ESPN Article on New Coaches | The Boneyard

ESPN Article on New Coaches

Reaction Score
Penny, Crean, Hurley, Mack: Which new coaches will break through?

Dan Hurley, UConn
Challenges he faces:
For a 15-year stretch under Jim Calhoun, UConn was up there with the blue bloods of college basketball. The Huskies won four national championships, went to five Final Fours and reached the Sweet 16 more often than not. The start of Kevin Ollie's term in charge was more of the same; the Huskies won the national championship in 2014. Since then, it has been something of a disaster in Storrs. UConn missed the NCAA tournament in three of the past four seasons, only reaching it in 2016 because Jalen Adams hit a 60-foot buzzer-beater to beat Cincinnati in the AAC tournament. Ollie wasn't recruiting to the same level as Calhoun, and UConn lost its prestige among the upper echelon of the sport. So now Hurley has to bring back UConn basketball. That's about it.

Chances he is successful: Hurley specializes in these sorts of turnaround jobs. The year before he took over at Wagner, the Seahawks finished 5-26. Within two seasons, Wagner went 25-6 and finished one game from a Northeast Conference title. The year before Hurley moved to Rhode Island, the Rams were 7-24. By the time Hurley left Kingston six seasons later, Rhode Island had gone to two straight NCAA tournaments, winning one game each trip. UConn won't be a league title contender immediately, but Hurley has put together an elite staff and already has landed ESPN 100 guard James Bouknight in the 2019 class. Hurley won't take long to get the Huskies back to national relevance.

Reaction Score
It's fun to pick on ESPN, but I don't know about this one. In a short two paragraphs they seem to have made a lot of the same points that we make/agree with. ESPN (while locally located) isn't UConn's local press and they can be snarky with all but the top darling programs. Yet they acknowledge UConn being at the top under Calhoun for a long time (maybe we want it to be longer). They gave Calhoun credit for all 4 Championships (probably saved space). Mentioned that even Ollie's most recent tournament trip was precarious (even though we believe we still would've been in). Then they end the Hurley blurb by pretty much guaranteeing success. Sounds acceptable to me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They gave Calhoun credit for all 4 Championships (probably saved space). Mentioned that even Ollie's most recent tournament trip was precarious (even though we believe we still would've been in).

No they gave Calhoun credit for four National Championships (instead of three), but still noted the 2014 National Championship under Ollie.

But yeah, if the worst that I can say about an ESPN piece is that they've attributed one more National Championship to us than we have, things are getting better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But yeah, if the worst that I can say about an ESPN piece is that they've attributed one more National Championship to us than we have, things are getting better
This was exactly what I thought when I read that article.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This was exactly what I thought when I read that article.

Calhoun won an NIT, which is a "national championship" of a sort. But I think it was just sloppy writing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Calhoun won an NIT, which is a "national championship" of a sort. But I think it was just sloppy writing.
Although I am 100% certain that was not the intended reference, that is an excellent point to win an argument.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Although I am 100% certain that was not the intended reference, that is an excellent point to win an argument.

On a perfect spring evening, sometime I can still smell the burning dorm couches and stale beer. :)

Reaction Score
Make sure you note that on the walls.
Clearly you didn't like the story, just say it and move on already. At least I took a risk and posted something personal trying to share with other like minded (Uconn fans) people....Any ways. It was a one time thing I did as a kid in 1998 and 1999 as a big time fan of a team I loved, not sure if that second part rings a bell to you at all, but figured the story might resonate with other big time Huskies fan.

Maybe name some things you did as a kid so we can make fun of those things too, eh?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
How in the world is it that people who are paid to know things about this sport can't realize UConn is in regardless if Jalen's shot goes in?
I think it was even Joe Lunardi who said they were in regardless of the Jalen Cinci game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe name some things you did as a kid so we can make fun of those things too, eh?
You don't need a reason to make fun of Dove; you just do it.

That said, there's the satin pants thing, for starters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How in the world is it that people who are paid to know things about this sport can't realize UConn is in regardless if Jalen's shot goes in?
Because they weren't.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom