BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Final Four picks:
1678891662751.png

sun

Reaction Score
Every team can stumble.
UConn stumbled when they lost to the Mississippi State Bulldogs in OT in the 2017 FF & I'd like to see them win a big upset someday to make up for that game.
Maybe UConn already has made up for it or maybe they haven't.
Maybe this could be the year to make up for it.
While UConn is an underdog this year, there's always the possibility that they can get through it without stumbling.
Since it's virtually impossible to predict upsets one can only hope.
UConn can always get some help from other teams in the tourney too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every team can stumble.
UConn stumbled when they lost to the Mississippi State Bulldogs in OT in the 2017 FF & I'd like to see them win a big upset someday to make up for that game.
Maybe UConn already has made up for it or maybe they haven't.
Maybe this could be the year to make up for it.
While UConn is an underdog this year, there's always the possibility that they can get through it without stumbling.
Since it's virtually impossible to predict upsets one can only hope.
UConn can always get some help from other teams in the tourney too.

2017 MsSt game - you can't drive into the lane (Saniya Chong) looking to draw contact for a foul in the last seconds of the game. Ask DiJonai Carrington/Kim Mulkey. Plus Geno needed to play Azura more.

Reaction Score
Geno blew the MSState game by never putting Stevens back in after the half. She was the sole reason they came back in the first half. Also, it has been well documented by Geno that Soniya driving into the paint was NOT the game plan.

Reaction Score
2017 MsSt game - you can't drive into the lane (Saniya Chong) looking to draw contact for a foul in the last seconds of the game. Ask DiJonai Carrington/Kim Mulkey. Plus Geno needed to play Azura more.
Geno addressed that play without naming names. I recall him saying in an interview that this was not the play that was drawn up, but rather the player in question panicked and decided to take it to the bucket on her own. Not only did she lose the ball out of bounds, but she left time on the clock as well.

Reaction Score
While I agree Stanford should beat Iowa I do think they'll have a big problem with Clark. If Rice, a freshman can get 22 and Paopao can get 28, Clark could and should get_____?
I think Clark will get her points against almost any defender in the country but Iowa doesn't really have many other weapons.

Stanford has been a mystery to me this year. This team should be just behind SC and they've lost a few games they probably should have won on paper. I have no clue what's the problem unless they have too many bodies for a limited number of minutes to go around.

Reaction Score
I think Clark will get her points against almost any defender in the country but Iowa doesn't really have many other weapons.

Stanford has been a mystery to me this year. This team should be just behind SC and they've lost a few games they probably should have won on paper. I have no clue what's the problem unless they have too many bodies for a limited number of minutes to go around.
Agreed although Connecticut allowed Martin to go off back in November.

Clark versus the Cardinal certainly favors Stanford but as you point out Stanford has been challenged by some consistency issues on both ends of the floor.

Does Iowa have a chance if Clark goes off for a 30-point triple-double? (And what if Martin goes 6 for 6 from beyond thr arc?)

Reaction Score
Geno blew the MSState game by never putting Stevens back in after the half. She was the sole reason they came back in the first half. Also, it has been well documented by Geno that Soniya driving into the paint was NOT the game plan.
I believe Azura was a transfer this year when we played MS State and not eligible to play. I think you are thinking of the ND game the following year....

Reaction Score

I’ve watched every Stanford game this season. Their problem is the back court and lack of on court chemistry because their rotation is too long. They typically only have 2 players you have to defend behind the free throw line on the floor at the same time which makes their offensive flow non-existent. They are great defensively but their backcourt is still their weakness there as they have no lock down perimeter defenders.

I think their actual ceiling is much lower than it should be on paper.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont understand why nobody has picked USC/So Cal

They are on their way!

Reaction Score
I don’t see Iowa getting to FF, much less elite 8. Too inconsistent even at full strength.

Reaction Score
I would pick the opposite of Charlie. He picked Illinois to beat Creighton and I don't think that is going to happen. A lot of people pick the two Big Ten teams to dominate and I think both will have trouble making it to the FF. Iowa is going to need a Herculean effort by Clark and even that might not be enough. Indiana just looks unremarkable to me. Good team but nothing special that will carry them to the FF. And VaTech?

Reaction Score
Agreed although Connecticut allowed Martin to go off back in November.

Clark versus the Cardinal certainly favors Stanford but as you point out Stanford has been challenged by some consistency issues on both ends of the floor.

Does Iowa have a chance if Clark goes off for a 30-point triple-double? (And what if Martin goes 6 for 6 from beyond thr arc?)
I think Clark will score at will against Stanford but my thought is who on Stanford can defend Iowa's big girls. She is tough in the paint if you don't have someone that can body up with her and CB is tall but can be knocked around.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Iowa get to the FF, but Stanford has the size and skill to prevent Czinano from getting the easy buckets she got against Ohio State. Clark's great but she can't beat Stanford on her own.
Czinano is a physical post and Brink will have trouble staying out of trouble. Unless Jones really has a big tournament I just don't see Stanford making the FF.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think Clark will score at will against Stanford but my thought is who on Stanford can defend Iowa's big girls. She is tough in the paint if you don't have someone that can body up with her and CB is tall but can be knocked around.
Brink is thin in stature but she's strong and doesn't get knocked around or displaced easily. She's a dominant defender too and has immense length that will give Czinano trouble. She doesn't shy away from contact either (part of the reason for her foul woes) and is extremely physical. Czinano has a big frame and uses it to establish position, but she's more of a finesse player inside with great footwork and touch around the basket rather than a post who relishes contact like an Angel Reese. I actually think of Brink being a far more physical player than Czinano in this regard. For reference, Brink shoots 50% more free throws than Czinano does and plays fewer minutes.

Even if Brink does get buried inside, she's 2-3 inches taller than Czinano (whose probably 1-2 inches shorter than her listed height of 6-3), she has the length to recover and still block shots or alter Czinano's looks. It's a tough matchup for Czinano IMO. The most Brink-like player Czinano has faced this year is Holmes who shut her down the first match up and slowed her down the second.

Even if Brink does get into foul trouble, I think Tara unleashes 6-7 Lauren Betts who is a huge body for Czinano to go up against, though Monika will have more success vs Betts/Prechtel than going up against Brink.

Overall I am surprised everyone is picking Iowa. Iowa is playing great but if you take away Czinano it puts a lot more pressure on Clark which leads her to force shots, and in her teammates aren't contributing at a high level they are extremely beatable since they don't defend well either. If they are hitting shots, they're as dangerous as anyone in the country though. I think if they do meet, Stanford has a decisive edge in size/physicality/rebounding, but if Iowa is red hot, Iowa wins this. Toss up for me, though I'd pick Stanford based on their experience and history.

Reaction Score
I believe Azura was a transfer this year when we played MS State and not eligible to play. I think you are thinking of the ND game the following year....
perhaps....they all seem to run together sometimes. In any case...whatever the game, it was a huge oversight on his part. Oh well.

Reaction Score
Brink is thin in stature but she's strong and doesn't get knocked around or displaced easily. She's a dominant

Overall I am surprised everyone is picking Iowa. Iowa is playing great but if you take away Czinano it puts a lot more pressure on Clark which leads her to force shots, and in her teammates aren't contributing at a high level they are extremely beatable since they don't defend well either. If they are hitting shots, they're as dangerous as anyone in the country though. I think if they do meet, Stanford has a decisive edge in size/physicality/rebounding, but if Iowa is red hot, Iowa wins this. Toss up for me, though I'd pick Stanford based on their experience and history.
Recency bias as Clark and Iowa have been on fire. The Hawkeyes will need a surprising game from one of their third players. Think back to the UConn game and Martin's performance. That kind of performance from a third player and a 30-point triple double by Clark will be necessary to send Iowa to the next level.

I do think that's a low probability event however given the quality of Stanford's defense. But this is one game I'm really looking forward to.

Reaction Score
I would pick the opposite of Charlie. He picked Illinois to beat Creighton and I don't think that is going to happen. A lot of people pick the two Big Ten teams to dominate and I think both will have trouble making it to the FF. Iowa is going to need a Herculean effort by Clark and even that might not be enough. Indiana just looks unremarkable to me. Good team but nothing special that will carry them to the FF. And VaTech?

Well........ it can't since Mississippi State beat Illinois

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom