ESPN article about UCONN v Iowa with Nika assists record since 1999 | The Boneyard

ESPN article about UCONN v Iowa with Nika assists record since 1999

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

"... Nika Muhl, who had 13 assists Sunday. According to ESPN Stats & Information research, she is the only UConn player since 1999 to have three consecutive games of 10 assists or more -- an era that includes all-time great Sue Bird's Huskies career."

"UConn now has defeated top-10 teams Texas, NC State and Iowa. UConn is the fourth women's team since the 1999-2000 season to face three top-10 teams in the first five games of the season, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. The other three teams went 1-8 in those games."

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
"This team responds," Auriemma said. "I knew we were tired and it was a struggle, and [against] a team that just keeps punching you. And Azzi, she punched back. Being tired and facing all the attention she faces, she's really been remarkable since Paige got hurt."

Reaction Score
Can anyone out there believe that Uconn is not a Team to be reckoned with? 3 top 10 teams and Uconn has averaged 82 points against them and they have averaged 68. This team was challenged in this game and in true Uconn fashion they won the game. 5 stand out players delivering a successful outcome, A WIN. GO HUSKIES!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This UConn team has taken the "experts" by surprise. But I think the team has taken most of us by surprise. Loosing Paige in August was a big blow. How do you go no without the best player in wcbb?

Well now we all know. Geno, the and coaching staff and the team learned many lessons from last year's season. They kno what it takes to overcome adversity. They trust each other to do what needs to be done. Dorka goes down after the Texas game with a broken thumb. But the front line continues to control the paint and the boards. Caroline has neck problems. Again players step up to fill the void.

Players are getting healthy as we saw with Caroline today. Dorka will be next on the court. This is a really special team.

Reaction Score
It’s a different UCONN team than we are used to seeing. There’s always a wealth of talent but this group plays with a hunger and an edge that’s not usually there. And, no one shies away when the game is close. They all want the ball. Fun team to root for.

Reaction Score
It’s a different UCONN team than we are used to seeing. There’s always a wealth of talent but this group plays with a hunger and an edge that’s not usually there. And, no one shies away when the game is close. They all want the ball. Fun team to root for.
We’ve seen this type of UConn team before just not during the “Wooden” years.

Reaction Score
Check out this stat. Uconn has 107 assists and Nika has 54 of them. She has more assists than the rest of the team all by herself. A definite win for the Lieberman Award. I believe Nika this year is going to set an assists record for Uconn that will never be broken. If she keeps up her assists per game at the rate she is on now , she will have over 400 assists for the year. based upon her not getting injured or impaired in the future. GO NIKA!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
This year's team is clearly different than last for several reasons in no particular order:
1. Lou has lessened the blow of losing Paige.
2. Aubrey is no longer confined to the bench.
3. Edwards and Muhl have gotten substantially better.
4, Ayanna has added much needed rebounding help.
5. There has been addition by subtraction - there were players last year who wanted the ball but too often didn't do much with it.

(yes, I know point 5 will earn me several dislikes from the "no negatives", "no controversy" crowd.)

Reaction Score
This year's team is clearly different than last for several reasons in no particular order:
5. There has been addition by subtraction - there were players last year who wanted the ball but too often didn't do much with it.

(yes, I know point 5 will earn me several dislikes from the "no negatives", "no controversy" crowd.)
Nika's energy has permeated the entire team, so no dislike on your #5 point here.

The combined speed of the team, and "attack" the basket mindset is amazing, which opens up the 3 pt arc and the 'extra' pass {beyond the arc} gets the MOST open player a great shot - even when they don't fall in.

The shooters know they will drop in the bucket eventually, and so it happened vs. Iowa.... Simply marvelous!!!

Go Huskies! Get healthy! Stay healthy!

[I am not sure that Paige is really out for the season... :D Officially starting a rumor :D [absolutely NOT confirmed, before I'm put "In the box" for a night....]

Did you see Paige's 3/4 court shot {on one leg} with "nothing but net"? Should be a remake of Jordan & Bird playing H.O.R.S.E. with Paige and Azzi in the making....

Reaction Score
... [I am not sure that Paige is really out for the season... :D Officially starting a rumor :D [absolutely NOT confirmed, before I'm put "In the box" for a night....]
I've had the same thought from almost the time she was injured but her rehab was progressing pretty quickly although I chose not to put the thought in print. I figured by early February she's going to be chomping at the bit to get back out on the court. It would be a shame to waste a year of eligibility for a handful of games and a couple of tournaments but it could mean a NC and she does have a Covid year. Would Geno let her risk it?

Reaction Score
I know point 5 (addition by subtraction) will earn me several dislikes

The Senior players you're alluding to played their hearts out. They were what we had and they were rightfully UConn starters and the team would not have been as successful as it was without them. There were times, many times, when each of them played at an elite level. The team led by these players over-achieved, IMO; I appreciate the great seasons they gave us. And BTW it's far from certain that those seasons will be matched; that's why they play the games.

But nobody can accuse you of being incorrect. You can't watch the speed and decisiveness of the ball being brought down the court now and not admit the huge difference. Elsewhere, you can't watch the core consistency that has replaced the Jekyll-Hyde performances we got from those players and not admit that a newer, higher base level of performance has been established.

This is a better team. No harm in acknowledging that and moving forward.

Reaction Score
I've had the same thought from almost the time she was injured but her rehab was progressing pretty quickly although I chose not to put the thought in print. I figured by early February she's going to be chomping at the bit to get back out on the court. It would be a shame to waste a year of eligibility for a handful of games and a couple of tournaments but it could mean a NC and she does have a Covid year. Would Geno let her risk it?
If Paige plays this season and reinjures her ACL, Geno will be hunted down with pitchforks and burned at the stake.

Having said that, if by some chance she could play this year it may come down to her plans after the 23-24 season. If she definitely has no intention of sticking around for 24-25 season, then she would have no eligibility concerns about playing this season. Of course, Geno would have to be willing to risk the pitchforks.

Reaction Score
Complimentary article from ESPN. What is next?

A very nice article.

Reaction Score
If Paige plays this season and reinjures her ACL, Geno will be hunted down with pitchforks and burned at the stake.

Having said that, if by some chance she could play this year it may come down to her plans after the 23-24 season. If she definitely has no intention of sticking around for 24-25 season, then she would have no eligibility concerns about playing this season. Of course, Geno would have to be willing to risk the pitchforks.
When Shea tore hers the second time, Geno told her she was out for the season no matter how fast she rehabbed it. While not a second tear, it is the second injury to the same knee.There is no way Paige should risk her long term recovery by trying to come back this year. To suggest otherwise us irresponsible.

Reaction Score
Check out this stat. Uconn has 107 assists and Nika has 54 of them. She has more assists than the rest of the team all by herself. A definite win for the Lieberman Award. I believe Nika this year is going to set an assists record for Uconn that will never be broken. If she keeps up her assists per game at the rate she is on now , she will have over 400 assists for the year. based upon her not getting injured or impaired in the future. GO NIKA!!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Was she on the Lieberman award list to start the season? Can she be added?

Reaction Score
Ugh! Last year's team was great! They got to the NC game against all odds, and could have won it if they'd been healthy.

What kind of standards are folks imagining here that such a team somehow falls short in our praise and admiration? If you wonder why Azzi felt so bad about herself and her team after an amazing run -- she actually asked herself "Are we the worst UConn team ever?" -- it's partly because of baloney like that. No, Azzi, you all amazed us last season!

I loved that team. And I love this team, too. Not mutually exclusive thoughts.

Reaction Score
No idea why people need to take potshots at the departed seniors unless it’s just to stir up other fans. There’s a name for posters like that.
I suppose stirring the pot is a possibility but but certainly not my motivation. Fairy tales may be entertaining but they are not reality. Everything is not "feel good" in the real world.

I was objectively noting some reasons why this year's team seems to be different than last year's team in support of another posters statement that they were. I didn't disparage any player by name. I was critical of the class. The reality is that those players didn't have the success that most likely even they expected. As I recall they lost a few games they should have won regardless of the games they did win. What's that expression about ducks? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

Geno, himself on more than occasion referred to one of those departed players as uncoachable. Is it possible for a coach to say anything worse than that about one of his players?

Reaction Score
Complimentary article from ESPN. What is next?

A very nice article.
Agreed! Can we dispose of the notion ESPN ignores UConn? If anything, the website highlights UConn and Geno relevant issues. That said, and Rebecca excepted, I'm not sure the studio commentators are more than grudgingly respectful.

Reaction Score
imho, geno will make her sit

Reaction Score

As to your point three. During their freshman year Geno pretty much from day one spoke of Paige, Aaliyah and Nika being "special players'. He saw something in each of them and as a group that I think gave him a little boost in keeping coaching. He knew what he had in Paige, as did the rest of the basketball world, but he also knew from day one that Aaliyah and Nika were going to be special players for Uconn. As much as he complains about each of them I think he has a special place in his heart for all three and come hell or high water wants to help them to each reach their potentials. Not because they are in any way simply favorites but rather he knows each of them want the challenges he will give them to become the best they can be. They want to be pushed to their limits by him to be the best they can be and do all they can for their team. I think he loves that about them.

The point being that this season, both Aaliyah and Nika are being put in the position that they are the big dogs in their particular positions, no-one is in front of them its time to or get off the pot and they are both stepping up big time. Both those guys are big time team first players and are being put in the position of needing to have major impacts. And they are stepping up big time. For Geno, IMO with these two, it's more than being proud of them as their coach its almost a parent thing pride. What they are doing this season doesn't just energize their teammates, I think they energize Geno too. I may be off base but the way I see it, three guys in that class have given him a reason to keep on coaching.

Reaction Score
I am sure Geno would not risk next year's (2024) national Championship for this year's when he is convinced this team can win it without Paige on the court.

Reaction Score
I suppose stirring the pot is a possibility but but certainly not my motivation. Fairy tales may be entertaining but they are not reality. Everything is not "feel good" in the real world.

I was objectively noting some reasons why this year's team seems to be different than last year's team in support of another posters statement that they were. I didn't disparage any player by name. I was critical of the class. The reality is that those players didn't have the success that most likely even they expected. As I recall they lost a few games they should have won regardless of the games they did win. What's that expression about ducks? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

Geno, himself on more than occasion referred to one of those departed players as uncoachable. Is it possible for a coach to say anything worse than that about one of his players?

Geno says a lot of things, but not all of them are true or accurate. I still remember him telling Katie Lou that she has no heart or something to that effect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom