ESPN Coverage | The Boneyard

ESPN Coverage

Reaction Score
Just thinking out loud a little here:

What do you think will happen with our coverage on ESPN when we make the move to the Big East, which has a contract with Fox Sports? Surely, we are moving to a much better conference, albeit one that isn't contractually involved with ESPN. I know some think ESPN doesn't cover us well, but from a WBB prospective, they cover whatever the "it" team is. We have gotten the most press from them over the past 20 years, and deservedly so. But, during that time frame we've always been in a conference with an ESPN contract.

. 1. Every year ESPN puts out a "mid'major" top 25 once a week. Do you think we will be slotted in that as a sort of duck* You? We were never in it as part of the American, but again.....contracts.

2. There will never be another home game on ESPN. Do they ice us out of away games too? Or do they know our viewing power and put us on marquee away games? I could see both that happening.

3. During tournament coverage, we will get next to nothing in the marketing and coverage, IMO. They will show our games because they have to, but we will no longer be immune to "whip around" coverage.

Thoughts?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Away games against certain ranked opponents will still be broadcast on ESPN. NCAA tournament games will still be broadcast on ESPN.

UConn is the driver of ratings in WCBB and ESPN is not dumb.

Reaction Score
Just thinking out loud a little here:

What do you think will happen with our coverage on ESPN when we make the move to the Big East, which has a contract with Fox Sports? Surely, we are moving to a much better conference, albeit one that isn't contractually involved with ESPN. I know some think ESPN doesn't cover us well, but from a WBB prospective, they cover whatever the "it" team is. We have gotten the most press from them over the past 20 years, and deservedly so. But, during that time frame we've always been in a conference with an ESPN contract.

. 1. Every year ESPN puts out a "mid'major" top 25 once a week. Do you think we will be slotted in that as a sort of duck* You? We were never in it as part of the American, but again.....contracts.

2. There will never be another home game on ESPN. Do they ice us out of away games too? Or do they know our viewing power and put us on marquee away games? I could see both that happening.

3. During tournament coverage, we will get next to nothing in the marketing and coverage, IMO. They will show our games because they have to, but we will no longer be immune to "whip around" coverage.

Thoughts?

UConn, or any other WCBB team, is not going to get much time on ESPN or ESPN2. Those "premiere" ESPN channels will be saved for big time MCBB match ups. Only the absolutely biggest games of the year might have a chance at being on ESPN. The majority of UConn's games will NOT even be on TV, they will be on the ESPN+ app.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn, or any other WCBB team, is not going to get much time on ESPN or ESPN2. Those "premiere" ESPN channels will be saved for big time MCBB match ups. Only the absolutely biggest games of the year might have a chance at being on ESPN. The majority of UConn's games will NOT even be on TV, they will be on the ESPN+ app.

No. The question posed was about after UConn moves to the Big East. By the time alot of AAC games are moved to ESPN+ UConn will be gone. The upcoming season will be under the old contract and Tier 3 games will be on SNY.

ESPN will continue to broadcast women’s games as it always has whether it’s on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU. As for UConn, after the move to the Big East only road games and Tournament games will be on the ESPN networks.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Is there a (legal) reason why SNY can't negotiate a new TV contract with UConn? Is it because SNY is part of the ESPN Networks and as a result can no longer negotiate with a Big East team?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is there a (legal) reason why SNY can't negotiate a new TV contract with UConn? Is it because SNY is part of the ESPN Networks and as a result can no longer negotiate with a Big East team?

No. The parties are believed to be in discussions about what happens after the move to the Big East. SNY is definitely not part of the ESPN networks.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
No. The parties are believed to be in discussions about what happens after the move to the Big East. SNY is definitely not part of the ESPN networks.
I only stated that SNY is part of the ESPN Networks because we could stream the SNY games via the "free" ESPN App (not the ESPN+ add on). So I am guessing that there is an SNY/ESPN connection somehow.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Non conference home games can’t be on espn? Why?

Because each conference's national television rights agreement determines the broadcast rights of member's home games. When ESPN televises a UConn home game against any non-conference opponent the broadcast begins with the announcer saying "you're watching the American conference on ESPN." Fox and CBS have rights to Big East games (all conference and home non-conference games).

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does the Big East TV contract include WCBB? It didn't used to before the split.

ESPN owned the rights to Uconn WCBB through their AAC broadcast deal, so SNY who had an existing contract with Uconn made the deal with ESPN - they got the streaming rights to the SNY broadcasts (blackout restriction on ESPN streaming for SNY primary footprint.) But SNY and ESPN are not 'partnered up' in any other way.

Reaction Score
Because each conference's national television rights agreement determines the broadcast rights of member's home games. When ESPN televises UConn v any non-conference opponent the broadcast begins with the announcer saying "you're watching the American conference on ESPN." Fox and CBS have rights to Big East games (all conference and home non-conference games).
Gracias.

Reaction Score
Maybe the New Big East conference can get their own tv network like the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC.

Reaction Score
Maybe the New Big East conference can get their own tv network like the SEC, Big Ten, and ACC.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.

Football is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition to have a conference TV network.

Reaction Score
I only stated that SNY is part of the ESPN Networks because we could stream the SNY games via the "free" ESPN App (not the ESPN+ add on). So I am guessing that there is an SNY/ESPN connection somehow.

SNY is not owned in any way by ESPN. They are owned by the Mets and Comcast. The games not televised by ESPN are SNY productions with their graphics. They may by statute have to offer them up to ESPN3.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
SNY is not owned in any way by ESPN. They are owned by the Mets and Comcast. The games not televised by ESPN are SNY productions with their graphics. They may by statute have to offer them up to ESPN3.
I never said or implied that SNY was owned in any manner by ESPN so I appreciate that clarification. I only was asking why the SNY games are offered on the ESPN App and what was that association. That's all!!! And your "They may by statute" certainly answered my question. :rolleyes:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This is a little off topic but speaking of ESPN, I have been watching the Little League World Series and it is very irritating and hard to watch with all the interview interruptions while action is going on. Whoever thought that was a good idea, imo, are wrong and it has been happening in other sports. Just venting.

Reaction Score
Isn’t the big east linked with Fox Sports? Feel like I’ve seen a bunch of games on FS1 and FS2

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Isn’t the big east linked with Fox Sports? Feel like I’ve seen a bunch of games on FS1 and FS2
Yes, Fox has primary rights with the Big East for men's and women's basketball (and other sports), under a 12-year deal signed in 2013:

CBS has a sublicensing deal, but I'm pretty sure it's only for men's basketball, not women's:

Reaction Score
So, from reading a few of above posts...basically the BigEast does have their own Network, it's called FOXSports?

FOXSports should make it officially by saying, "The BIGEAST on FOXSports" at beginning of every game. :rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yes, Fox has primary rights with the Big East for men's and women's basketball (and other sports), under a 12-year deal signed in 2013:

CBS has a sublicensing deal, but I'm pretty sure it's only for men's basketball, not women's:
From what I understand now that UConn will be joining next year (20-21 season) that both Fox and the Big East will be renegotiating the TV agreement. Also the CBS Sports deal might be looked at. I do not think that ESPN will be televising any UConn games except for AAC, ACC, SEC, and maybe Big10 games that are away game for UConn. As for SNY, they will most likely get any game that are not on Fox Sports, CBS Sports, and the ones that ESPN covers, just like the current arrangement of ESPN, Fox Sports, and CBS Sports.

Reaction Score
When did Joe E. Brown get on the BY??? interesting quetion.

Reaction Score
Away games against certain ranked opponents will still be broadcast on ESPN. NCAA tournament games will still be broadcast on ESPN.

UConn is the driver of ratings in WCBB and ESPN is not dumb.
Oh really. Many of us believe, with good reason I might add,that ESPN was dumb enough to push Rutgers and Louisville over UCONN to the power 5.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh really. Many of us believe, with good reason I might add,that ESPN was dumb enough to push Rutgers and Louisville over UCONN to the power 5.

Rutgers? Really? I always thought Rutgers to the Big 10 was more about the BTN (and cable boxes) than it was about ESPN. I doubt the ACC or ESPN regret choosing Louisville over UConn despite the Louisville scandals. They both knew what they were getting.

In any event, ESPN isn’t going to refuse to broadcast UConnWBB games when it can.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Are current Big East WBB Games broadcast on Fox, available on ESPN? Does Fox have a streaming service like WatchESPN?

Reaction Score
Rutgers? Really? I always thought Rutgers to the Big 10 was more about the BTN (and cable boxes) than it was about ESPN. I doubt the ACC or ESPN regret choosing Louisville over UConn despite the Louisville scandals. They both knew what they were getting.

In any event, ESPN isn’t going to refuse to broadcast UConnWBB games when it can.
Big Ten thought Rutgers was a link to the NYC TV market when the reality was either Syracuse or UConn would have stronger ties to NYC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom