mental buy-in to ollie than real conditioning levels. Your average d1 basketball player is going to run a 5k pretty well just through genetics and general activity levels.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams is the only proven tier one talent on this team. Alterique is tbd health wise. I love Vital's cajones. He doesn't start on a top 15 team but could contribute pretty much anywhere except Duke and KY this year. I don't see the '18 - '19 team as being very talented. I have zero faith in the front court. I want to be proven wrong but I have been watching this game a long time and all I want is buy in from the players and collective patience from the fan base. I do definitely believe Dan was the right hire. I just don't see him tolerating failure from his team or himself.

#bleedblue
If that team is so untalented than
It must of been a miracle or incredible coaching that we won as many as we did.
There is a philosophy axiom.
Two contradictory things can ‘t both be true.
Last years team had 9-10 new players. They played against the best teams in the country with kids as young as 18 in key positions . whose youth rather than lack of talent was apparent.
This years team returns 9-10 hardened vets. All with game experience.They did pretty much quit on January 25 when that well time leak of an NCAA probe shourded their future in uncertainty.This was after their best performance since Gilbert’s injury. Ironically it was without Larrier the only player of consequence not returning. The administration made about as good a hire as possible. A guy who may be coaching one of his most talented groups he has ever coached.
He is Unencumbered by the sword hanging over his head that was ever present last year.
You have one possibly two great players playing with a team of hardened vets and a schedule that doesn’t include a single non conference road game against a decent opponent. There also is no infusion of inexperienced players that impede team building . Save one the adds were mature situational players in the Kromah model. The only freshman is a 6’4” 2 or possibly 3rd Guard with allegedly one of the sweetest jumpers we’ve seen here in awhile.
He does have a nice stroke and has played extensively against one of the best guards in college last
year , his brother , but he is a freshman so patience is in order.
This is my 65th season of following a UConn basketball and I

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom