End of Society - Mad Magazine to stop publishing new issues | The Boneyard

End of Society - Mad Magazine to stop publishing new issues

Reaction Score
Another vestige of formative years bites the dust.

>>Mad magazine — the iconic satirical publication with freckle-faced, jug-eared mascot Alfred E. Neuman — will soon no longer appear on newsstands after nearly seven decades.

The magazine, which was billed as a creation of “The Usual Gang of Idiots,” announced it will stop running issues with new writing this fall — with the exception of the annual year-end issue, ABC News reported.

Beginning with issue No. 11, the publication will only be available through subscriptions and comic book stores. “After issue #10 this fall there will no longer be new content — except for the end-of-year specials which will always be all new,” the publisher DC Comics said in a statement. “So starting with issue #11 the magazine will feature classic, best-of and nostalgic content from the last 67 years.”<<

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
My family members and some friends still quote the movies they used to lampoon like "Apocalypse Now" as
"A crock of s________ now" or "Rocky" as "Rockhead" or "Cool Hand Luke" as "Blue eyed kook" Hilarious! One of my favorites. Thanks for the update on subscriptions. I may subscribe to the classic stuff!

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Nooo! I grew up reading that magazine. No reason to live. Guess I will just go to the Arctic to sit on an ice flow and wait to die. ;)

Reaction Score
I didn’t mrealize it was still around. I was introduced to it when my late brother started reading it when it first came out I admit I was little and really didn’t get it. . It was later a staple with my best friend and I ( also deceased) until I was in my mid teens. It brings back a lot of memories.
Even though it’s almost gone I’m sure AE is still saying “What ,me worry”

Words to live by.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite non-sports magazines until I graduated to National Lampoon which met its demise in 1998. I remember Mad’s Behind The Scenes At The Post Office which showed all the different mail slots being funneled into one bin with the postal worker laughing hysterically. Favorite article in Lampoon was wife tasting. Favorite cover was USSR Olympic woman athlete with a big bulge in her shorts.. Two classic mags which contributed to my demented outlook.

Reaction Score
Used to love the little drawing in the margins. Usually done by Sergio Aragones. He had a great comic book called Groo the Wanderer. I didn't read many comic books as a kid but that one was awesome. Funny, silly, and really detailed illustrations.

Groo_the_Wanderer.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Did they do Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions?

Reaction Score
Gone are the days where your local drug store or grocery store had a magazine section. It seems like for the most part the only magazines in stores now are the rags sold at the checkouts. I would think most magazines are hurting these days. People do most of their leisurely reading on the internet or in the doctors waiting room.

Reaction Score
Another vestige of formative years bites the dust.

>>Mad magazine — the iconic satirical publication with freckle-faced, jug-eared mascot Alfred E. Neuman — will soon no longer appear on newsstands after nearly seven decades.

The magazine, which was billed as a creation of “The Usual Gang of Idiots,” announced it will stop running issues with new writing this fall — with the exception of the annual year-end issue, ABC News reported.

Beginning with issue No. 11, the publication will only be available through subscriptions and comic book stores. “After issue #10 this fall there will no longer be new content — except for the end-of-year specials which will always be all new,” the publisher DC Comics said in a statement. “So starting with issue #11 the magazine will feature classic, best-of and nostalgic content from the last 67 years.”<<

I'm surprised it lasted this long. Don Martin and Dave Berg passed away years ago, and Aragones has to be in his 80's or 90's.

Reaction Score
One of my favorite non-sports magazines until I graduated to National Lampoon which met its demise in 1998. I remember Mad’s Behind The Scenes At The Post Office which showed all the different mail slots being funneled into one bin with the postal worker laughing hysterically. Favorite article in Lampoon was wife tasting. Favorite cover was USSR Olympic woman athlete with a big bulge in her shorts.. Two classic mags which contributed to my demented outlook.
A question for you. Which magazine did the special issue on JFK'S 25 years in office? Was it Mad or NL? Can't remember. Lol
One of the best examples of American satire I ever read. I'll bet a mint copy is worth some bucks.

Reaction Score
All right-thinking individuals rooted for the Black Spy.

When I was in fourth grade, my teacher assigned each student in my class to select and read a poem. I chose "Casey at the Dice" from Mad Magazine. It's a good poem but my teacher was NOT amused. It was all done in complete innocence. I just liked the poem.

Mad was the first magazine to which I ever subscribed. Well, and read. I got Boy's Life for some reason but all I read in that was the page covering a chess game. It's like an essential piece of my childhood has died.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom