Email from Susan Herbst | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Email from Susan Herbst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The state could save a lot of cash by canning this woman and picking a name out of a hat.
Susan's jacket lapel has a higher IQ than someone making this comment. :confused:

Not a big fan, but I suppose we could do a hell of a lot worse. From an academic leadership perspective, she has all right stuff. In the modern world of college sports and entertainment, a fish out of water.
No spitting match BD as you usually post things I can agree with but...To say she is a fish out of water and not a single coach has nothing but praise comes across as a little weak. We do have coaches that have a clue. That and she has former athletes donating more than ever. Most things in life are determined by timing and location. One cannot expect Susan to wave a wand and undo what Hathaway created. :(

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Far from it. She is the best asset we have at UConn. When my wife and I had dinner with TJ Weist and his wife after he'd been let go, I asked him what he thought of Herbst, both in her support of him and generally as a President. He ticked off all the schools he'd ever been associated with--Alabama, Michigan, Western Kentucky, Tulsa, Indiana, Southern Illinois, Cincinnati and UConn and said without question she is the most talented administrator and absolutely the best leader of them all--in fact his term was "head and shoulders "above them all. I'll take that as high enough praise.
Please tell TJ he's missed.

Reaction Score
The state could save a lot of cash by canning this woman and picking a name out of a hat.

You are clearly ignorant and uninformed. In fact your post doesn't warrant a replay. But I'm so bored I need to wast some time so alas I will reply. Please go back to school and get an education so you don't continue to make yourself look ignorant.

Reaction Score
Far from it. She is the best asset we have at UConn. When my wife and I had dinner with TJ Weist and his wife after he'd been let go, I asked him what he thought of Herbst, both in her support of him and generally as a President. He ticked off all the schools he'd ever been associated with--Alabama, Michigan, Western Kentucky, Tulsa, Indiana, Southern Illinois, Cincinnati and UConn and said without question she is the most talented administrator and absolutely the best leader of them all--in fact his term was "head and shoulders "above them all. I'll take that as high enough praise.

Name dropper.

Reaction Score
Susan's jacket lapel has a higher IQ than someone making this comment. :confused:

No spitting match BD as you usually post things I can agree with but...To say she is a fish out of water and not a single coach has nothing but praise comes across as a little weak. We do have coaches that have a clue. That and she has former athletes donating more than ever. Most things in life are determined by timing and location. One cannot expect Susan to wave a wand and undo what Hathaway created. :(
I don't expect her to carry the water on everything. I get your point. I just think big time college sports has taken on a life of its own and it is incredibly sophisticated. You see even the Big12 presidents struggling to navigate an environment. I don't believe she has any real baseline experience or feel in this area. I'm not sure many are capable except those who have led a university that has a strong football driven mandate. Her strength is in academics (not the worse thing ;) ).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UConn went from having no shot at the Big12, to being a top 4, borderline top 2 candidate. On Dan Wolken's podcast today, Chuck Carlton said a Big 12 source told him that if UConn were 500 miles closer, they'd be in the Big 12. I think Herbst does deserve recognition for that. It's laughable that on the CR board someone is laying blame (well, trying to) for the Big 12's dysfunction and ineptitude at the feet of UConn's president.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
pnow15 what is your merits/beliefs that designate the quality of a school president? How do you compare UConn's last two schools Presidents to Herbst? Also, are you a UConn grad? If so, what year did you graduate and what is your perception of the university from when you graduated compared to right now?

You statement seemed just silly, so I would like some context to why you would make such a statement.

Actually, my criteria is simple. The woman took over the job at UConn and had no concept about what conference realignment meant to the fans of Ct. She was unprepared and late to the game, sort of like the Polish army using cavalry against tanks in WWII.
Everything she does now is catchup.
By the way most of UConn's gains over the years has been to one man, Jim Calhoun, who brought interest no one thought imaginable to UConn as a school.
Personally, I do not care about how many new microbes might be discovered in what test tube in what lab. I want to watch winning football and basketball. I'm very shallow.
But since this board is primarily about sports, I don't feel as though I am alone in this viewpoint.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Have you tried Louisville or Memphis? I hear they have given up all pretensions of being academically inclined.
Have you tried Louisville or Memphis? I hear they have given up all pretensions of being academically inclined.
Connecticut is my home state and will always be..

Reaction Score
UConn went from having no shot at the Big12, to being a top 4, borderline top 2 candidate. On Dan Wolken's podcast today, Chuck Carlton said a Big 12 source told him that if UConn were 500 miles closer, they'd be in the Big 12. I think Herbst does deserve recognition for that. It's laughable that on the CR board someone is laying blame (well, trying to) for the Big 12's dysfunction and ineptitude at the feet of UConn's president.

It still amuses me how people overstate the travel issue. The rare trips to E. Hartford or Storrs would be far outweighed by the market benefit and the bolstering of men's and women's Hoops product and recruiting. And they'd be well paid for it. But no, take the bus to Houston so they can load up on your top recruiting targets in every sport you play.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Actually, my criteria is simple. The woman took over the job at UConn and had no concept about what conference realignment meant to the fans of Ct. She was unprepared and late to the game, sort of like the Polish army using cavalry against tanks in WWII.
Everything she does now is catchup.
By the way most of UConn's gains over the years has been to one man, Jim Calhoun, who brought interest no one thought imaginable to UConn as a school.
Personally, I do not care about how many new microbes might be discovered in what test tube in what lab. I want to watch winning football and basketball. I'm very shallow.
But since this board is primarily about sports, I don't feel as though I am alone in this viewpoint.
You are not alone, many others in this board also oversimplify the situation which is actually not under any one president's control.

Reaction Score
It still amuses me how people overstate the travel issue. The rare trips to E. Hartford or Storrs would be far outweighed by the market benefit and the bolstering of men's and women's Hoops product and recruiting. And they'd be well paid for it. But no, take the bus to Houston so they can load up on your top recruiting targets in every sport you play.

Football teams usually take charters - it is the other sports that it is a pain for. Especially because you can't fly direct between Hartford and anywhere good (I'm exaggerating some).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Posted this on a thread in the CR board but thought it should go here too. President Herbst cited UConn's ranking in Money Magazine as something she's proud of, and rightfully so (takes post graduation starting salary into account). UConn is ranked #38 in the U.S. (public and private ranking) and ahead of many schools with top reputations. Would be #1 in the Big 12. Note: BYU is #5.

http://new.time.com/money/best-colleges/rankings/best-colleges/

Reaction Score
Granted Georgia's been so-so, Georgia Tech the same, Georgia Southern's a new BCS program and prior consistent I-AA, and Herbst primarily held academic-focused, executive level roles overseeing the entire Georgia public university system, but you'd be hard pressed to operate in an absolute gridiron vacuum in the Peach State, with an SEC program, and after several years of CR responsibility at UConn. That doesn't mean Herbst dials up plays, manages a football-centric athletic department, etc., but it's a strong suggestion she's probably a heckuva lot better versed than many people likely are (@pnow15 crickets) and possibly mores of than many other people actually may believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom