Ekmark | The Boneyard

Ekmark

Reaction Score
Courtney is quietly putting together a nice season for ASU. She is second in scoring, second in minutes, and she provides a poised and experienced presence for her younger teammates. ASU is 6-2, their only losses are to Baylor (by 6) and Louisville (by 2). I am glad that she has found a spot where she can shine.

Reaction Score
Courtney is quietly putting together a nice season for ASU. She is second in scoring, second in minutes, and she provides a poised and experienced presence for her younger teammates. ASU is 6-2, their only losses are to Baylor (by 6) and Louisville (by 2). I am glad that she has found a spot where she can shine.
22 Ekmark, Courtney mpg 23.3 fg 24-68 35.3% 3pfg 17-47 36.2% rpg 2.6 ast 13 to 9 stls 5 ppg 9.5

Reaction Score
I surely hope Lexi finds the right school where she, too, will thrive and be happy.

I, too. But I'm thinking that AEH made a mistake in transferring. Had she stuck it out, I should think she would have been a key contributor with lots of minutes. Can't believe that New Yorker AEH will be happy way down in Mississippi.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Charli Turner-Thorne, in terms of bench usage, is quite the polar opposite to Geno:

1544284170711.png

ASU has no one averaging more than 24 minutes per game, and no fewer than 11 players are averaging double-digit minutes.

Their scoring is similarly spread out. Kianna Ibis is the only player averaging double-digit scoring, and Ekmark is close at 9.5 ppg, but then no fewer than 8 players are between 4 and 8 ppg.

Reaction Score
Where is Da'Janae Boynkin (sp?)? Did she transfer from Penn State?

Reaction Score
I, too. But I'm thinking that AEH made a mistake in transferring. Had she stuck it out, I should think she would have been a key contributor with lots of minutes. Can't believe that New Yorker AEH will be happy way down in Mississippi.
Certainly won't be happy with the 5 minutes she got in her last game against a real opponent

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I too wish she had stayed. I know as a New Yorker it's tough to be somewhere where it feels and sounds as if you're speaking a dead language.

Reaction Score
Where is Da'Janae Boynkin (sp?)? Did she transfer from Penn State?

Yes. West Virginia Mountaineers. Good kid, shows just how difficult it can be sometimes to find the 'right fit.' Moving from school to school (3X) has got to be rough on a young woman; hope WVU works out for her.

oops, beaten to the punch by...
1544290669808.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe you netted it out well. Saw her twice on TV. Besides producing some nice stats, she played with a lot of grit and determination. Seemed like the team's glue.

Reaction Score
Courtney is definitely the glue and leader of the Sun Devils team this year. Kianna Ibis is the talent in the front court and Courtney is an in-betweener playing primarily forward. Against Southern a dismal effort by the Sun Devil's Courtney scored 19 points primarily from the free-throw line. She did hit a three at a very important point in the second half when it look like the rest of the Sun Devils were going to fall asleep. Courtney is amazing young lady it's hard to imagine the rigors of law school as well as playing at a D1 program. As I said earlier once the Sun Devils enter the Pac-12 schedule Courtney's strengths and weaknesses will be on display. I am concerned about her lack of quickness. However the determination and grit that she took with her to Connecticut remains.

Coach Thorne has always had a philosophy of playing the entire team. This game against southern was a little bit deceptive giving the huge mismatch between the two programs and schools. This year will be the final year for the entire front cord as Kianna Ibis, Courtney, and Charlene Chapman Johnson all graduate. Next year the Devils will be guard rich and frontcourt poor. While the Sun Devils played in amazing game against Baylor the conference matchup against Cal will certainly reveal a great deal about the ability of the Sun Devil defense to cope with a mobile big.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
iirc it was not her choice. Geno indicated he had ha it and encouraged her to go in a different direction.

Reaction Score
iirc it was not her choice. Geno indicated he had ha it and encouraged her to go in a different direction.
of course it was her choice ..... all she had to do was play according to the philsophy taught by Geno and his coaches. Therefore she wasn't a good fit. This is nothing new with most coaches. I seem to remember there was a constant tug of war between Geno and Svet.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Of course it was Ekmark's choice, and the better one at that. Truly, once she saw Kia the first day of practice she knew she wasn't going to see much PT at the 2, she wasn't big enough to play the wing at UConn and she was never going to be quick enough or enough of a floor general to be PG. She made the right decision to play close to home while getting loads of PT.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
i am still impressed by the work load Courtney is carrying (Law school).

That can't be true. I read somewhere (here on the BY?) that most basketball players major in Basic Basket Weaving

Reaction Score
Of course it was Ekmark's choice, and the better one at that. Truly, once she saw Kia the first day of practice she knew she wasn't going to see much PT at the 2, she wasn't big enough to play the wing at UConn and she was never going to be quick enough or enough of a floor general to be PG. She made the right decision to play close to home while getting loads of PT.
Courtney's father, who was also her coach in high school, is a partner in Arizona's largest law firm. If you are going to practice law in Arizona it matters where you go to law school.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I was worried about Ekmark when we played ASU. She had a terrible game against us. She went 2-12 and had 3 rebounds and 3 TO's. That being said both Asia Durr and Arica Carter, for us, had terrible games as well. It was heartening to me that our two best scorers could have bad games and we still won, if only by 2.

I have not watched enough of ASU to know if that was an anomaly for Ekmark or not. What I do know is that if you went to Uconn and later transferred, you are most likely going to be a darn good player and one to plan your defense around. Either she was really off, or, our defense really made things difficult on her. Or both. While I was there, I can't remember the details of that long ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom