ESPN article on tournament teams graduation rates | The Boneyard

ESPN article on tournament teams graduation rates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What is going on? ESPN has an article stating that there are 8 teams with below graduation rates in this years tourney. Why is UConn on this list with a rate of 897. I'm not sure how to link it, but what's this crap.

Reaction Score
The article had everything to do with APR and nothing to do with graduation rates. The phrasing is very confusing though. The guy who made the study was congratulating UCONN on their perfect APR score. I am assuming that they just mentioned the 4 year numbers even though are 2 year numbers are perfect, or near to it, and that's why we are eligible once again.

Edit. F!ck ESPN for even mentioned this irrelevant article and for confusing the masses.

Last edited:

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
What is a "below graduation rate" ?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where the apr of 897 came from. Read the article and see what you think.
Think it's the 4 year score, as we still have a low score bringing down the average. In 09-10, we received 826, and that's been dragging down our average for a while. After this year, that score is no longer calculated into the averages, and we should be fine.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I'm not sure where the apr of 897 came from. Read the article and see what you think.
Apr has nothing to do with graduation rate. Hence, my confusion.

Reaction Score
UCONN APR in 10-11 is 978 and APR in 11-12 is 947. You need either a 4 year average of 900 or a 2 year average of 930 to qualify for the tournament. These scores obviously qualify for a 2 year average above 930, so I am not sure why we were included. BTW, we reported a perfect score for 12-13.

Reaction Score
Not only does APR have nothing to do with graduation, but GSR has barely anything to do with graduation either. Kentucky's GSR is fantastic! This is the way the world is headed: drop standards, then invent arbitrary and easily met metrics to justify existence (and salary).

Reaction Score
The article had everything to do with APR and nothing to do with graduation rates. The phrasing is very confusing though. The guy who made the study was congratulating UCONN on their perfect APR score. I am assuming that they just mentioned the 4 year numbers even though are 2 year numbers are perfect, or near to it, and that's why we are eligible once again.

Edit. F!ck ESPN for even mentioned this irrelevant article and for confusing the masses.
Apr has nothing to do with graduation rate. Hence, my confusion.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An annual study of the schools in the men's NCAA tournament shows a slight increase in teams that fall below graduation rate standards.
The University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport said in its report Monday that eight teams that made the 2014 men's bracket fall below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Rate score of 930, equivalent to a 50 percent graduation rate. Last year six teams didn't reach that benchmark.
Study author Richard Lapchick said while academic reforms overall have led to positive change, he urged tougher measures. He would like to see the NCAA's four-year standard raised to a graduation rate equivalent to 60 percent.
This year 88 percent of the teams in the men's tournament currently graduate at least 60 percent of their players.
Currently, teams scoring below a 925 APR can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships. Teams can also be subject to penalties for poor academic performance over time.
Teams in this year's field that would be subject to NCAA-imposed sanctions that could keep them from postseason play are: Cal Poly (925), Coastal Carolina (921), North Carolina Central (903), Oklahoma State (928), Providence (915), Texas Southern (900), Connecticut (897) and Oregon (918
).

Reaction Score
ORLANDO, Fla. -- An annual study of the schools in the men's NCAA tournament shows a slight increase in teams that fall below graduation rate standards.
The University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport said in its report Monday that eight teams that made the 2014 men's bracket fall below the NCAA-mandated Academic Progress Rate score of 930, equivalent to a 50 percent graduation rate. Last year six teams didn't reach that benchmark.
Study author Richard Lapchick said while academic reforms overall have led to positive change, he urged tougher measures. He would like to see the NCAA's four-year standard raised to a graduation rate equivalent to 60 percent.
This year 88 percent of the teams in the men's tournament currently graduate at least 60 percent of their players.
Currently, teams scoring below a 925 APR can lose up to 10 percent of their scholarships. Teams can also be subject to penalties for poor academic performance over time.
Teams in this year's field that would be subject to NCAA-imposed sanctions that could keep them from postseason play are: Cal Poly (925), Coastal Carolina (921), North Carolina Central (903), Oklahoma State (928), Providence (915), Texas Southern (900), Connecticut (897) and Oregon (918
).

I guess I'm a confused old lady.:) What are they talking about?

Reaction Score
They do this every year at this time. I'm expecting a "news breaking" college basketball article from Yahoo shortly.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
UCONN APR in 10-11 is 978 and APR in 11-12 is 947. You need either a 4 year average of 900 or a 2 year average of 930 to qualify for the tournament. These scores obviously qualify for a 2 year average above 930, so I am not sure why we were included. BTW, we reported a perfect score for 12-13.
The article also said that in 2014-15 and beyond you'll need a 2 year average of 940 or above and a 4 year average of 930 or above. Looks like some more NCAA bull. Enacting something for next year that are effected by the past 3 years before teams knew about the higher standards. Way to go NCAA... At thsi point I guess I'm never really surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom