ESPN contract with ACC only guaranteed until 2027 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN contract with ACC only guaranteed until 2027

Reaction Score
FSU has a strong case. The original deadline for ESPN to extend the contract past 2027 has already passed. Jim Phillips illegally gave ESPN additional time to decide if they want to extend the contract or not past 2027. The schools did not vote on this as is required by conference bylaws.

By the way, anyone think its interesting ESPN hasn't extended the ACC contract past 2027? Why the holdup? ESPN gloats all over the SEC and practically ignores the ACC, even though they have the rights to ACC games. Could it be ESPN was already thinking about dumping the ACC and is done promoting them?

Reaction Score
I'm starting to wonder if Phillips overstepped his authority and fiduciary responsibility to its members by agreeing to things with ESPN without including all its members in the discussions. It's amazing that conference members could not get a copy of the GOR, take pictures of it, nor even take verbatim handwritten notes of it!! Might somewhat explain why the Magnificent 7 got together in the first place.

FSU insiders believe that the ACC has been run via Tobacco Road power mongers without any deferrence to the football-first schools (i.e. FSU, Clemson, etc). Seems like they're as dysfunctional as the old Big East.

Reaction Score
FSU has a strong case. The original deadline for ESPN to extend the contract past 2027 has already passed. Jim Phillips illegally gave ESPN additional time to decide if they want to extend the contract or not past 2027. The schools did not vote on this as is required by conference bylaws.

By the way, anyone think it’s interesting ESPN hasn't extended the ACC contract past 2027? Why the holdup? ESPN gloats all over the SEC and practically ignores the ACC, even though they have the rights to ACC games. Could it be ESPN was already thinking about dumping the ACC and is done promoting them?
Any UConn fan or Old Big East fan besides me getting the feeling of deje vu after reading this post .

Reaction Score
This talk of the ACC blowing up is wishful thinking. ESPN will exercise the option and the exit fee for Florida State vs new money from SEC invitation only becomes sensible around 2031-32. So our "dream" of chaos will not happen until then. Or if a judge says it's a bogus contract but from everything I read that's highly unlikely.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

By the way, anyone think its interesting ESPN hasn't extended the ACC contract past 2027? Why the holdup? ESPN gloats all over the SEC and practically ignores the ACC, even though they have the rights to ACC games. Could it be ESPN was already thinking about dumping the ACC and is done promoting them?
Why do you believe what transpired was illegal?

Reaction Score
This talk of the ACC blowing up is wishful thinking. ESPN will exercise the option and the exit fee for Florida State vs new money from SEC invitation only becomes sensible around 2031-32. So our "dream" of chaos will not happen until then. Or if a judge says it's a bogus contract but from everything I read that's highly unlikely.
I think it's more than wishful thinking. See exhibit 1: PAC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s literally not important at all.

The odds on ESPN not renewing this incredibly favorable contract are zero.

The contract is not favorable for ESPN in the out years, unless you think cable is making a comeback.

Reaction Score

A strong case for what?

Reaction Score
Why do you believe what transpired was illegal?

It's in the ACC Bylaws that member schools must vote for any changes to the contract. They did not vote to grant ESPN an extension to decide if they wanted to pick up the 9 year option of the contract past the year 2027. The ACC Commissioner illegally added that into the contract. The version members voted on had a deadline date for ESPN to decide on the option that has already passed.

Of important note is that the first deadline (the legal one) for ESPN to extend the contract came and went. ESPN did not opt to extend the contract. To this day, ESPN has still not agreed to extend the contract past 2027. I don't believe it is their intention to do so.

Reaction Score
It's in the ACC Bylaws that member schools must vote for any changes to the contract. They did not vote to grant ESPN an extension to decide if they wanted to pick up the 9 year option of the contract past the year 2027. The ACC Commissioner illegally added that into the contract. The version members voted on had a deadline date for ESPN to decide on the option that has already passed.

Of important note is that the first deadline (the legal one) for ESPN to extend the contract came and went. ESPN did not opt to extend the contract. To this day, ESPN has still not agreed to extend the contract past 2027. I don't believe it is their intention to do so.
Who says that's the contract? Is it the GOR contract or the media contract? What if the GOR only authorized the ACC as the sole negotiator?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Please post the bylaws that you are referencing and the discussions in which the deadline to excersize the second option was extended. Beyond that lack of compliance by the commissioner would not qualify as being illegal (although it would be malfeasance), every assertion that you are presenting is merely speculation. We do not know if the commissioner was given authority to make the decision to extend the media extension deadline and we do not know what (if any) consideration was conveyed by ESPN to extend the deadline.

What may well be of far greater importance is that FSU, by not acting immediately, may well have given the ACC implied acceptance of the GOR and the extension of the deadline.

Reaction Score
Please post the bylaws that you are referencing and the discussions in which the deadline to excersize the second option was extended. Beyond that lack of compliance by the commissioner would not qualify as being illegal (although it would be malfeasance), every assertion that you are presenting is merely speculation. We do not know if the commissioner was given authority to make the decision to extend the media extension deadline and we do not know what (if any) consideration was conveyed by ESPN to extend the deadline.

What may well be of far greater importance is that FSU, by not acting immediately, may well have given the ACC implied acceptance of the GOR and the extension of the deadline.
For all we know FSU showed lots of private displeasure. None of us know. I wish everyone would stop jumping to all these conclusions of what FSU did or did not do. Same goes for the ACC and ESPN.

Reaction Score

Google it. It’s not that hard to find.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Google it. It’s not that hard to find.
I'm calling bu!!$#it on most of your claims. Until you demonstrate that you are correct (some of your claims, including the alleged illegality of Phillips' actions) call your credibility into serious question.

Reaction Score
I'm calling bu!!$#it on most of your claims. Until you demonstrate that you are correct (some of your claims, including the alleged illegality of Phillips' actions) call your credibility into serious question.
Are you even reading these posts? Others have discussed it as well. Literally Google it. Watch the FSU Trustees meeting video. It’s everywhere. Lord.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Are you even reading these posts? Others have discussed it as well. Literally Google it. Watch the FSU Trustees meeting video. It’s everywhere. Lord.
I've read every post and watched the video. I have yet to see one thing that validates your claims. At some point, when this is either settled or goes to court we will find out if Phillips did or did not overstep his authority. I seriously doubt that it was a case where ESPN said "we're going to pass on the extension" and Phillips replied "We'll give you more time to decide", but even if it was, there is a strong chance that he had spoken to at least some of the member schools and acted on the belief that there was more value in extending the deadline than in letting the contract expire in 2027. if Phillips was acting In good faith at that point, even a bad decision is not in and of itself sufficient for FSU to leave without penalty.

I do know FSU's stance on this. We also know that more than one other member of the ACC would prefer to leave the conference for greener pastures. If the deadline extension is as cut and dried as you claim, why hasn't any other ACC school brought this up as grounds to leave?

Reaction Score
I think it's more than wishful thinking. See exhibit 1: PAC.
See Exhibit 2: PAC 12 GOR was set to expire 7/1/24. ACC goes to 2036. Nothing will happen to ACC in near-term (prob 7 years) unless they lose in court which seems unlikely

Reaction Score
See Exhibit 2: PAC 12 GOR was set to expire 7/1/24. ACC goes to 2036. Nothing will happen to ACC in near-term (prob 7 years) unless they lose in court which seems unlikely
ESPN can render it meaningless soon, though. Everyone is checking their parachutes now.

Reaction Score
Still baffled by the mind blowing statement that the members don't have a copy of the GOR's

Reaction Score
Still baffled by the mind blowing statement that the members don't have a copy of the GOR's
It is kind of mind blowing at face value but I saw a former network TV exec say that it's pretty common practice for conferences to hold the only copy of tv deals because they don't want them in all schools as they don't want them leaked.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is kind of mind blowing at face value but I saw a former network TV exec say that it's pretty common practice for conferences to hold the only copy of tv deals because they don't want them in all schools as they don't want them leaked.

I don’t believe that whoever you heard was telling the truth. These are public institutions that can’t just sign multi million dollar contracts and then not have a record of it.

It blows my mind that not only did this happen, but no one ever raised a red flag about the fact that the schools didn’t have the contracts. Hundreds, or possibly thousands of people had to know about this situation. There are auditors and inspectors that do reviews in the ordinary course of their jobs that had to have flagged this situation.

Something doesn’t hold together in this story.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe that whoever you heard was telling the truth. These are public institutions that can’t just sign multi million dollar contracts and then not have a record of it.

It blows my mind that not only did this happen, but no one ever raised a red flag about the fact that the schools didn’t have the contracts. Hundreds, or possibly thousands of people had to know about this situation. There are auditors and inspectors that do reviews in the ordinary course of their jobs that had to have flagged this situation.

Something doesn’t hold together in this story.
I'm just relaying what an insider said. Maybe no one said anything about it nor raised a red flag because it is common practice?

Reaction Score
I believe CTFAN4LIFE is correct from all I have read and heard. It is the multi-media agreement with ESPN that is the double secret document held at the ACC's HQ. The Athletic reports that the original GoR (2013) is very similar to the current one. It probably contains only minor changes such as eliminating references to "Current" and "Accepted" members (under the new agreement all schools would be current members) and, obviously, the term of the agreement would change.

The original document was 16 pages long, but the agreement itself was just three and a half pages. The rest of the document consisted of signature pages - one for the ACC commissioner and one each for the member schools. The copy I got from The Athletic has the UNC signature page signed. Also, this document refers to other documents that are not readily available so the GoR alone isn't that useful without the documents referenced below.

From 'The Recitals' on page one of the 2013 GoR:

WHEREAS, as a condition to the agreement of ESPN to offer additional consideration to
the Conference as part of a further amendment to the Amended ESPN Agreement (the
"Additional Amendment"; the Additional Amendment, together with the Amended ESPN
Agreement, collectively, the "ESPN Agreement"), each of the Member Institutions is required to,
and desires to, irrevocably grant to the Conference, and the Conference desires to accept from
each of the Member Institutions, those rights granted herein; and

I hope this helps . . . but I don't think it does.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom