ESPN Disrespecting the WNBA | The Boneyard

ESPN Disrespecting the WNBA

Reaction Score
Washington vs. Atlanta game scheduled for 2pm on ESPN2 apparently does not have priority over some minor college football game...This is one reason why women's basketball is looked at as a minor sport. They just announced that the game has started and can be seen on the ESPN AP. I do not have the ESPN AP and I don't want it. I was intending on watching this game in it's entirety on ESPN2. This is a great example of disrespecting women's basketball. SCREW ESPN.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If I had a quarter for every game I wanted to watch that got preempted because a previous game went beyond it's time slot, I'd have a ton of quarters. It's not really a dissing the WNBA problem, it's that games rarely fit into the alloted time slot. Men's sporting events get preempted all the time as well, it's not a gender inequity thing. Doesn't help you any, but it's not even slightly uncommon, happens constantly.

Reaction Score
Washington vs. Atlanta game scheduled for 2pm on ESPN2 apparently does not have priority over some minor college football game...This is one reason why women's basketball is looked at as a minor sport. They just announced that the game has started and can be seen on the ESPN AP. I do not have the ESPN AP and I don't want it. I was intending on watching this game in it's entirety on ESPN2. This is a great example of disrespecting women's basketball. SCREW ESPN.

The problem isn't ESPN, but rather that almost any college football game gets better ratings than the WNBA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Darn, I had no idea that the MEAC/SWAC Challenge was on ESPN2 today. Good showcase for those smaller conferences that otherwise dont get alot of airtime on the ESPN networks. So what if WNBA was preempted a few minutes. Its not like more than 1,208 people were gonna care about missing 15 minutes of the game :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Storm-Mercury game is supposed to be on but I'm stuck watching 3 minutes of garbage time in a 20 point blowout of the Mystics-Dream game. Must be East Coast bias.

Reaction Score
The Storm-Mercury game is supposed to be on but I'm stuck watching 3 minutes of garbage time in a 20 point blowout of the Mystics-Dream game. Must be East Coast bias.

...or perhaps some sort of ethereal bias? ;)

Reaction Score

The reason: NOBODY'S WATCHING !

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If I had a quarter for every game I wanted to watch that got preempted because a previous game went beyond it's time slot, I'd have a ton of quarters. It's not really a dissing the WNBA problem, it's that games rarely fit into the alloted time slot.

This. The whining is unreal here. And in many cases on ESPN, games that are bumped from their primary channel start on a secondary channel like ESPN U or ESPN News. Do we know that this didn't happen here?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This. The whining is unreal here. And in many cases on ESPN, games that are bumped from their primary channel start on a secondary channel like ESPN U or ESPN News. Do we know that this didn't happen here?
Yes. I looked at all secondary channels. The message it would only be on the App. was actually a few minutes after tip off

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
If I had a quarter for every game I wanted to watch that got preempted because a previous game went beyond it's time slot, I'd have a ton of quarters. It's not really a dissing the WNBA problem, it's that games rarely fit into the alloted time slot. Men's sporting events get preempted all the time as well, it's not a gender inequity thing. Doesn't help you any, but it's not even slightly uncommon, happens constantly.

As I mentioned in the game thread what you're stating was NOT the issue in this situation. Yes that happens all the time. In this case it was NOT a problem of a football game simply running long. There was no way that FB game was going to be anywhere near completed by the announced start time of the WNBA Playoff game. ESPN knew full well that that FB game would still be in the 3rd quarter by the time in question. It was BS to list that playoff game as an ESPN2 broadcast. I propose they knew all along they would be asking people to start watching the game on ESPN 3. The problem I have with this entire affair is that they should have just come right out and said it upfront. We all know it's about ratings and advertising dollars. We also know the WNBA is a bottom rung sport for them. Just don't LIE to people about it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
As I mentioned in the game thread what you're stating was NOT the issue in this situation

OK, I see your point.

I noticed for the Game 5 double header, Atlanta-Washington is on ESPN2 but Seattle-Phoenix is relegated to ESPNEWS/NBATV. What is that crap? Now that does clearly seem like East Coast bias to me.

Reaction Score

Doesn’t the WNBA have to be artificially propped up by NBA revenues to even exist? Has there ever been a WNBA game that garnered higher ratings than any major college football game? This wasn’t disrespect! It was economics!

Reaction Score
OK, I see your point.

I noticed for the Game 5 double header, Atlanta-Washington is on ESPN2 but Seattle-Phoenix is relegated to ESPNEWS/NBATV. What is that crap? Now that does clearly seem like East Coast bias to me.
ESPN2 is showing the USA vs. Chile women’s soccer match in that time slot. What’s the problem anyway? Just switch to ESPNEWS and watch the game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ESPN2 is showing the USA vs. Chile women’s soccer match in that time slot. What’s the problem anyway? Just switch to ESPNEWS and watch the game.

I don't get that channel.

Reaction Score
I don't get that channel.
If you get basic ESPN you should be able to stream it. PIA I know, but you should have access in any case.

I wonder if they showed this game on ESPN2 and showed the women’s senior national team soccer game on ESPNEWS would women’s soccer fans feel disrespected?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I wonder if they showed this game on ESPN2 and showed the women’s senior national team soccer game on ESPNEWS would women’s soccer fans feel disrespected?

Probably. You can't please anybody, or you can't please everybody most of the time, or everybody's always feeling disrespected, or however that old cliche goes.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you get basic ESPN you should be able to stream it. PIA I know, but you should have access in any case.

I am a fan of both but even if I was more of a woman's soccer fan, I could see that the choice is

'Friendly against a team that is not competitive vs elimination game in best of 5 with a lot of interesting side stories.'

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I actually recorded (or tried to record) the USWNT vs Chile match on ESPN2, however I got a good hour of tennis :rolleyes: instead. The women's game came on about 10 minutes into the 2nd half. :mad:

If I'm watching and they move it to another channel, not a big deal, but when trying to DVR it, that sucks.

Reaction Score
I actually recorded (or tried to record) the USWNT vs Chile match on ESPN2, however I got a good hour of tennis :rolleyes: instead. The women's game came on about 10 minutes into the 2nd half. :mad:

If I'm watching and they move it to another channel, not a big deal, but when trying to DVR it, that sucks.
My TV Guide still shows that soccer game tonight at 7 PM (10 PM EDT) on ESPN2, so I guess that means they're showing a replay of the soccer game on ESPN2 and moving the WNBA playoff game to a different channel? Still no difference for me since I get both channels, but maybe you can DVR the whole soccer game tonight on ESPN2...?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom