ESPN: Dobbs Still Deciding | The Boneyard

ESPN: Dobbs Still Deciding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do a year at a JUCO and keep your options open. Marshall isn't going anywhere.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I hope the kid can work things out and still play for his dream school; he's got a lot of positive family support going for him and he will be successful no matter which route he chooses.

But Doc Holliday is a heck of a recruiter at Marshall - it'll be really tough for Mr. Dobbs to tell him 'no thanks'...

Reaction Score
I hope the kid can work things out and still play for his dream school; he's got a lot of positive family support going for him and he will be successful no matter which route he chooses.
But Doc Holliday is a heck of a recruiter at Marshall - it'll be really tough for Mr. Dobbs to tell him 'no thanks'...

Agreed. And saying thanks but no thanks to a guy you admire and respect is never easy, but part of growing up. The coaches know what a tough decision it is for most decent guys to make. While it's disappointing and frustrating to have to delay the coming out party, it's shaping up to be a nice class for a team that will likely still be looking for a talented back to make an impact. And it will mean that much more when it happens.

Reaction Score
Better hurry Joe Williams is gonna be on campus soon,Newsome maybe a few years behind him.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
So his option are:
  1. Be able to play next year, play in a lower-level conference, get a degree at a school not known for good academics, live in West Virginia.
  2. Play one year in JUCO, get to UConn in 2013, get a degree from a top 20 public university, play in a better conference, follow in the footsteps of two Husky all-american running backs, play in front of family and friends.
Sorry, what am I missing here? Good things come to those who wait, Montrell.

Reaction Score
As most of us know, to an 18 year old, waiting a year is like waiting five years. Hopefully, someone helps him put time in perspective and gets him to do what it takes for a year so he can play for his home state.

I would have given anything to play basketball at UConn but 20 years ago, if put in Montrell's shoes, I might have passed on the opportunity out of convenience. You don't realize how fast time goes by at 18 years old.

Reaction Score
OK, I'm probably going to be lynched for saying this...but...

If you were advising your son, would you really advise them to take a 1 year JuCO offer in hopes of getting that free education, or would you rather they just go to Marshall and get a 4 year education guaranteed?

I'm not so sure. UConn has a ton of advantages, but you just never know what might happen down the road.

Reaction Score
OK, I'm probably going to be lynched for saying this...but...

If you were advising your son, would you really advise them to take a 1 year JuCO offer in hopes of getting that free education, or would you rather they just go to Marshall and get a 4 year education guaranteed?

I'm not so sure. UConn has a ton of advantages, but you just never know what might happen down the road.

You're right. He has to want to be at UConn because he loves it. Most of us on this board would want to play at UConn because its our school. No idea if Montrell is a real "UConn fan" or just liked UConn for a variety of more practical reasons. If its his dream school, he should chase his dream.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Plus, if I am not mistaken, he already did the 'one more year at high school/JC and then go to UConn' thing. That is what this past year was supposed to be. But unfortunately, someone dropped the ball and didn't realize that he would not have the proper classes/requirements to get in this year. I can see where an 18 year old kid would be frustrated after doing an extra year only to find out he might have to do another. I don't know whose fault it was that someone didn't realize that he wouldn't be eligible after one year at Milford...but if it wasn't on his end...I can see where a kid would say 'screw it, I am just going to Marshall'.

Reaction Score
OK, can someone please explain again(I'm sure it's been explained, and I apologize for beating a dead horse, I guess), but if he needs a course or a credit, why can't he take a the course right now at say, Tunxis CC in Farmington, and complete whatever he is missing? Can't you take a course? Or take a course at Milford or Fork Union this semester? It seems pretty up if you can't do that . . .

Reaction Score
like gars i also am confused and would hope someone on thisboard would know the score

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
As most of us know, to an 18 year old, waiting a year is like waiting five years. Hopefully, someone helps him put time in perspective and gets him to do what it takes for a year so he can play for his home state.

I would have given anything to play basketball at UConn but 20 years ago, if put in Montrell's shoes, I might have passed on the opportunity out of convenience. You don't realize how fast time goes by at 18 years old.
That explains things. Most folks on these forums are 18 year olds. That's why they insist on immediate results. Nah! I think it's human nature and not an age thing.

Reaction Score
OK, can someone please explain again(I'm sure it's been explained, and I apologize for beating a dead horse, I guess), but if he needs a course or a credit, why can't he take a the course right now at say, Tunxis CC in Farmington, and complete whatever he is missing? Can't you take a course? Or take a course at Milford or Fork Union this semester? It seems pretty up if you can't do that . . .
if he takes a class at a college (JC or elsewhere) it uses up a year of eligibility ... I think

Reaction Score
If he graduated from Ansonia last spring his core GPA is locked into the clearinghouse. He can only approve his SAT score by doing a post grad year at Milford or any other prep school. If he didn't graduate from Ansonia and is at Milford as a HS Senior he would be able to take any class to help his core GPA. He cannot take a class at a JC and have it help his HS GPA. He has the option of going to JC for a year and not play football, then he could come to UConn and have 4 years to complete his 4 seasons of Football.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to make that decision. An injury at the JUCO could take away any chance at a 4 year degree. At least w/ Marshall he has the quasi-guarantee of a scholarship. However, there is still a question of whether he will qualify and be able to play at Marshall. If that doesn't happen then JUCO is the only way to go which would be good for UConn. Don't think that not playing for a year would do him any good.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
If he graduated from Ansonia last spring his core GPA is locked into the clearinghouse.

But from everything we have heard, the issue isn't with the NCAA Clearinghouse or with NCAA eligibility, the issue is with the UConn admissions. This is what boggles my mind.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I do not believe it is specifically a UConn admissions problem. Dobbs is considered a partial qualifier . BCS schools (UConn) can not accept partial qualifiers. Non BCS schools ( Marshall ) can accept partial qualifiers. This may also explain the lack of other BCS offers. I hope this helps, but then again I am not 100% sure this is the correct answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom