Emmett Hendry Enters Transfer Portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Emmett Hendry Enters Transfer Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
According to the school’s website out-of-state tuition sits at $60.5k (makes me feel better about how much I’m paying for my MBA)

The boys played 39 games last year, so it comes out to about $1.5k a game. Now that’s steep for courtside seats for a college basketball game. But you factor in that you get locker room access and you’re sitting spitting distance from Hurley himself, that’s above and beyond the average game day experience! Not to mention the added bonus of going through a natty run and having free transportation and room and board while on the road.

I hear your point on competitive spirit and loving the game. Well, he got to share the practice court with some of the best players at the collegiate level as well as access to top class training facilities. I’m not sure if walk-ons get the same academic benefits such real athletes, so I’ll just add that the 60k comes with a pretty decent education attached to it as well.

If I were him I would have hung around with the fellas for four years, played basketball behind closed doors at the Werth center, lost my mind on the sidelines (collecting rings?), and graduate into an actual job with some incredible stories.

Reaction Score
According to the school’s website out-of-state tuition sits at $60.5k (makes me feel better about how much I’m paying for my MBA)

The boys played 39 games last year, so it comes out to about $1.5k a game. Now that’s steep for courtside seats for a college basketball game. But you factor in that you get locker room access and you’re sitting spitting distance from Hurley himself, that’s above and beyond the average game day experience! Not to mention the added bonus of going through a natty run and having free transportation and room and board while on the road.

I hear your point on competitive spirit and loving the game. Well, he got to share the practice court with some of the best players at the collegiate level as well as access to top class training facilities. I’m not sure if walk-ons get the same academic benefits such real athletes, so I’ll just add that the 60k comes with a pretty decent education attached to it as well.

If I were him I would have hung around with the fellas for four years, played basketball behind closed doors at the Werth center, lost my mind on the sidelines (collecting rings?), and graduate into an actual job with some incredible stories.

(a) you’re not him and (b) he’s not satisfied with being a cheerleader. doesn’t mean he’s making a bad decision, he’s making the right one for him.

Reaction Score
Yikes, talk about questionable decision making. Had he stayed at UConn he could’ve gotten a good degree while playing ball against NBA pros everyday and enjoying free courtside seats at an elite program. Instead he’s opted to go to a CC in the middle of nowhere to pursue a low major D1 offer?!

Good lord.
You do realize he can come back to UConn as a student? Probably even rejoin the team as a walk-on. Or attend an even higher-level academic school?

Reaction Score
Congrats Emmett! Hope he can play his way into a D1 scholarship in a couple of years

Reaction Score

Good thing you're not him, and he decided he wanted to also be able to play while in college without going 240k in debt. He wants to play competitive basketball instead of sniffing the jock of Hurley and future NBA players every day. Can you blame him? Being a cheerleader is cool, but he obviously wants to play.

What does a great training facility or great coaching matter if you'll never play a minute of meaningful basketball again?

And wait for it... other schools award bachelor's degrees too!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You do realize he can come back to UConn as a student? Probably even rejoin the team as a walk-on. Or attend an even higher-level academic school?
If any of those happen, respect. If he gets a scholarship at a better academic school then UConn then his “bet on myself” attitude will look pretty bada$$, and I’ll eat crow.

If he goes to a D3 school or no name low-major D1 school then he messed up. Basketball is just a game/hobby at his level, and I would suggest he’d be better off focusing on his adult life and career while having an elite experience at UConn.

For context on my perspective, I played a non-major sport at a high level in high school where NCAA opportunities largely laid on the West Coast or D3 level. I look back at a crucial moment of maturity when I was 18 to deprioritize sport in college (difficult to do as a teenager when all that mattered to me was athletics) and reorient towards a career. I played club at UConn, had an awesome time, and set myself up for the real world.

Tl/dr, I’m biased

Reaction Score
If any of those happen, respect. If he gets a scholarship at a better academic school then UConn then his “bet on myself” attitude will look pretty bada$$, and I’ll eat crow.

If he goes to a D3 school or no name low-major D1 school then he messed up. Basketball is just a game/hobby at his level, and I would suggest he’d be better off focusing on his adult life and career while having an elite experience at UConn.

For context on my perspective, I played a non-major sport at a high level in high school where NCAA opportunities largely laid on the West Coast or D3 level. I look back at a crucial moment of maturity when I was 18 to deprioritize sport in college (difficult to do as a teenager when all that mattered to me was athletics) and reorient towards a career. I played club at UConn, had an awesome time, and set myself up for the real world.

Tl/dr, I’m biased

Free business degree from no-name university > 200k+ in debt with a degree from UConn. That is a crippling amount of debt. Particularly if you don't intend to live in CT. That IS focusing on his adult life and career.

Reaction Score
He may have had non-athletic scholarships or help paying for school from his family. A full 200k debt is really difficult to deal with, you’re right.

The general idea of your comparison is pretty off though. A business degree from UConn and 200k in debt >>>> a business degree from a no-name school. Credentialing and access to network are crucial for a successful career in business. Attending a no-name school, and especially a small one, puts a ceiling over your career right out of the gate (with a few rather extreme examples).

Reaction Score
He may have had non-athletic scholarships or help paying for school from his family. A full 200k debt is really difficult to deal with, you’re right.

The general idea of your comparison is pretty off though. A business degree from UConn and 200k in debt >>>> a business degree from a no-name school. Credentialing and access to network are crucial for a successful career in business. Attending a no-name school, and especially a small one, puts a ceiling over your career right out of the gate (with a few rather extreme examples).
You are so wildly out of touch in this thread, yet you continue to just double and triple down

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Free business degree from no-name university > 200k+ in debt with a degree from UConn. That is a crippling amount of debt. Particularly if you don't intend to live in CT. That IS focusing on his adult life and career.
You are presuming that he would not qualify for grants or aid at Connecticut and gets a full ride at the school he is joining. The differential will be smaller.

In any event, Hendry, much like the rest of us, gets to make his own life decisions. I'm happy that he found a place that he thinks he will be happy and successful. I wish him the best.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The bottom line is it makes no sense to say it’s a “yikes” decision because you have no idea his priorities and literally cannot state it’s a bad decision since it’s 100% subjective and he’s the determining factor.

I wish I prioritized athletics more at his age. So there ya go, I think your decision would be terrible and his is correct.

It’s his life, the tone of a post criticizing it as though there’s a factual right answer is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom