2021 Recruiting: - Emoni Bates back on the market | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Emoni Bates back on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Lots of valid points being made on both sides of this College vs G-League debate.

I think the real key to this discussion here is not the which but more about the who. Is the prospect entering college bigger than the University and team he is entering into in a given season? Or is the “program” bigger than him. I think from year to year, and player to player this can vary from school to school. For some guys it’s the right move to bypass college and go to the G-League while waiting for the draft, but I think the issue is that this only applies to maybe 1-2% of the Top 100 prospects in any given class, the rest would benefit from the college-athlete deal.

Reaction Score
Lots of valid points being made on both sides of this College vs G-League debate.

I think the real key to this discussion here is not the which but more about the who. Is the prospect entering college bigger than the University and team he is entering into in a given season? Or is the “program” bigger than him. I think from year to year, and player to player this can vary from school to school. For some guys it’s the right move to bypass college and go to the G-League while waiting for the draft, but I think the issue is that this only applies to maybe 1-2% of the Top 100 prospects in any given class, the rest would benefit from the college-athlete deal.
The vast majority would benefit from college if they're being educated beyond the gym. Gaining maturity and a broader world view plus some basic education on life's important issues, like managing finances.

Most important would be how to pick trustworthy advisors and taking a long view on how to make your money last. Ray Allen could be a big help with UConn kids based on how he took charge of his contracts and chose a manager he could trust.

Meanwhile, Allen Iverson, Kenny Anderson, Dennis Rodman, Antoine Walker, Scottie Pippen and Sheryl Swoopes are prime examples of players that made stupid money and all at one time or another declared bankruptcy.

Reaction Score
The vast majority would benefit from college if they're being educated beyond the gym. Gaining maturity and a broader world view plus some basic education on life's important issues, like managing finances.

Most important would be how to pick trustworthy advisors and taking a long view on how to make your money last. Ray Allen could be a big help with UConn kids based on how he took charge of his contracts and chose a manager he could trust.

Meanwhile, Allen Iverson, Kenny Anderson, Dennis Rodman, Antoine Walker, Scottie Pippen and Sheryl Swoopes are prime examples of players that made stupid money and all at one time or another declared bankruptcy.

All of those people went to college and went broke after long playing careers.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

college doesn’t teach you any of that.

espeially not the year 1 waste of time gen Eds.

Reaction Score
Dont get the hype with this kid relative to his comps. “Best prospect since Lebron”. “Next KD”. That kinda thing. I just don’t see that.

He’s 6’9 with a short wingspan for his height (also 6’9). And athletically hes solid, but nothing special. Doesnt seem to have much burst or quick twitch on his cuts and jumps. He barely gets off the ground on some of his dunks. And then hes still really skinny and looks weak. he hits some nice shots but they are honestly more difficult than youd expect. I would think a generational talent would have an easier time getting clean looks in high school.

He’s obviously a good player, but I dont look at him and think, elite once a decade prospect at all like his reputation claims. And apparently he’s not exactly a very good teammate or team oriented guy. He kinda reminds me of another overhyped prospect: Andrew Wiggins. Always thought wiggins lacked in burst and quick twitch movements too. Id say thats a decent comp for bates. Wiggins is a good player, but definitely a disappointment based on hype and reputation.

Mark me down that will wind up being a huge disappointment relative to hype and expectations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak