Ellsbury may have fractured foot | The Boneyard

Ellsbury may have fractured foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story...sbury-boston-red-sox-indefinitely-foot-injury
The guy is an outstanding player on many levels but there seems to be something almost every year. I don't want to see the Sox sign him to a long term contract for a couple of reasons: he is brittle and gets injured a lot and similar to Bernie Williams, he won't be able to play another position when he loses a step. Williams couldn't do it because he had a weak arm and poor baseball instincts and Ellsbury can't do it because of his weak arm.
As much as I like him as a player, the Sox should go in a different direction.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story...sbury-boston-red-sox-indefinitely-foot-injury
The guy is an outstanding player on many levels but there seems to be something almost every year. I don't want to see the Sox sign him to a long term contract for a couple of reasons: he is brittle and gets injured a lot and similar to Bernie Williams, he won't be able to play another position when he loses a step. Williams couldn't do it because he had a weak arm and poor baseball instincts and Ellsbury can't do it because of his weak arm.
As much as I like him as a player, the Sox should go in a different direction.

Bernie could DH if he lost a step because of decent power not so sure on Ellsbury although maybe in a particular lineup............

I feel awful for you guys though with this injury:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Apparently it is a stress fracture whatever that is. The Sox are hopeful that they get him back in the next two weeks. Dan is correct, he does have a reputation of being brittle. He is, however, a huge asset at the top of the lineup. If he doesn't come back or if he does and he has a poor post-season, his market value will fall. If they do lose him, Bradley will make us forget him soon.

Reaction Score
Apparently it is a stress fracture whatever that is. The Sox are hopeful that they get him back in the next two weeks. Dan is correct, he does have a reputation of being brittle. He is, however, a huge asset at the top of the lineup. If he doesn't come back or if he does and he has a poor post-season, his market value will fall. If they do lose him, Bradley will make us forget him soon.
Hope you are right about Bradley but I'm always skeptical about players being able to hit ML pitching. We are going to need a bigger sample on him. He can definitely handle CF and if he doesn't make it Victorino can move over.
Hard to lose Ellsbury at the top of the lineup who may be the best leadoff hitter in baseball. He creates holes when he is on base and gets infielders moving. Unfortunately he has to be in the lineup to do that.

Reaction Score
Bradley a lot < than Ellsbury

Not sure Bradley can hit playoff or good pitching.........

Reaction Score
Bradley will be good in a year or two, this team needs Ellsbury in the playoffs.

Rotation just got a lot stronger though tonight with the return of Clay.

Reaction Score
Bradley will be good in a year or two, this team needs Ellsbury in the playoffs.

"Bradley will be good" or you hope he'll be good.......I'm sure you do! I don't see Ellsbury there except maybe he can play more games but we'll see.......can look overmatched at times but so did Ellsbury early on.

Reaction Score

I agree with you. A healthy Ellsbury would be a huge asset in the playoffs. I do think he is gone after this season however. I don't ever recall him saying that he wants to stay in Boston. He probably lost his enthusiasm when the fans and writers started to question his manhood after his injuries. Bradley will need some time as Dan suggests. He does not have the raw speed of Ellsbury but he has a better arm and I expect that he will have a better OBP.

I also agree on Clay. I was not expecting that kind of effort from him last night. With him at the top of the rotation followed by Lester, Peavy and Lackey the Sox are in good shape for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom