ESPN Embarrassing Minute Today ... | The Boneyard

ESPN Embarrassing Minute Today ...

Reaction Score
I have not in the past bought into the conspiracy theory here many have which has ESPN with something against UConn.
Listening to ESPN radio today on the way home has me seeing what some perceive as slighting UConn a reality.
I searched and cannot provide a link, I am sure someone here will come up with it but this is what I heard.

Paraphrasing "coming up Britney Griner and the greatest team in women's basketball history!" After the adds, on came the talking head with the story of Britney and team (2012) having the greatest season in women's basketball history going undefeated with a NC and a 40 win season.

Called ESPN radio @ 1-888-549-3776 and actually got a human to talk to. Answering service of course but left the message today's comment was WAY OFF BASE. Explained that UConn has had six undefeated seasons including one of 40 games in 2014 and someone on this level should do more homework before going on air.
Overall records a sports commentator should have considered....

I now see posters commenting on ESPN slighting our women's team in a brighter light!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I have not in the past bought into the conspiracy theory here many have which has ESPN with something against UConn.
Listening to ESPN radio today on the way home has me seeing what some perceive as slighting UConn a reality.
I searched and cannot provide a link, I am sure someone here will come up with it but this is what I heard.

Paraphrasing "coming up Britney Griner and the greatest team in women's basketball history!" After the adds, on came the talking head with the story of Britney and team (2012) having the greatest season in women's basketball history going undefeated with a NC and a 40 win season.

Called ESPN radio @ 1-888-549-3776 and actually got a human to talk to. Answering service of course but left the message today's comment was WAY OFF BASE. Explained that UConn has had six undefeated seasons including one of 40 games in 2014 and someone on this level should do more homework before going on air.
Overall records a sports commentator should have considered....

I now see posters commenting on ESPN slighting our women's team in a brighter light!

Even's out when the following year, she was part of the greatest underachieving effort losing to Louisville in Sweet 16. We know it even is ESPN forgets.

Reaction Score
Do you think that was the greatest underachieving effort....or was Tennessee, coming off 3 straight NC from 1996-1998 and losing in the 1999 E8?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Do you think that was the greatest underachieving effort....or was Tennessee, coming off 3 straight NC from 1996-1998 and losing in the 1999 E8?

Never really gave it that much thought. Meant it only as irony. Probably 'one of the greatest underachieving efforts' is more accurate.

Reaction Score
Let me give you a profile of the typical ESPN program. First you get anywhere from three to five people, usually including at least one female, two ex players from either football, basketball or baseball, and two talking heads. You set them down at a desk and then you watch them shout at each other trying to explain a game situation that you, as a fan, have watched since you were ten or eleven years old and have seen over and over and over, and you sit there knowing that, yes, they have played the game, but you know as much about it as they do.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Even's out when the following year, she was part of the greatest underachieving effort losing to Louisville in Sweet 16. We know it even is ESPN forgets.

Statistically, that 2013 Baylor team was better than the undefeated title team, just fell short in the end. Both might make the top-10 teams of all-time, but not #1.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
All the Sports channels do that. If it was just ONE monotone guy speaking or giving his opinion for one hour, it would too monotonous to watch. With 4 or 5 "experts" shouting at each other, there is more interaction, and more viewers will watch.

Reaction Score
Maybe its just in another place, but there is a 200’ hallway at ESPN with banners for all NCAA basketball, football, NHL, NBA, and AL and NL champs for each team showing every championship going back decades. Guess who is missing?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Maybe its just in another place, but there is a 200’ hallway at ESPN with banners for all NCAA basketball, football, NHL, NBA, and AL and NL champs for each team showing every championship going back decades. Guess who is missing?
UConn

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The NBA did the same thing. When the Celtics were winning all those titles in the 50's and 60's, they lost once to Philly and that was the team they called the GOAT.

Reaction Score
In the past, only a few East Coast teams (and Baylor) got any coverage from ESPN. In part due to the growth of good teams across US and ESPN's perceived desire to expand focus on women's basketball across the US, UConn certainly getting less coverage. Not sure the issue is ESPN as much as under educated writers that only looking to get clicks. UConn and Geno always a good story so once we get reestablished as top 3 team, the press will come back.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Baylor?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To be forever known as The Swallowed Whistle Game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom