End of One and Done? | The Boneyard

End of One and Done?

Reaction Score
I would love this. The one-and-one guys are rarely key players in great teams and this year is the exception rather than the rule.

Here's a list of one-and-done players from Final Four teams:

2018: Omari Spellman (Nova)
2017: Tony Bradley (UNC), Zach Collins (Gonzaga)
2016: Malachi Richardson (Cuse)
2015: Karl Anthony-Towns, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker (Kentucky), Jahil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones (Duke).
2014: Julius Randle, James Young (Kentucky)
2013: none
2012: Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marquis Teague (Kentucky).

As it turns out, over the last seven year, if one-and-done players are on Final Four teams, 11 out of 15 times (73%) they're from Duke or Kentucky.

The short of it, a rule that will hurt Duke and Kentucky and help most other teams in the NCAA...I'm for it!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All for it. But will be interesting to see if they pump the G League player salary

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m glad they are finally going back to this.

No reason not to with the g league more established.

And the baseball rule would only make duke and Kentucky more dominant. Imagine having brow and Zion for 3 years.

Reaction Score
I just want college basketball back. CbB hasn't been the same since this stupid one and done rule got implemented. I hope theres a two year rule implemented if you go to college.

Reaction Score
It just figures that we finally have a top 5 recruit in our backyard again and now they're going to change the rule

Reaction Score
I would love this. The one-and-one guys are rarely key players in great teams and this year is the exception rather than the rule.

Here's a list of one-and-done players from Final Four teams:

2018: Omari Spellman (Nova)
2017: Tony Bradley (UNC), Zach Collins (Gonzaga)
2016: Malachi Richardson (Cuse)
2015: Karl Anthony-Towns, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker (Kentucky), Jahil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones (Duke).
2014: Julius Randle, James Young (Kentucky)
2013: none
2012: Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marquis Teague (Kentucky).

As it turns out, over the last seven year, if one-and-done players are on Final Four teams, 11 out of 15 times (73%) they're from Duke or Kentucky.

The short of it, a rule that will hurt Duke and Kentucky and help most other teams in the NCAA...I'm for it!!

I think the opposite may be true. The one and done factories will now get the best two and three year guys and have more time to mesh them into championship teams.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
NBA teams can draft & stash them I guess but at 18 years you need to play to develop, not many 18 year olds ready for NBA. Good for us I think, not so much for 1 & done factories.

I don't think it's so much playing the game, but the maturity jump from high school to playing with/against/traveling with grown adult professionals is huge.

If someone wants to improve, outside of a few college coaches, I can't see how player development wouldn't be better as a full time job, playing for an NBA organization, with the coaching and resources they have available.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's so much playing the game, but the maturity jump from high school to playing with/against/traveling with grown adult professionals is huge.

If someone wants to improve, outside of a few college coaches, I can't see how player development wouldn't be better as a full time job, playing for an NBA organization, with the coaching and resources they have available.

Do kids not care about exposure or the fun/energy that goes into playing in the tournament? GLeague, despite a 75K salary, would be so depressing. I think

the Q

Reaction Score
No matter what the age limit (unless it’s graduate and go like the “real world”) you will still have stupid decisions

Victor Paige?
Thomas Hamilton?
James Dickinson?
Greg Simpson?
Keith closs?
Jaron rush?

No matter what there will be bad life decisions.

Just like every other college kid in the world

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It certainly won't end one and done. It would probably shift a few guys to declare for the draft out of HS, but there will be some who won't and who will declare after freshman year. It's still better than the current system, which was put in place to protect the NBA teams from gambling draft picks on kids who never make it.

Reaction Score
No matter what the age limit (unless it’s graduate and go like the “real world”) you will still have stupid decisions

Victor Paige?
Thomas Hamilton?
James Dickinson?
Greg Simpson?
Keith closs?
Jaron rush?

No matter what there will be bad life decisions.

Just like every other college kid in the world

Not sure about the rest, but the story that went around about Victor Page was Georgetown ran out of ways to keep him eligible.

Reaction Score
Do kids not care about exposure or the fun/energy that goes into playing in the tournament? GLeague, despite a 75K salary, would be so depressing. I think

Make some money, avoid injuries without having to play make 0$. Huge risk career-wise to play in the NCAA if you have the g-league option.

I expect that some G-League teams could start being a lot more entertaining and getting more fans. Guaranee that Lonzo, Zion types could fill every G-league gym they play in.

Reaction Score
I still dont understand why top prospects dont go play in the EuroLeague. If im one of the top prospects in the country, and I need to support my family, Im going overseas and making money straight away and then going to the NBA when im eligible.

Reaction Score
I still dont understand why top prospects dont go play in the EuroLeague. If im one of the top prospects in the country, and I need to support my family, Im going overseas and making money straight away and then going to the NBA when im eligible.
Put yourself in the shoes of one of these 18 or 19 year olds. They're probably a little scared about picking up and moving to a strange country thousands of miles away. And before you say just have their parents go with them, I'd bet most parents can't afford to do that.

Reaction Score
Put yourself in the shoes of one of these 18 or 19 year olds. They're probably a little scared about picking up and moving to a strange country thousands of miles away. And before you say just have their parents go with them, I'd bet most parents can't afford to do that.
Idk im 18 and Id love to go to Spain or Greece for a season, make around 60k, and then leave. I know its not for everyone, but im surprised more players dont go overseas.

Reaction Score
Idk im 18 and Id love to go to Spain or Greece for a season, make around 60k, and then leave. I know its not for everyone, but im surprised more players dont go overseas.
Agreed. College kids study abroad all the time. It would be a great life lesson in maturity as well as making a few bucks on the side.

the Q

Reaction Score

They would get to live for free in the city. They could probably find some work there. The key would be saving the money.

Hell if you’re really a prospect the damn ownership team might give their parents jobs.

Reaction Score
Agreed. College kids study abroad all the time. It would be a great life lesson in maturity as well as making a few bucks on the side.
If you’re trying to get drafted, playing in Europe is not a good idea. It’s a completely different brand of basketball, and many of the players overseas are a lot older and mature as players. That’s a lot for an 18-year-old to adjust to for a one-year tryout.

Reaction Score
I just want college basketball back. CbB hasn't been the same since this stupid one and done rule got implemented. I hope theres a two year rule implemented if you go to college.
This will certainly help - the amount of turnover on rosters year over year has made it extremely difficult (and less enjoyable) to follow college hoops. And I think it’s contributed to the poor quality that’s plagued college basketball for years now.

But that’s only part of the problem. Unfortunately, the college hoops rules committee is even more incompetent than their NFL counterparts, and they seem more interested in implementing half-measures (i.e. freedom of movement) than rule changes that will actually make the game better.

Until they move to quarters and add things like defensive 3 seconds, the college game will continue to be a mediocre product.

the Q

Reaction Score
This will certainly help - the amount of turnover on rosters year over year has made it extremely difficult (and less enjoyable) to follow college hoops. And I think it’s contributed to the poor quality that’s plagued college basketball for years now.

But that’s only part of the problem. Unfortunately, the college hoops rules committee is even more incompetent than their NFL counterparts, and they seem more interested in implementing half-measures (i.e. freedom of movement) than rule changes that will actually make the game better.

Until they move to quarters and add things like defensive 3 seconds, the college game will continue to be a mediocre product.

No.

They already added the garbage semi circle.

No more terrible pro rules.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you're probably more adventurous than the average 18 year old. Plus none of us on here know what it's like for an 18 year old to head overseas and play professionally.

Here, let Brandon Jennings tell you what his experience was.

Brandon Jennings Sends Home a Warning From Europe

Ricky Rubio, who is from Spain, thinks it's not a good idea.

Ricky Rubio on LiAngelo, LaMelo Ball in Europe: 'a challenge for them'

On the flip side, Terrance Ferguson thought it worked out great playing in Australia.

NBA Draft prospect who skipped college to play overseas wants others to do the same

Sounds like it worked out for Emmanuel Mudiay.

Emmanuel Mudiay is not scared

I think any of us on here advocating for or against playing overseas for a year don't know what the issues really are. Including me but I do know it's not as easy a decision as some of you think. There's more to the decision than pocketing $1 million for a year.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom