ESPN announcement for Jones? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ESPN announcement for Jones?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So did you actually read the article? I admit have not seen it, but I really like the assessment.
Yes. Go to Oregonlive.com. There’s an article that predicts where all of Oregon’s 5 star recruits, both men’s & women’s, will end up. They predict Jones to UConn, with the photo of CD, Haley & Geno at Geno’s house for brunch during her official visit.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes. Go to Oregonlive.com. There’s an article that predicts where all of Oregon’s 5 star recruits, both men’s & women’s, will end up. They predict Jones to UConn, with the photo of CD, Haley & Geno at Geno’s house for brunch during her official visit.

1542241397668.png

Reaction Score
I think that Jones is an extremely intelligent and respectful young lady who made a commitment to visit Oregon, and subsequently kept her commitment. According to the article in the Oregonian today, there is not a lot of confidence in Oregon that Jones will end up in Eugene, except when UConn shows up to play there, as they predict that she ends up in Storrs.
I also expect Jones to choose UConn, and if not UConn then Stanford. However, some of her social media activity was curious. The weekend Jones was on campus in Storrs, she followed Jazmin Shelley, Oregon’s only commitment at the time and a player Jones had never met. Why would she do that while still on campus at UConn?

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
My best guess is an olinquito, which is sort of like a South American raccoon that lives high in the Andes.
I think you used that word on me the last time we played Scrabble, Dude.

Reaction Score
I like it. So it is written, so it shall be done. ;):cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope like anything that Dorf is spot on with his/her predictions, ... but when you say "he's [she's| doing very well so far"... he/she got ONE right... sure that's 1 for 1... not sure that translates into "doing very well"... again, I hope like all get out that he/she is truely on the money... but??;);)
He said Horston would go elsewhere and Jones would not announce today.

Reaction Score
I think that Jones is an extremely intelligent and respectful young lady who made a commitment to visit Oregon, and subsequently kept her commitment. According to the article in the Oregonian today, there is not a lot of confidence in Oregon that Jones will end up in Eugene, except when UConn shows up to play there, as they predict that she ends up in Storrs.

I wouldn't place too much confidence in the prediction of a writer that is not exactly an "expert" in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
He said Horston would go elsewhere and Jones would not announce today.
Uhhhhh.... ok... thought I read that he/she predicted Jones, Boston, Bueckers and Fudd to UCONN... but not Horston.
So he/she got Horston right... and the new "Jones not announcing today"... that's now 2 for 2... any ball player would like that shooting percentage, batting average, etc.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I think Jones will most likely end up signing with Geno or Tara, but the article is not as decisive or informed as some here have implied; it's simply a mostly men's basketball/football writer's prediction and is based on the very safe assumption that "it's just impossible to pick against UConn when it comes to the nation's top recruits," not inside knowledge or what the writer has been told by the UO staff. Another sentence (there are only two devoted to the Jones "analysis") says that "Kelly Graves and his coaching staff will be keeping a watchful eye on this commitment," while the UCONN prediction is preceded by a comment that "Oregon has an outside chance." So he's essentially bursting through open doors here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but Jones doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would have visited Oregon last weekend if she were absolutely certain about going to either Stanford or UCONN (or South Carolina). So things may be a bit more fluid than most folks seems to assume.
Probably?

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think Jones will most likely end up signing with Geno or Tara, but the article is not as decisive or informed as some here have implied; it's simply a mostly men's basketball/football writer's prediction and is based on the very safe assumption that "it's just impossible to pick against UConn when it comes to the nation's top recruits," not inside knowledge or what the writer has been told by the UO staff. Another sentence (there are only two devoted to the Jones "analysis") says that "Kelly Graves and his coaching staff will be keeping a watchful eye on this commitment," while the UCONN prediction is preceded by a comment that "Oregon has an outside chance." So he's essentially bursting through open doors here.
The Oregonian is the biggest daily newspaper in the state. I would expect they made their prediction after talking to Kelly Graves. While he may not be certain where she is going, coaches are usually pretty well in tune with what a recruit is going to do based on the signals they’re getting.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn't place too much confidence in the prediction of a writer that is not exactly an "expert" in women's basketball.
As I indicated in another post, the Oregonian is a major daily newspaper in the state. I would expect that the writer talked to Kelly Graves to get his input prior to making his prediction.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
The Oregonian is the biggest daily newspaper in the state. I would expect they made their prediction after talking to Kelly Graves. While he may not be certain where she is going, coaches are usually pretty well in tune with what a recruit is going to do based on the signals they’re getting.

That's possible. But I have lived in Oregon and read The Oregonian for 30+ years now, and I very much doubt Greif, who mostly covers football, has talked to anyone in the program. (He wrote an article about Ionescu last March but that's about it.). The prediction certainly has a much greater chance of being right than being wrong, but it's just that, one writer's prediction in a paper that doesn't have anyone like Carl Adamac assigned to WBB.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The Oregonian is probably considered legit by UO fans, but DESPISED by Oregon St. fans. The paper has a clear bias between the two major in state schools.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Oregonian is probably considered legit by UO fans, but DESPISED by Oregon St. fans. The paper has a clear bias between the two major in state schools.
Interesting info!

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Interesting info!

Actually, Duck fans despise the newspaper as well and believe (surprise!) that its coverage is biased in favor of Oregon State. They especially hate the paper's most prominent columnist, but also several of the staff writers. No one in Eugene that I know of considers its UO sports coverage legit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
:(
That's possible. But I have lived in Oregon and read The Oregonian for 30+ years now, and I very much doubt Greif, who mostly covers football, has talked to anyone in the program. (He wrote an article about Ionescu last March but that's about it.). The prediction certainly has a much greater chance of being right than being wrong, but it's just that, one writer's prediction in a paper that doesn't have anyone like Carl Adamac assigned to WBB.
So you’re telling me the writer was just winging it?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
:(
So you’re telling me the writer was just winging it?

I would call it a reasonable prediction (in an article that focuses mostly on men's basketball and football) based on the very different stature of the two programs.

Reaction Score
I just spoke with an old friend who's teaching at Stanford this year.....................when I asked about the Haley Jones recruiting situation he said "who the heck is Haley Jones?" ..............just reporting the facts folks.............just thought you'd want to know.....................:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ha, okay, so the Oregonian is universally despised by residents, regardless of which school they root for. :)

Reaction Score
As I indicated in another post, the Oregonian is a major daily newspaper in the state. I would expect that the writer talked to Kelly Graves to get his input prior to making his prediction.

Well, if he did comment to the paper about Jones, he committed a major NCAA recruiting violation.

Reaction Score
How much of an expert in women’s basketball do you need to be to essentially report what your hearing from the Oregon staff?

Considering coaches are prohibited by the NCAA from commenting on recruits, I doubt he spoke to the staff at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom