Elsberry: Geno all talk.... | The Boneyard

Elsberry: Geno all talk....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This is a reminder to all (especially Geno) that we don't have Jeff Hathaway to kick around anymore.

All eyes (jaundiced ones at that) are now on AD Pendergast to see if he has what it takes to arrest the steadily declining attendance for this magnificent team.

OOPS! Sorry, I meant "magnificent program." Like what is on the TV or radio. Program.

Reaction Score
The writer seems to think that Geno and JC have the say about where UConn plays. My guess is that certain members of the legislature have traded their votes on general UConn funding for a promise from the University leadership to favor the XL, hence the exclusive rights. The banks holding the paper on the property around the XL need UConn basketball. Without it a lot of the businesses there would be in big trouble. The two coaches can voice their opinions but have little influence. Politics rules.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The writer seems to think that Geno and JC have the say about where UConn plays. My guess is that certain members of the legislature have traded their votes on general UConn funding for a promise from the University leadership to favor the XL, hence the exclusive rights. The banks holding the paper on the property around the XL need UConn basketball. Without it a lot of the businesses there would be in big trouble. The two coaches can voice their opinions but have little influence. Politics rules.
it's funny how you, as a fan, know this, but the writer didn't bother to do his homework. what a bitter guy...

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I appreciate that Geno listened to and is following up on the feedback (ear full:)) he received from fans and family alike, after the tempest his comments triggered related to the attendance at Maya's last home game. He hasn't dropped the ball and his intentions are a positive. There's a new AD and I believe the current XL Center contract prohibits games beyond Gampel or the XL. So as a Fairfield County resident, I'd really enjoy and appreciate an exhibition game in Bridgeport if that's the best we can do for now. Crumbs from UConn's table are still more desirable than whole meals from most others.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
He is just a journalist penning an op ed...why does this make him a “bitter guy”?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
He is just a journalist penning an op ed...why does this make him a “bitter guy”?
Oz- I don't want to speak for Eric, but my take is that he posted with tongue firmly planted in cheek.
My guess, and it's just that, is that the contract with the XL center was money driven - as it should be. However, it also sounds like the UConn AD rolled over when it came to exclusivity. Does anyone think that the XL center would have passed on the deal if UConn insisted that one or two games be played in Bridgeport? Especially if they were Gampel scheduled games. The question then becomes can UConn make enough money in Bridgeport to offset the lost revenues from a Gampel game? Probably not.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
bitter because he blames Geno for something he has no control over. it would have been different if he'd done his homework and came to the conclusion that Geno should try to press the AD to alter the contract with the XL center, but to blame Geno for "doing nothing, being all talk and no action" when Geno has zero control over it is poor "journalism", if you can even call his blog that.

it's as ignorant as fans blaming Geno for putting 6 UCONN players on the US national team. Frankly, Geno at least has a voice on that committee so he was at least partially responsible, but UCONN fans 100% disagreed with the other fans who whined and cried about the disparity. so i'm not sure why any UCONN fan would defend a guy who is blaming Geno for something he literally has zero control over.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
IMHO if Geno insisted, one game could be played every year in Fairfield County. Geno has some involvement with the X L Center contract negotiation and if pressed hard enough, they would relent on a game being played in Bridgeport, especially if its a game they normally wouldn't get. While not as desirable there's no reason why a preseason game couldn't be played in Bridgeport. There's not that much money involved with pre season game. The preseason game could be against a school located in Fairfield or Westchester County and that would help with the attendance.

I don't think this is a tongue in cheek opinion by Chris, I think its a serious column.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
IMHO if Geno insisted, one game could be played every year in Fairfield County. Geno has some involvement with the X L Center contract negotiation and if pressed hard enough, they would relent on a game being played in Bridgeport, especially if its a game they normally wouldn't get. While not as desirable there's no reason why a preseason game couldn't be played in Bridgeport. There's not that much money involved with pre season game. The preseason game could be against a school located in Fairfield or Westchester County and that would help with the attendance.

I don't think this is a tongue in cheek opinion by Chris, I think its a serious column.
Why do you assume that Geno has a role in negotiating contracts and where games are played?

Reaction Score

I agree with Ozzie (by the way - how's Harriet these days?). I feel a certain amount of sympathy for people who have to cook up a new article every day just to keep their jobs. To a certain extent, this endless burden even partly explains Mike 'I don't talk to fans much' DiMauro's sometimes ill-informed articles about the women.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Why do you assume that Geno has a role in negotiating contracts and where games are played?

I doubt that Geno has any direct role in contracts, but I certainly believe he has input as to the location of games at Gampel and in Hartford. And it appears he is trying to expand that role with regard to games in Bridgeport.

Also, I am no fan of Elsbery but I don't see any reason to accuse him of "bitterness". He writes for a Bridgeport paper and he is just promoting the idea of UConn games in his city.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The day that the UConn AD decides that he wants either or both of his basketball teams to play an occasional regular season game in Bridgeport, it will happen.

It will happen when they put backs on all the seats in Gampel.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I doubt that Geno has any direct role in contracts, but I certainly believe he has input as to the location of games at Gampel and in Hartford. And it appears he is trying to expand that role with regard to games in Bridgeport.

Also, I am no fan of Elsbery but I don't see any reason to accuse him of "bitterness". He writes for a Bridgeport paper and he is just promoting the idea of UConn games in his city.
Input yes, I expect that but I do not think Geno has as much control over venues as some may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom