Eli Retiring | The Boneyard

Eli Retiring

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Not a Hall of Famer in my book, but I'd definitely retire his number. Here are the previous numbers retired:

(Seems like there are other guys whose numbers should be retired.)

Say what you will about his overall body of work, but he was awesome in those two SB runs. Of course he didn't do it alone, but he was clutch when it mattered most.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with your take on Eli's shot at the HoF. He played like a Hall of Famer at times, including when it counted the most, but never maintained that level of excellence. He was never a mobile quaterback and the Giants' lack of an offensive line the past five years really put a damper on Eli's production.

Reaction Score
2x Super Bowl MVP
57,023 Passing YDs (7th All-Time)
366 Passing TDs (7th All-Time)

His career stats are so low-key and unappreciated. Even with the INTs and W/L record, those three stats alone make him a no doubt Hall of Famer.

Reaction Score
I don't get too worked up about the HOF stuff because that's really only something for the individual player. The super bowl victories and MVP awards are much more important.

As the years pass people forget how clutch he was in the first half of his career. I believe at one time he had more 4th quarter comebacks than any active QB.

Here was his 2007 playoff run:

Takes down the 4-seed Bucs. Not a crazy win, but a playoff win on the road regardless.
Takes down the 1-seed cowboys in Dallas
Takes down the 2-seed Packers in Green Bay in below zero wind chill when everyone assumed Favre would outplay Eli in the brutal conditions
Takes down the heavily favored 18-0 patriots by putting up 150 yards and 2 TD's in the 4th quarter with the game in the balance.

In each victory of this SB run he had a better QB rating than Garcia, Romo, Favre and Brady. Unbelievable.

District-Husky

Casual DC Fan
Reaction Score
10 - 21 career record versus the Eagles plus 2 playoff losses to the Birds. It’s a sad day in Philadelphia.

Reaction Score
Something else to think about, his W-L stats started to take a downturn after the last superbowl, which I believe was the last year that a Giants offensive lineman made the Pro Bowl (2012 - Chris Snee).

His line has been pretty brutal over the last 5-6 years. That's going to take a toll on his career W-L record that the haters like to keep bringing up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
2x Super Bowl MVP
57,023 Passing YDs (7th All-Time)
366 Passing TDs (7th All-Time)

His career stats are so low-key and unappreciated. Even with the INTs and W/L record, those three stats alone make him a no doubt Hall of Famer.
Add the consecutive starts and he’s a HoF imo.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Something else to think about, his W-L stats started to take a downturn after the last superbowl, which I believe was the last year that a Giants offensive lineman made the Pro Bowl (2012 - Chris Snee).

His line has been pretty brutal over the last 5-6 years. That's going to take a toll on his career W-L record that the haters like to keep bringing up.

He basically averaged 9-7 over the first half of his career and 7-9 over the second half. He played on some bad teams that tanked his record. He's better than his .500 record indicates.

But while I love the guy and will be eternally grateful for the 2 SBs, he was never a top-10 QB. His longevity and endurance are impressive, but not enough to get him in the HOF. I'd hardly be upset if he got in, I just think others are more deserving.

Reaction Score
Eli is not an all-time great but hes a HOF if hes not a HOF then you can argue that Big Ben and Phillip Rivers arent Hall of Famers as well. No question those 2 Super Bowl runs are legacy making runs, you have to factor in the durability.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Throw all time numbers (e.g. 7th in yards) away. Entry to the HoF is typically era driven and Eli was never elite in his era of QBs. When folks mention Manning, Brees, and Brady, they are never referring to Eli and the percentage of fantasy football managers who have ever targeted Eli, hovers at (or is probably below) 1.00.

Eli has led the league in a major statistical category three times in his career, but it's not a good look when those instances come in the same category, and even worse when that category is Interceptions.

By comparison (and I don't believe he is a HoFer either, but still), in the same amount of time as a full time starter, Rivers has a better record, more completions on less attempts, more yards, more TDs, Less INTs, and a better QB rating. According to Football Reference, Rivers has a 87.30 HoF monitor score. Eli's score is under 83. The Average HoF QB is 103.30.

Eli is probably a lock to be inducted into the HoF, but it's not because he was a consistently outstanding football player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought this was pretty funny. I'm solidly in the no camp for HOF. Simms won two rings too. You get judged against your peers in your era. You can't compare him to guys in a time when running the ball was everything.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Absurdly =/= controversial.

Reaction Score
He has had the highest highs and the lowest lows of any QB being considered in my memory.
Two Super Bowels kind of seal it for him in my opinion,
and I’m not a Giant Fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom