End of an Era. What was your first.... | The Boneyard

End of an Era. What was your first....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Best Buy isn't selling music CD's anymore.

Yes, CD's as the go to way to purchase and listen to music has long since passed, but it's a milestone.

I don't remember what was my first CD. I do remember getting 12 of them for 1¢.

Reaction Score
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

Wu-TangClanEntertheWu-Tangalbumcover.jpg

Made my brother include it in one of his Columbia House 12/1¢ CD buys.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got three at the same time

De La Soul
Soul Coughing ("Ruby Vroom"....wow!)
annnnd, I do not remember the 3rd. I think maybe Tori Amos and I hated it. I was a about that one and I should say sorry to my sister who got it for me.

I know soon after I got a Rage Against the Machine (I think the second) album as well as Public Enemy (I think it had a skeleton and a gun on the cover).

Before those cds I used to get tapes and also use blank tapes to record the radio (lol) like Bush or No Doubt.

My god, if only I could remember those old school tapes I had from the early 90s when I was like 8 or 10 (1992, 93 and 94, wow)...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence.

I held out as long as I could and was sworn to vinyl (with a ton of cassettes), but I am a Vanatic and Hymns to the Silence was the first album that he did not release on vinyl and only released on CD, which forced my hand. If that wasn't bad enough, the damn thing is one track too long for a single CD so it had to be a double--and his cover of Ray Charles's "I Can't Stop Loving You" is the one-song-too-many on an otherwise great album.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
First CD? Who knows?

First 8 Track was Led Zeppelin "Houses of the Holy"
First album was Kiss "Destroyer"
First album was the Beatles The Beatles (aka "The White Album").

First 8 track was Bob Dylan and the Band, Before the Flood.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
First CD? Who knows?

First 8 Track was Led Zeppelin "Houses of the Holy"
First album was Kiss "Destroyer"
In 6th grade we had a kid who had a stack of KISS albums he would bring in and the teacher played them.

I got three at the same time

De La Soul
Soul Coughing ("Ruby Vroom"....wow!)
annnnd, I do not remember the 3rd. I think maybe Tori Amos and I hated it. I was a about that one and I should say sorry to my sister who got it for me.

I know soon after I got a Rage Against the Machine (I think the second) album as well as Public Enemy (I think it had a skeleton and a gun on the cover).

Before those cds I used to get tapes and also use blank tapes to record the radio (lol) like Bush or No Doubt.

My god, if only I could remember those old school tapes I had from the early 90s when I was like 8 or 10 (1992, 93 and 94, wow)...

I used to get excited waiting with a blank Memorex to tape Casey Kasem's American Top 40 (not him, just the songs I liked).

First album: Either Billy Joel "Glass Houses" or Styx "Paradise Theater"
First 45 record: Shaun Cassidy "Da Do Ron Ron" (Not proud here)
First cassette: Blondie "Auto American"
First 8-Track: Hand-me-down "Charlie Daniels Band Greatest Hits"

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In 6th grade we had a kid who had a stack of KISS albums he would bring in and the teacher played them.

I used to get excited waiting with a blank Memorex to tape Casey Kasem's American Top 40 (not him, just the songs I liked).

First album: Either Billy Joel "Glass Houses" or Styx "Paradise Theater"
First 45 record: Shaun Cassidy "Da Do Ron Ron" (Not proud here)
First cassette: Blondie "Auto American"
First 8-Track: Hand-me-down "Charlie Daniels Band Greatest Hits"
I 'member being outside with my "boombox", painting our fence, waiting for Gary Numan's "Cars" to come on the radio so I could tape it. 3 days in a row it came on right after Kenny Roger's "Lady". Even to this day, if I hear "Lady", right at the end of it my mind goes straight into "Cars". (It would have been way more ironic of it was Rush's "Tom Sawyer". :cool:)

First Album: I think.... BTO "Bachman-Turner Overdrive II". I remember it had four 3D boxes with their pictures on the cover which I would try to draw while sitting in class in Jr Hi.
First 45: ??? My brothers and I won a whole bunch of them from a radio station for winning some kind of contest. Must have been some sports trivia.
First cassette: ??? But I had boxes of them. Strawberry's Records and Tapes must have made a fortune off of me.
First 8 Track: My cousin and I got to pick out one each at a truck stop on our way to the Chicago Auto Show. He picked Led Zeppelin, I picked... Jackson 5. :oops: (In my defense, he was 3-4 year older than me.)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I 'member being outside with my "boombox", painting our fence, waiting for Gary Numan's "Cars" to come on the radio so I could tape it. 3 days in a row it came on right after Kenny Roger's "Lady". Even to this day, if I hear "Lady", right at the end of it my mind goes straight into "Cars". (It would have been way more ironic of it was Rush's "Tom Sawyer". :cool:)

First Album: I think.... BTO "Bachman-Turner Overdrive II". I remember it had four 3D boxes with their pictures on the cover which I would try to draw while sitting in class in Jr Hi.
First 45: ??? My brothers and I won a whole bunch of them from a radio station for winning some kind of contest. Must have been some sports trivia.
First cassette: ??? But I had boxes of them. Strawberry's Records and Tapes must have made a fortune off of me.
First 8 Track: My cousin and I got to pick out one each at a truck stop on our way to the Chicago Auto Show. He picked Led Zeppelin, I picked... Jackson 5. :oops: (In my defense, he was 3-4 year older than me.)

The good old days of needing of telling everyone to S T so you could record the radio or another tape/cassette on to your blank cassette.

The 1970's version of today's bootleg movies where you see someone get up and walk across seats in the middle of the movie.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't remember what was my first CD. I do remember getting 12 of them for 1¢.

I don't remember my first either, although I imagine it was something from the 70s to replace scratched up vinyl.

But speaking of Columbia House deals, I still remember most of my first order of 12 vinyl albums for a penny back in 1969:
- Led Zeppelin II
- Chicago Transit Authority
- Santana
- Crosby Stills & Nash
- Ssssh, Ten Years After
- Donovan's Greatest Hits
- Barabajagal, Donovan
- Cellophane Symphony, Tommy James & the Shondells
- Monster, Steppenwolf
- Blood Sweat & Tears
- In a Gadda da Vida, Iron Butterfly

Cannot remember the 12th one, but it was something obscure. I still have most of the 11 above.

I also remember many of the fake names we used to order deals from Columbia House while we were at UConn.

Somewhere in that same time period the tape processing firm my mom and dad worked for got bought by Capitol. Every month she'd come home with a list of records I could buy for a buck. Got most of my Beatles collection that way.

12 records for a penny... now that was the end of an era. And you wonder why bands never got paid...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I did Columbia House several times (we had eight kids, and lots of neighbors...) but never for CDs. All in the vinyl and 8-track era.

Reaction Score
I can't remember the first. What I can remember is a girl I was dating at the time getting me a Led Zeppelin four CD set. I think this had to be around 90 or 91 and it may still be the best present I have ever received. Just an awesome collection.

Reaction Score
I got my first stereo set (Emerson brand I think - a turntable/AM-FM/cassette one) at Caldors, and had some leftover money so got two LPs -

1) This one - I think she's largely forgotten now:

R-1659079-1247095719.jpeg.jpg

2) REO Speedwagon - High Infidelity (I still think it's truly great album and have it on my phone for working out)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom