ESPN article re: WNBA MVP candidates | The Boneyard

ESPN article re: WNBA MVP candidates

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Probably little better than click bait. Top 6 at this point of the season. Left out Nneka in favor of her teammate Parker. That seems like a major blunder. Nneka not in the top 6 but Chiney at number 3. Hmm....
Top 2 probably about right.

Who are the WNBA MVP front-runners?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Also have Cambage in top 6 but not Fowles or Griner. I don't think they are taking the record of the team the player plays for into account.

Reaction Score
Looks like Stewart is the frontrunner as of now. I like Aja Wilson after her. Maya Moore is coming from the outside !! Nneaka making a move too.

Reaction Score
Chiney at #3 is irresponsible homerism on the part of one ESPN employee to another. I'm furious about this. How can the general sports public take a league fighting for respect seriously when one of their journalists doesn't? The Sun have been on a downward spiral since their actual MVP, Alyssa Thomas, got hurt. Chiney, IMO, doesn't even belong in the top 15.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well if it was so close between Moore and Fowles (first line of #1 Moore - "Maya Moore may not even be the MVP on her own team... Sylvia Fowles...".

So if that's the case why isn't Fowles #2 or 3? I believe Stewie is #1 at this time, but no reason 2 players from the same team can't be on the list. I agree with @ucbart on Ogwumike - her team has been on a downward spiral since Thomas got hurt. It's not the "best player in the league". It's "Most Valuable Player". That means it should be someone leading their team to the playoffs and the top of the league...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Probably little better than click bait. Top 6 at this point of the season. Left out Nneka in favor of her teammate Parker. That seems like a major blunder.

Parker is leading her team in scoring and is in averaging 16.4 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 4.1 apg, while shooting over 51 percent from the floor, 37.5 percent from three, and almost 84 percent from the line - for one of the league's best teams. Her inclusion is certainly warranted - and yes, over Nneka, if you are only picking six players.

Well if it was so close between Moore and Fowles (first line of #1 Moore - "Maya Moore may not even be the MVP on her own team... Sylvia Fowles...".

So if that's the case why isn't Fowles #2 or 3? I believe Stewie is #1 at this time, but no reason 2 players from the same team can't be on the list. I agree with Ogwumike - her team has been on a downward spiral since Thomas got hurt. It's not the "best player in the league". It's "Most Valuable Player". That means it should be someone leading their team to the playoffs and the top of the league...

As for Chiney Ogwumike, she is not the most valuable player on her own team. That honor belongs to Alyssa Thomas, who is a secondary ballhandler and facilitator in addition to being a force in the paint.

Conn, with Alyssa Thomas: 7-1
June 13 - date of injury; record with Thomas becomes 7-2
Conn, without Alyssa Thomas: 2-5

Before Alyssa's injury: Jasmine Thomas is shooting 44/93 (47.311 percent)
After Alyssa's injury: Jasmine Thomas is shooting 30/107 (28.037 percent)

Not having a secondary facilitator and someone who can be a playmaker from the post is really hurting the Sun. Ogwumike has put up numbers, but that has also come at the expense of Jonquel Jones's numbers (when you compare her to last season) and the overall team.

CT cannot get Alyssa Thomas back soon enough.

Reaction Score
Chiney at #3 is irresponsible homerism on the part of one ESPN employee to another. I'm furious about this. How can the general sports public take a league fighting for respect seriously when one of their journalists doesn't? The Sun have been on a downward spiral since their actual MVP, Alyssa Thomas, got hurt. Chiney, IMO, doesn't even belong in the top 15.
Soooo true

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Parker is leading her team in scoring and is in averaging 16.4 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 4.1 apg, while shooting over 51 percent from the floor, 37.5 percent from three, and almost 84 percent from the line - for one of the league's best teams. Her inclusion is certainly warranted - and yes, over Nneka, if you are only picking six players.

LA was arguably better at the beginning of the season when Parker was out injured. They've been up and down since she returned. Also recently lost a pair of games w/ Nneka out w/ an injury. Stats be damned, Nneka is clearly the more important player of those 2 as far as I'm concerned.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
LA was arguably better at the beginning of the season when Parker was out injured. They've been up and down since she returned. Also recently lost a pair of games w/ Nneka out w/ an injury. Stats be damned, Nneka is clearly the more important player of those 2 as far as I'm concerned.

Candace showing why she is the opposite of MVP. Particularly invisible effort so far after 1st half against the Sun. 3rd candidate on Sparks after Nneka and Chelsey :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
With A'ja or without her Las Vegas isn't going to make the playoffs! NO CHANCE FOR MOP/MVP!
McBride is the straw that stirs the drink in Las Vegas!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom