ESPN analyst mentions conference realignment when discussing PP's firing | The Boneyard

ESPN analyst mentions conference realignment when discussing PP's firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Also saw a few mentions on Twitter that "ohhhh... just another sign of the money running college football..." I fully realize that there is a financial side to the equation, but how about we just were tired of sucking???!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Also saw a few mentions on Twitter that "ohhhh... just another sign of the money running college football..." I fully realize that there is a financial side to the equation, but how about we just were tired of sucking???!

That's an excellent observation - I saw Jay Bilas, who is purely a one-trick pony, with a snide comment about amateurism.

That jackass lacks self-awareness in a big bad way.

He works for perhaps the single entity most responsible for the financial whorefest that is college athletics these days - he fancies himself a crusader when he's nothing more than a sideshow barker for the guilty party.

Reaction Score
At first I thought Bilas was noble, but his shat comes off as nothing but grandstanding as time goes on. Fishy nailed it as usual.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He works for perhaps the single entity most responsible for the financial whorefest that is college athletics these days - he fancies himself a crusader when he's nothing more than a sideshow barker for the guilty party.

I didn't know Bilas still worked for Duke.

Reaction Score
At first I thought Bilas was noble, but his shat comes off as nothing but grandstanding as time goes on. Fishy nailed it as usual.
disagree. people dont need to do everything. his thing is the money is there, it has totally taken over the place, so embrace it and stop the farce. why does he need some other opinion on the UConn football coaching situation, he is a basketball commentator. All he did is point out what he always tries to point out, the system is not amateur and we should stop pretending it is. Professors do not get fired mid year when they show up and teach every class. Big time sports is a different thing than a university, even if it is under the university.

Reaction Score
disagree. people dont need to do everything. his thing is the money is there, it has totally taken over the place, so embrace it and stop the farce. why does he need some other opinion on the UConn football coaching situation, he is a basketball commentator. All he did is point out what he always tries to point out, the system is not amateur and we should stop pretending it is. Professors do not get fired mid year when they show up and teach every class. Big time sports is a different thing than a university, even if it is under the university.

This. And Bilas is the furthest thing from a Dukie as there can be for someone who played for Duke.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"I think it was a little bit of an aberration....I think the bar was raised higher than it should have been for Paul Pasqualoni."

So 6-6 is more than we have a right to expect? Having an running game or protecting the quarterback is unreasonable? jerkoff.

Reaction Score
In fairness to Bilas, he doesn't know wtf he is talking about.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
"I think it was a little bit of an aberration....I think the bar was raised higher than it should have been for Paul Pasqualoni."

So 6-6 is more than we have a right to expect? Having an running game or protecting the quarterback is unreasonable? jerkoff.

It's really easy to be on the outside... but really... it wasn't a hasty reaction... he had two 5-7 seasons with teams that really should have performed much better.. it would be one thing if our losses were to the Louisvilles and Michigans but we lost to the worst teams on our schedule (WM twice, Buffalo, Towson, Iowa State, Vanderbilt). We lost games where our defense played INSANELY well.. 7-10 to NC State? He didn't get fired because he lost... he got fired because he lost to teams and in ways that he had no business losing too... and this year... he didn't just lose to Buffalo and Towson... he got BLOWN OUT by Buffalo and Towson. You look back at what could have been and it kills you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's really easy to be on the outside... but really... it wasn't a hasty reaction... he had two 5-7 seasons with teams that really should have performed much better.. it would be one thing if our losses were to the Louisvilles and Michigans but we lost to the worst teams on our schedule (WM twice, Buffalo, Towson, Iowa State, Vanderbilt). We lost games where our defense played INSANELY well.. 7-10 to NC State? He didn't get fired because he lost... he got fired because he lost to teams and in ways that he had no business losing too... and this year... he didn't just lose to Buffalo and Towson... he got BLOWN OUT by Buffalo and Towson. You look back at what could have been and it kills you.
Yep. But the biggest "loss" was he lost this team. That was evident in Buffalo.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
college football is about money? that's just shocking

can't we fire a coach if he's a miserable failure on the field? is there really something wrong with that?

and comparing the football coach to a professor is just incredibly stupid. That's like saying it's wrong for Jim Calhoun to make more than the Governor, there's some serious disconnect going on there

Reaction Score

At the end of the day, though, it's part of the university. Beholden to laws like Title IX, and under the same sort of labor restrictions and relations. In fact, people always mention restrictions on athletes seeking outside labor, without realizing that there are people at universities in the very same boat--restricted labor because they receive some form of support due to their apprenticeship status. Schools are going to look at athletes the same way they look at other laborers and/or students. I can't imagine this changing until the day when the athletic department splits off and becomes for-profit, with no scholarships for students. Until then, you have labor classes.

If the athletes unionize, they'll find themselves in a weird kind of boat with other unionized student-laborers on campus.

Remember, at the end of the day, the athletic department revenues are fungible. There is no law decreeing that student fees should be directed toward athletic departments, or that direct institutional support is necessary, or that academic advisors should be salaried by the academic side, or that the cost burden on facilities should not be the responsibility of athletics, or that donations and royalties are revenue streams directed to athletics. All these can change. The accountants can make the profitable look like a big money suck in a split second.

Reaction Score
Professors do not get fired mid year when they show up and teach every class. Big time sports is a different thing than a university, even if it is under the university.

If a professor at Harvard was responsible for making his students dumber than students at Tunxis CC, or Louisville, then yes he would be fired.

Reaction Score
If a professor at Harvard was responsible for making his students dumber than students at Tunxis CC, or Louisville, then yes he would be fired.

That is the first time I ever saw Tunxis CC and Harvard in the same statement!! (but I know Tunxis has never lost in Football *)

* Of course, they don't have football at the school!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom