ESPN Does Not LIke WBB | The Boneyard

ESPN Does Not LIke WBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How else can one explain the fact that Carolyn Peck is still employed by and utilized so often? Much to my considerable annoyance.

Reaction Score
How else can one explain the fact that Carolyn Peck is still employed by and utilized so often? Much to my considerable annoyance.

I have to agree. I thought I was going to be able to see a great first game, but then it got ruined when I saw Peck and her stumblin bumblin PREGAME commentary

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Peck's in the studio, not doing the play by play.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
She does stumble over her words rather frequently. Its almost embarrassing :oops:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
maybe she's cheap and good eye-candy

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
maybe she's using that old coaching cash

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

So this means that ESPN doesn't like WBB? There are plenty of people ESPN employs on the men's side that are incredibly annoying (Dick Vitale) or who are just bad color analysts (Len Elmore). Does that mean ESPN doesn't like MBB?

Also, ESPN put the game on ESPN on a Sunday night. Not ESPN2. Why is this noteworthy? Because the MLB playoffs are going on, as is NFL football. ESPN could have run its NFL post-game show or its MLB post-game show in those slots. Instead, it put women's basketball there.

And ESPN used Rebecca Lobo as the color analyst, arguably one of the two best announcers in the game. Though she was unusually over-exuberant last night, she is one of the few (if only) announcers that really knows how to dissect a play, from an Xs and Os standpoint.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So this means that ESPN doesn't like WBB? There are plenty of people ESPN employs on the men's side that are incredibly annoying (Dick Vitale) or who are just bad color analysts (Len Elmore). Does that mean ESPN doesn't like MBB?

Also, ESPN put the game on ESPN on a Sunday night. Not ESPN2. Why is this noteworthy? Because the MLB playoffs are going on, as is NFL football. ESPN could have run its NFL post-game show or its MLB post-game show in those slots. Instead, it put women's basketball there.

And ESPN used Rebecca Lobo as the color analyst, arguably one of the two best announcers in the game. Though she was unusually over-exuberant last night, she is one of the few (if only) announcers that really knows how to dissect a play, from an Xs and Os standpoint.

Good point but Peck is still really, really annoying.

Reaction Score
Dick Vitale is the game's biggest cheerleader, but what I tend not to like about him is that he is selectively preachy. He will hammer the student-athletes who play one year and depart, but say little to nothing about the coaches who facilitate it.

Len Elmore? We will have to disagree. Pair him with Gus Johnson and it is on. I know he attended Maryland and all, but....:)

The announcers/analysts I tend to dislike most are the ones assigned to women's college basketball games. It is as if ESPN uses women's games as a training/proving ground.

Who really gives a hoot about Xs and Os? Xsand Os are like scorecards. Those that know the game don't need it, those that do not know the game have no idea what is being discussed. That said, I do prefer Ms Lobo at this point in her career to almost everyone.

BTW: There is no single announcer I would rather have calling a close collegiate basketball game than Gus Johnson.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Len Elmore? We will have to disagree. Pair him with Gus Johnson and it is on. I know he attended Maryland and all, but....:)

The announcers/analysts I tend to dislike most are the ones assigned to women's college basketball games. It is as if ESPN uses women's games as a training/proving ground.

Who really gives a hoot about Xs and Os? Xsand Os are like scorecards. Those that know the game don't need it, those that do not know the game have no idea what is being discussed. That said, I do prefer Ms Lobo at this point in her career to almost everyone.

Elmore is really awful. It is one thing to be biased; it is another to consistently show it.

Announcers being used as training/proving ground for womens' games? Well, considering Jay Bilas and Robin Roberts used to call women's games, you may have a point. But both went on to full-time, year-round gigs.

Xs and Os...one of the purposes of color commentary! A color commentator is supposed to supplement the play-by-play announcer by providing insight and information that is of interest to the viewer or that the viewer does not know. There are plenty of people who know the game and still cannot intelligently break down a play. There are plenty of viewers who know the game, but are not seeing the five or six things involved in one play or the non-stat sheet activity that occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom