English Promotion/Relegation 2019 | The Boneyard

English Promotion/Relegation 2019

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Thought I’d start a thread keeping up on the pro/rel of current English leagues. I like keeping an eye on them and follow a League 2 team who have a crucial last match.

So with this being the last week of regular season matches here’s where we stand.

I’ll list the playoff pictures after the games are played as many teams are still on cusp of making or not.

Prem

RELEGATION
Cardiff
Fulham
Huddlesfield

Championship

PROMOTION
Norwich City - Guarenteed Promotion (Championship winners)
Sheffield United - will be guaranteed Promotion if Leeds loses or draws today.

RELEGATION - (All spots finalized)
Rotherham United
Bolton Wanderers
Ipswich Town

Of those three, only Rotherham was promoted to the Championship this season and is dropping back down.

League 1

PROMOTION
(This one is all up in the air)
Currently Luton Town and Barnsley lead with 91 points and Portsmouth has 87 and Sunderland has 85. Both Sunderland and Portsmouth have another game while Luton and Barnsley have one.

RELEGATION
(Also a mess)
So 4 teams drop.
Bradford City is only guaranteed drop.
So there are 5 possible teams who could drop. Scunthorpe United and Walsall each have 46 while Plymouth Argyle and Southend United have 47. Finally AFC Wimbledon has 49. Here’s the interesting bit. Scunthorpe plays Argyle so if Scunthorpe wins, they still aren’t safe but Argyle is relegated. It then comes down to the last spot. If Walsall wins and Southend loses, Southend is relegated. If they both win and Wimbledon loses to Bradford City (they can still play for something), Walsall will have same point total but better GD.

League 2

PROMOTION (3 slots)
Lincoln City - Guaranteed Promotion
Bury, Mansfield Town, MK Dons all have shot for final 2 promotion slots. Bury has 77 and Mansfield and MK have 76. Mansfield and MK play each other on last weekend so whoever wins gains automatic promotion (I follow Mansfield Town), If they draw and Bury loses, they all have 77 points but Mansfield Town and Bury would gain it through GD. Bury wins, they are up.

RELEGATION (2 spots)
Yeovil Town
Notts County or Macclesfield Town

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Leeds picked a bad time to go cold. I'm still pulling for them.

Reaction Score
That Leeds game was crazy. I only saw the highlights (as I'm sure most did).

I don't like "unwritten rules." Any time someone has to voluntarily hold off from giving their all it leaves the chance for a bad result. Like a guy not stealing second base because his team is up big, and then the other team scores a ton to get back in the game. That was a huge game for Leeds. You're asking guys to make anti-competitive decisions on the fly.

It looked like the Leeds players were considering sending the ball out, but AV should've kept playing until it was out. It's not like their guy was dangerously hurt. Take a foul if you have to. That probably would've given Leeds time to think and they would've sent it back to the AV keeper.

Reaction Score
Norwich and Sheffield United are up!
Fulham has been a beast since getting officially relegated, now they can't lose.

It is looking more and more like it will be Leeds v either Derby/Middlesbrough; and West Brom v Aston Villa (a nice West Midlands Derby) in the Championship promotion semi-finals.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
My poor, poor Bolton Wanderers. Perhaps if the jackass owner had paid his players he would have seen an improvement in performance.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Screw Leeds. So glad the Daniel James fell through. Swansea should make a much higher sale for him this summer

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You guys got your wish. They were awful today, West Brom-esq even.

west brom was tremendous yesterday. just every player you’d want taking a kick was suspended by the time penalties rolled around.

how they didnt score in the first 20 of the second half ill never know.

i never thought for a second i’d miss robson-kanu

go derby.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hate Aston Villa.
Why would you? Are the owners Nazi's or something? Derby would be a good story but they stink. I'm thinking you can't have enough teams with the claret and blue.

Reaction Score
Why would you? Are the owners Nazi's or something? Derby would be a good story but they stink. I'm thinking you can't have enough teams with the claret and blue.

I like West Brom. Way better songs. The Premier League was better with them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Derby supporters were belting out "Que sera, sera", so there's that. I just looked it up, Derby and Villa are only about 40 miles apart. That's almost a derby for Derby. My next take is that the 2nd biggest city in the country deserves EPL football.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
These playoff first round matches have been crazy. Many have gone to Penalty shoot outs. I guess they don't use Away goals any more if tied on aggregate?

So here's what is at stake:

Aston Villa vs Derby - Winner goes to Prem
Charlton Athletic vs Sunderland - Winner to Championship
Tranmere Rovers vs Newport County - Winner to League 1

Final note: Leyton Orient and Salford City make it into the Football League from the National League while Notts County and Yeovil Town drop out of the Football League

Reaction Score
Correct @UCFBfan, away goals aren’t a factor in these promotion playoff matches, it’s AET and then PK’s if necessary. There've been some great games so far.

I Would love to see Derby back in the top flight. Unfortunately Villa has owned them this year, posting dominant wins in both matches played during the season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Villa takes the last spot, 2-1. Apparently, the prince is a Villa fan. Got caught on camera yelling an f-bomb after a late offsides call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Villa takes the last spot, 2-1. Apparently, the prince is a Villa fan. Got caught on camera yelling an f-bomb after a late offsides call.

just an absolute nightmare

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you hear that some sheik is buying Newcastle? If Rafa stays they could get good quickly.

I did. But I’m still trying to get over how the refs handed the semis to Villa.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Did you hear that some sheik is buying Newcastle? If Rafa stays they could get good quickly.
I heard this too. Wishing someone, anyone, would buy-out the worthless American majority owners of Swansea. They could use a person with deep pockets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom