ESPN Coverage | The Boneyard

ESPN Coverage

Reaction Score
I noticed that several people commented negatively about the ESPN coverage of the Notre Dame game. The comments seem entirely justifiable. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to put something in writing and send it to the company letting them know what we, an avid group of fans, think about their failure to treat women’s ball with the seriousness it deserves.We could also mention that we think two heads that know the game are better than three, one of whom doesn’t.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the general idea is to go after the less serious but curious fan since the serious fan is already locked to the channel. And this group may want to hear side stories which we think are redundant and tiresome.

Reaction Score
I am more bothered by the discussions of golf tournaments and other irrelevant matters than I am by stories of previous games, athletes experiences, etc. There is also the matter of timing. When someone is shooting a critical foul shot, I don’t want to be told about an upcoming broadcast while an ad for the show graces the screen.

Reaction Score
They may already realize that many serious viewers mute the volume and don't care what they're saying.

Reaction Score
I generally listen to sports with the sound off. I do, however, turn it up if there is someone (like Lobo) I am interested in listening to and the other announcers aren Thus when one is interesting and the other twho announcers aren’t, it’s annoying. Which is why I like having two on the team, one play-by-play and one commentator. All of this, however, begs the question of whether an information medium ought to be entirely run by entertainment criteria or is there a different balance to be maintained if the media is to be of value to the society.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
ESPN thinks women's sports in general are not a priority. Sure, they have an ESPNW site/page but they update it maybe once or twice a week and they always have plenty of links on the page to men's stories links.

Reaction Score
Do please cut down to two announcers. Didn’t think Deb A was best thing since sliced bread until I had to hear Adam, Lobo and Lawson as a trio. ESPN thinks because they have 3 they are really covering WBB. Less is more. Reality is Lawson and Lobo egos must be fed so they aren’t going anywhere. And yes, we know Adam is a shorty, giggle giggle. It was funny the first time but we’re good on that now. Give me Deb A now any day. She is totally into the game and has good insights like that 2 for 1 strategy to not hold the ball with :35 left. Get a shot off to get another scoring opportunity
before the clock expires.

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I like our own Eric Frede. I have heard him broadcast games other than SNY's UConn games and he does a great job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom