Emoni Bates | The Boneyard

Emoni Bates

Reaction Score
Rumor has it Emoni Bates skipping college and going to GLeague. It would be a loss for college basketball and MSU fans. To each his own , but I think exposure of a school and having that fan base backing you throughout your career has value. Jalen Green and Kuminga is a great example of this.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Green and Kuminga are examples of what? Green already has over 1M Instagram followers and both are consensus top 5 picks. Selfishly I would prefer Bates go to MSU, but for hyper elite prospects the G League route makes sense. I don’t think it’s worked out well for Isaiah Todd and Daishen Nix who had lower profiles coming out of HS.

Reaction Score
Green and Kuminga are examples of what? Green already has over 1M Instagram followers and both are consensus top 5 picks. Selfishly I would prefer Bates go to MSU, but for hyper elite prospects the G League route makes sense. I don’t think it’s worked out well for Isaiah Todd and Daishen Nix who had lower profiles coming out of HS.
Regular Joe Schmoe is not watching GLeague basketball. All I’m pointing out there is a value in the brand. People can do what they want I don’t care but gaining another $500k or whatever is it worth it in the long run? IG followers are like SoundCloud rappers... nobody cares!!!!

Reaction Score
I Would never feel bad for Michigan St or their crappy a** fans, but bates was never playing college basketball. If I’m a top 5 player in my class and I get the offer I’m going to the ignite gleague team without a 2nd guess.

BoukofJames

Reaction Score
Regular Joe Schmoe is not watching GLeague basketball. All I’m pointing out there is a value in the brand. People can do what they want I don’t care but gaining another $500k or whatever is it worth it in the long run? IG followers are like SoundCloud rappers... nobody cares!!!!
You clown the IG followers and in the same breath mention branding - do you seriously not think that social media is a huge part of branding? Not to mention these kids are living in Southern California, coached by Brian Shaw, and playing alongside and against NBA veterans. My initial question was not rhetorical - I didn’t follow your line of thinking. Now that you’ve made it clear, it’s a very bizarre take

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Can you at least tell us how much that exposure is worth? More than 500k?

Reaction Score
You clown the IG followers and in the same breath mention branding - do you seriously not think that social media is a huge part of branding? Not to mention these kids are living in Southern California, coached by Brian Shaw, and playing alongside and against NBA veterans. My initial question was not rhetorical - I didn’t follow your line of thinking. Now that you’ve made it clear, it’s a very bizarre take
Looks like you know a lot about AAU basketball, most people don’t follow, just like GLeague. My point from the beginning is that there is a value going to a school. Most on here still look into what Shabazz, Rudy Gay , Drummond and others are still doing. That stuff you can’t put dollar value on. I do remember Obama going to a Duke game with a blown out shoe from Zion. College basketball still has power just like this college basketball forum you on.

Reaction Score
Rumor has it Emoni Bates skipping college and going to GLeague. It would be a loss for college basketball and MSU fans. To each his own , but I think exposure of a school and having that fan base backing you throughout your career has value. Jalen Green and Kuminga is a great example of this.
What are Jalen Green and Kuminga examples of?

Does support from a school fan base have value? Sure. Can't exactly quantify that to any reasonably accurate number, though.

You're ignoring all the huge benefits that the G League offers these kids. (Above the table) cash, NBA vet teammates/mentors, better competition, no time wasted on going to class, NBA pace/playstyle, etc. Those have significant value as well.

Reaction Score
What are Jalen Green and Kuminga examples of?

Does support from a school fan base have value? Sure. Can't exactly quantify that to any reasonably accurate number, though.

You're ignoring all the huge benefits that the G League offers these kids. (Above the table) cash, NBA vet teammates/mentors, better competition, no time wasted on going to class, NBA pace/playstyle, etc. Those have significant value as well.
They both have value. Cunningham took the college route and still #1 pick without those GLeague benefits.

BoukofJames

Reaction Score
Looks like you know a lot about AAU basketball, most people don’t follow, just like GLeague. My point from the beginning is that there is a value going to a school. Most on here still look into what Shabazz, Rudy Gay , Drummond and others are still doing. That stuff you can’t put dollar value on. I do remember Obama going to a Duke game with a blown out shoe from Zion. College basketball still has power just like this college basketball forum you on.
For the record, I actually don’t know anything about AAU basketball. There is definitely value in college basketball, I’m not trying to say there isn’t - like I said, I believe Nix and Todd hurt themselves by choosing this path over college. But for the super elites, this path makes a lot of sense. I would love to see these guys in college basketball but just being a realist. This has nothing to with Bazz, Gay and Drummond. I love those guys dearly, but frankly none of them have strong “brands” at this point in their careers when you take off the blue-colored glasses.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It doesn’t matter at all.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
NBA, C, D, G League.

Dollars or Euro.

Each one of these kids needs to make decisions based on their own future and all of them should maximize their earning potential while they can, where they can.

Pay Day Money GIF

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neither one of those kids is losing a dime by not treading water in some podunk college town for 9 month, and neither will Bates.

I’ve got zero problem with anything that negatively affects MSU.
Agree 100%

Reaction Score
Lebron and Kobe did ok for themselves and didn’t have college fans following their careers as they jumped right from high school.

Reaction Score
College is great for guys like Bouk who need the exposure that college can offer. Guy like emoni bates alrwsdy have said exposure l, making college pointless especially when your being offered a bag

Reaction Score
UConn beating Shaq’s LSU team was a great game. I just want the best for college basketball and UConn or maybe we should just ship all players to GLeague for the better of the player and their money.

Reaction Score
UConn beating Shaq’s LSU team was a great game. I just want the best for college basketball and UConn or maybe we should just ship all players to GLeague for the better of the player and their money.
maybe

Reaction Score
Jalen Green's total compensation was over $1m. In a few years I'll be surprised if any top guys choose the college route.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Jalen Green's total compensation was over $1m. In a few years I'll be surprised if any top guys choose the college route.

If they are already doing paid IG promo posts or anything it’s probably more than that.

I’m curious if top guys look at this g league path as better than the 5th year of hs in the future.

Reaction Score
If they are already doing paid IG promo posts or anything it’s probably more than that.

I’m curious if top guys look at this g league path as better than the 5th year of hs in the future.

Correct, that $1m is just his compensation from the NBA/G-League. It doesn't include endorsements.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom