Emmy Nominations | The Boneyard

Emmy Nominations

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not a lot of surprises. A few thoughts:

Game of Thrones:

Emelia Clarke - good. She has been chewing scenery for 2 years, so it is time for Headey to get a nomination since she has been killing it.

Maisie Williams and Charles Dance have been excellent for 3 seasons now. Both deserved nominations.

Episodes 6, 7 and 10 basically locked up the Best Supporting Actor award for Dinklage.

VEEP:

Gary Cole and Tony Hale both crushed it this season.

Shameless:

About time for Macy. He has one of the toughest roles on television.

Breaking Bad

I am only in season 3 right now, but I feel like this is one of the more overrated shows in television. It is good, but not the greatest show in the history of shows like everyone says.

Mad Men

Slattery deserved a nomination. He has a much tougher role than Hamm or Morse, who both got nominated.

Homeland:

Damien Lewis' strongest season on the show was his last. He deserved a nomination.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I was hoping Pedro Pascal would get a nomination. He made the this last season of GOT the best one yet.

I love Orange, but Taylor Schilling's character is no longer a real lead and she didn't deserve a nod.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Good Wife had a phenomenal season and got royally screwed in not getting a best drama nomination.
All the more impressive that it maintained its excellence over 20+ eps, not the wimpy 8 episodes of most cable shows these days.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pascal absolutely deserved a nomination for Oberyn Martel. The nominations may have been in before the second half of the season, where Martel killed it. The scene with him and Tyrion in the dungeon is a clinic in incredible acting. Oberyn's controlled but simmering fury together with Tyrion's desperation made it an incredible scene that I rewatch a lot.

Hannibal got screwed by the network abuse that show has received. It took a couple of weird hiatuses, and now I have completely lost the thread of the show. It should have been on cable.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of surprises. A few thoughts:

Game of Thrones:

Emelia Clarke - good. She has been chewing scenery for 2 years, so it is time for Headey to get a nomination since she has been killing it.

Every time I see her pop up in a scene I cannot believe all over again how incredibly easy she is on the eyes. That camera loves that girl.

Reaction Score
Breaking Bad - I am only in season 3 right now, but I feel like this is one of the more overrated shows in television. It is good, but not the greatest show in the history of shows like everyone says.

I thought Gilligan did a truly marvelous job ending this series. The last season was one of the best final acts in TV history. Season 3 with Gale B wasn't its strongest.

Tatiana Maslany has turned in tour de force acting on Orphan Black, and it's really a travesty she hasn't been nominated the past two years.

Reaction Score
Kind of a shame that Breaking Bad, a good show that borrowed its concept from elsewhere and is carried by an incredible lead, gets this much love just because it ended . . .

Reaction Score
I loved Breaking Bad, but its been over for what feels like forever. Maybe it deserved all those awards but since almost every one of BBad's awards was a repeat individual winner there was really no point. Bad promotional job by the TV industrial complex by championing something that's gone versus giving some street cred to new stuff.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's really, really, really hard to argue that any series over the past year had a better season than Breaking Bad did. (Especially given that the Emmys are awarded to individual episodes.)

It shouldn't be refused awards because it ended just as it should not be given awards because it ended.

The winner that always baffles me is Jim Parsons.

The guy who might have the best complaint about not being nominated is Jack Gleason. He made the entire world hate him.

Reaction Score
It's really, really, really hard to argue that any series over the past year had a better season than Breaking Bad did. (Especially given that the Emmys are awarded to individual episodes.)

It shouldn't be refused awards because it ended just as it should not be given awards because it ended.

The guy who might have the best complaint about not being nominated is Jack Gleason. He made the entire world hate him.
Agree on Parsons. I find that show unwatchable.

Had to give the award to Cranston as he really did somehow get even better in the last season and as a showrunner Gilligan also deserved it for the tour de force. Then finally Anna Gunn's character deserved it as she finally got the general public love as Walt when full psycho. So only quibble deserved-wise is much as I loved Aaron Paul as Jessie he seems to have proved to be a one-trick pony.

I guess my point was more about what is the purpose of awards show vs did BBad deserve awards. Given the proliferation of awards shows it seems to me increasingly clear that marketing is the primary purpose.

Reaction Score
For being such a great show it seems like Justified has never been nominated for anything. No love for Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Maggs Bennett, Neal McDonough.

Reaction Score
For being such a great show it seems like Justified has never been nominated for anything. No love for Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Maggs Bennett, Neal McDonough.

Olyphant and Goggins were each nominated once and Bennet (Margo Martindale) won for supporting actress. I still like the show but I think it fell off this past year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I don't get the Parsons love at all. He is a one dimensional character delivering recycled sitcom lines in a completely forgettable show that 10 years from now people will ask, "was that show really on the air that long?". I am partial to Macy, but any of the other nominees are a huge step up from Parsons.

I am getting bored with the Modern Family love. A lot of the show is just updated Three's Company humor with misunderstandings and double entendres. It is a good show, but Veep and Shameless were both much better in the comedy category.

Gleeson was spectacular. I expect him to reconsider his decision to retire. He can make a lot of money as a movie bad guy for the next 20 years just doing a movie every couple of years.

I am now up to Season 5 of Breaking Bad, and I like it a lot more. I do think Cranston can overdo it at times, but Aaron Paul is awesome with a character that can become forgettable very easily. I think Anna Gunn is mediocre on her good days. Season 3 and 4 were so good because of the supporting characters. Saul Goodman, Gus Fring and Mike Ehrmantrout were awesome characters that were very well played.

Breaking Bad was good, but Mad Men was better. Mad Men has been the best show on television for years. I just didn't know it until I got Netflix.

Reaction Score
I don't get the Parsons love at all. He is a one dimensional character delivering recycled sitcom lines in a completely forgettable show that 10 years from now people will ask, "was that show really on the air that long?". I am partial to Macy, but any of the other nominees are a huge step up from Parsons.

I am getting bored with the Modern Family love. A lot of the show is just updated Three's Company humor with misunderstandings and double entendres. It is a good show, but Veep and Shameless were both much better in the comedy category.

Gleeson was spectacular. I expect him to reconsider his decision to retire. He can make a lot of money as a movie bad guy for the next 20 years just doing a movie every couple of years.

I am now up to Season 5 of Breaking Bad, and I like it a lot more. I do think Cranston can overdo it at times, but Aaron Paul is awesome with a character that can become forgettable very easily. I think Anna Gunn is mediocre on her good days. Season 3 and 4 were so good because of the supporting characters. Saul Goodman, Gus Fring and Mike Ehrmantrout were awesome characters that were very well played.

Breaking Bad was good, but Mad Men was better. Mad Men has been the best show on television for years. I just didn't know it until I got Netflix.
Agree 99% on BBad, note that Anna Gunn does her best work in the last 2 seasons. Gus Fring could be my favorite TV villain ever.

Agree 100% on Mad Men. I think you had to have some experiences/memories pre-1975 for it to really resonate. For me it turns over a rock on parents and society that I became conscious of in early 70's (I was born in 65). So its particularly fascinating to have such vivid portrayal of the world to fill in a blank and almost make me feel like I truly lived in the 1960's.

Reaction Score
Olyphant and Goggins were each nominated once and Bennet (Margo Martindale) won for supporting actress. I still like the show but I think it fell off this past year.
Clearly I don't follow the Emmy's closely, just seems to me I never hear about them getting critical acclaim. Agree this season wasn't as good, I think a lot of it was just setting up for what should be a great final season.

Reaction Score
Clearly I don't follow the Emmy's closely, just seems to me I never hear about them getting critical acclaim. Agree this season wasn't as good, I think a lot of it was just setting up for what should be a great final season.

I only knew that Goggins was nominated but lost. Wiki told me the rest. Can't wait for the showdown.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agree 99% on BBad, note that Anna Gunn does her best work in the last 2 seasons. Gus Fring could be my favorite TV villain ever.

Agree 100% on Mad Men. I think you had to have some experiences/memories pre-1975 for it to really resonate. For me it turns over a rock on parents and society that I became conscious of in early 70's (I was born in 65). So its particularly fascinating to have such vivid portrayal of the world to fill in a blank and almost make me feel like I truly lived in the 1960's.

The scene at the Cartel leader's pool was just incredible. Fring is a great villain.

I am too young to have experienced any part of the 60's, but my family was from the New York area, taking the train in and working in office buildings. They describe the amount of drinking and smoking as simply staggering.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom