Eleanna Christinaki Will Transfer to Maryland | The Boneyard

Eleanna Christinaki Will Transfer to Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Well isn't that interesting....... Need shmeed you can NEVER have too many guards.

Reaction Score
Maryland got shut out of the 2017 class so this was a good signing. She will replace SWK in the spring of 2018 and split time with Smalls and Watson. She was at the UConn game so you guys helped some along with 17,000 fans.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every transfering player has effectively quit her team.
But not everyone does it in the middle of season. I believe Geno once said that there are 'good' reasons to want to transfer and 'less good' ones. I doubt that he would think this particular kid would be a good fit here. Regardless I wish her well.

CL82

Reaction Score
And you know what about her particular situation to make such a judgment?
She left her team in the middle of season based on her perception that the coaches sanction of sitting out one half a game for a "violation of team culture."

Reaction Score
And you know what about her particular situation to make such a judgment?
This quitting was especially public. While we may not know "everything," it all seemed to come out in the wash. And yes, all transfers are quitting in one sense, but there's a huge difference between deciding, at the end of the season, that you're not a fit for your team and, as in this case, deciding your coach's disciplinary action was something you were unwilling to accept.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If the relationship is no longer tenable, why stay on the team? I don't think anyone ought to be obligated to stay somewhere where they are unhappy.

Unless I'm missing something we don't know what the "violation of team culture" was. We don't know what the player's relationship with the coach was before this incident. Not only do we not know everything, we know almost nothing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She left her team in the middle of season based on her perception that the coaches sanction of sitting out one half a game for a "violation of team culture."
Violation of team culture covers an awful lot of ground and leaves you are no closer to understanding why she left, therefore I agree that you are being judgmental. Sadie Edwards and D'Janae Boykin left UCONN 11 games into the season, same for this player.

Reaction Score
She left her team in the middle of season based on her perception

Didn't realize you knew her personally so as to know what her perception is or was.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It sounds as if there is some similarity here to the Samarie Walker situation at UConn a few years ago. I draw that analogy, rather than DJB or Sadie Edwards, because Samarie was definitely a player who was getting a lot of serious minutes and was being relied on. We don't really know the details of either situation, so we can't judge who was being reasonable or unreasonable in their expectations. But I agree that UConn would be unlikely to take the risk that Brenda seems ready to take.

CL82

Reaction Score
Didn't realize you knew her personally so as to know what her perception is or was.
Easy there, chief. I didn't presume anything not in the public record, nor did I say whether what she did was wrong, right or neutral, nor did I profess to know "her perception."

What I did say is that my sense, based upon her leaving mid-season because she disagreed with a half game suspension and Geno comments about how and why someone leaves matters, was that Geno would not feel that she was good fit here. Feel free to agree or disagree with that without suggesting that I am somehow denigrating the kid. I'm not, and that not my style.

UConn is very much a team first place. Leaving your team mid-season over a half game suspension doesn't seem consistent with that culture to me. It's fine if you disagree with that but your statement above is inconsistent with my posts on this topic.

CL82

Reaction Score
Violation of team culture covers an awful lot of ground and leaves you are no closer to understanding why she left, therefore I agree that you are being judgmental. Sadie Edwards and D'Janae Boykin left UCONN 11 games into the season, same for this player.
Meh, agree to disagree Coco. I don't see Geno pulling the trigger for a kid under these circumstances. That says nothing about this particular player but a little of my perception of what Geno is looking for when he recruits.

Reaction Score
Agree with those of you who said she wouldn't be a good fit for UConn. The coach has final say, and if Amanda Butler thought that she and one of her teammates deserved a half game suspension, then that's what they deserved. I haven't heard anything about her being an unreasonable coach. In the land of Gator football, women's basketball surely takes a back seat. She's done a very good job improving the team. Sometimes addition by subtraction is the only way to go.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Meh, agree to disagree Coco. I don't see Geno pulling the trigger for a kid under these circumstances. That says nothing about this particular player but a little of my perception of what Geno is looking for when he recruits.
I don't think we know enough about the circumstances or the quality of this kid to determine what Geno would or would not do.

Reaction Score
She and a teammate were arguing on the bench, and both got the same 1/2-game suspension.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don't think we know enough about the circumstances or the quality of this kid to determine what Geno would or would not do.
Know what Geno would do, of course not. Have an opinion on it, sure we do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every transfering player has effectively quit her team.

Let's be careful with the absolutes (always, never, all, none, etc); I do not agree that graduates belong in that category. They have EARNED the right to move on to another school by completing their undergraduate education, be it for a chance at a championship, more playing time, play in a different scheme (say, The System), to achieve a childhood dream, to facilitate acceptance into a particular graduate program...whatever their reason might be.

There is no QUIT in graduating early so that you can move on in life.

Reaction Score
Wait, wasn't it Brenda that had issues with players transferring (when Brown left for Duke)?

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're referring to - so I'd say nope. As far as I remember, Brown transferred after her sophomore season without any issues or controversy (apart from it being high-profile because she was a high-profile player on the Maryland team).

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're referring to - so I'd say nope. As far as I remember, Brown transferred after her sophomore season without any issues or controversy (apart from it being high-profile because she was a high-profile player on the Maryland team).
When Azura transferred to UConn, Brenda was not happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom