EMU fires football coach Ron English | The Boneyard

EMU fires football coach Ron English

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...11080108/EMU-fires-football-coach-Ron-English

Geez... night before game w/ WMU and just weeks after the player's murder. 1-8 is 1-8 I guess.

edit add: http://footballscoop.com/news/11520-ron-english-has-been-let-go-at-eastern-michigan

>>English arrived as a heralded defensive assistant, with five years of experience at Michigan (the final two as defensive coordinator) and one year as a coordinator at Louisville. English steadily built the Eagles' program up from the depths of college football, going 0-12 his first year and then improving to 2-10 and then 6-6 in 2011, but then the program began a backslide that English could not reverse. After a 2-10 season in 2012, the Eagles beat Howard to open this season, only to lose their next eight games.<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
“@footballscoop: At EMU, pressure had been building; but we hear tipping point was ADs disagreement w how English handled a recent meeting w players.”

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Apparently, you're not allowed to swear in a team meeting if your record is 11-46.

If it's 46-11, I'm guessing you can hold team meetings with a hooker in your lap while firing an automatic weapon over the players' heads.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ron English was a pretty highly thought of defensive coordinator. Taking that job was career suicide, unfortunately for too many minority coaches, they feel compelled to take those dead jobs because they aren't offered too many of the good jobs.

He went straight hood on those players though, telling him he don't give a -ck about them cause they're bi tch ass quitting fa ggot motherf uckers. He crossed the line. You have to fire a guy these days when there is that sort of tape out there.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
another school will be looking from a head coach from possibly the same pool.

I don't know if that was a throw away comment, but if UConn is picking from the same pool of candidates as EMU, then we should just shut down the program now.

Reaction Score
I don't know if that was a throw away comment, but if UConn is picking from the same pool of candidates as EMU, then we should just shut down the program now.

Not sure I understand what you are saying... When he was hired @ EMU he was a DC at a BCS school... Is that not the same pool we would potentially be hiring from?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand what you are saying... When he was hired @ EMU he was a DC at a BCS school... Is that not the same pool we would potentially be hiring from?

I interpreted your post as implying that UConn had another competitor for candidates that we would be interested in. I am implying that if UConn in any way has to compete with EMU for a coaching hire, then we are in a much worse place than any of us realize.

Reaction Score
i wouldnt be surprised if ron english gets a look from wm. believe they have ties.

Reaction Score
i wouldnt be surprised if ron english gets a look from wm. believe they have ties.

No way. Did you listen to tape...? He's radioactive right now - especially with all the other "campus culture" noise going on currently.

English was an assistant @ Michigan for 2 years when WM was AAD there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
English and Will Muschamp should be cautionary tales. Just because you are a good coordinator on a hot BCS team, that does not mean you can be a good head coach. People seem to think if you are a coordinator of a great D or O, the team you become a head coach on will be great on O and D.

Being a head coach is vastly different from being an assistant. I hope WM does his due diligence when considering assistant coaches.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
English and Will Muschamp should be cautionary tales. Just because you are a good coordinator on a hot BCS team, that does not mean you can be a good head coach. People seem to think if you are a coordinator of a great D or O, the team you become a head coach on will be great on O and D.

Being a head coach is vastly different from being an assistant. I hope WM does his due diligence when considering assistant coaches.
This is where I wonder if the best coaching hires are not because of the work as an assistant and the type of O or D (or O vs. D) that they run. Is the motivation that they impart on staff and players the biggest criteria?

Also, is the ability to identify great assistants and recruiters, the lieutenants, the next key?

Edsall managed the team, and only dipped into a position when needed. He imparted a philosophy to the team.

Unfortunately, so did P.

Reaction Score
This is where I wonder if the best coaching hires are not because of the work as an assistant and the type of O or D (or O vs. D) that they run. Is the motivation that they impart on staff and players the biggest criteria?

Also, is the ability to identify great assistants and recruiters, the lieutenants, the next key?

Edsall managed the team, and only dipped into a position when needed. He imparted a philosophy to the team.

Unfortunately, so did P.

Those attributes you cited are absolutely the key.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, so did P.
I think the part about about identifying key assistants and having the resources to hire them is what is key. As a coach, you shouldn't also be a coordinator. You should have to manage and sell the program but not have to do it all. I look at Charlie Strong who was a D Coordinator at a major BCS program and he's had tons of success at Louisville. But he was supported with vast amounts of money that could be used to pay assistants to help the program. Strong seems to be a good leader as well which is a major help. Another example is Edsall. At UConn, he couldn't land the supposed big recruits and instead found diamonds in the rough. At Maryland, he's landing those recruits but it's not totally because of him. It's because of Mike Locksley who is the big recruiter. If you're a hot coordinator and go to a MAC school, your resources are limited. You can have success but it's a lot more challenging.

This is why UConn needs to not just hire a person who may currently be a great coordinator, but also provide the money to allow that coach to identify, and hire, the appropriate coordinators.

Reaction Score
Not for nothing but E. Mich beat W. Mich. yesterday. They responded to being free at last from Ron English. Any coach who is senseless enough in this iPhone age to rant like that in the locker room should absolutely be fired. Vulgar, demeaning rants or overly aggressive physical tirades previously done in the historically insular confines of the locker room are no longer private. They will be outed. (See Bo Pellini). Any coach who is still too stupid to understand that should be fired.
I once grounded my daughter for three weeks during high school for throwing a party while we were away. I told her two weeks were for having the party and the other was for being "too stupid to leave a note on your bed saying 'be sure to hide all the beer'---and I'm not raising any stupid children!"--lol.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
This is partly the reason I turned down coaching 5-6 grade girls BB in a park/rec league - as a former marine I wasn't sure I could prevent myself from using possible strong language in a team building environment - I would at least need to be able to use phrase get your head out of your ass.

On the other hand there is a line you can and can't cross in my mind - that line has obviously moved in the last 20 years or so.

Reaction Score

Yeah, but every successful HC out there, was at one time an assistant/coordinator. There is no magic to this. You never know how good a guy will be as HC, until he is a HC.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but every successful HC out there, was at one time an assistant/coordinator. There is no magic to this. You never know how good a guy will be as HC, until he is a HC.

Absolutely agree here. It am just responding to the love of the hot BCS coordinator of the day everyone seems to have. Picking a candidate solely because of the success in their role as a coordinator is extremely foolish. Through the thorough interview process, it is imperative that wm find out what the prospective candidates philosophy is as a head coach, not as a coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom