Egg Bowl Debacle(Rant) | The Boneyard

Egg Bowl Debacle(Rant)

Reaction Score
I get it, I'm old and in the way. Ole Miss comes back and scores with 4 seconds left in Starkville, down by an xtra point. Kid who scored pulls an Odell Beckham, goes down on all fours and lifts his leg in dog p style. MSU accepts "excess celebration" 15 yd. penalty. Ole Miss kicker misses the now long extra point. MSU wins The Egg, 21-20. The players are so strong, fast, athletic, making amazing one hand catches, so, does almost after every play there has to be a "Look at Me!!!" Every generation laments the future ones to some degree,...., ie., "Well, in my day Barry Sanders just handed the ball back to the ref after breaking ankles on some 50 yard run." But c'mon, it never ever lets up. What a bore. That's all.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I get it, I'm old and in the way. Ole Miss comes back and scores with 4 seconds left in Starkville, down by an xtra point. Kid who scored pulls an Odell Beckham, goes down on all fours and lifts his leg in dog p style. MSU accepts "excess celebration" 15 yd. penalty. Ole Miss kicker misses the now long extra point. MSU wins The Egg, 21-20. The players are so strong, fast, athletic, making amazing one hand catches, so, does almost after every play there has to be a "Look at Me!!!" Every generation laments the future ones to some degree,...., ie., "Well, in my day Barry Sanders just handed the ball back to the ref after breaking ankles on some 50 yard run." But c'mon, it never ever lets up. What a bore. That's all.
Eh...I don't think it's generational....there are idiots in every generation. We remember how Barry Sanders did things with class because he was the exception. There were idiots then also.

It was a great ending otherwise.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hate the excuse that it was a one time emotional psychotic break. I can just imagine how many times these kids are doing these celebrations in their dorm rooms or practice squads

Surprised he kept his pants on.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The Egg Bowl never dissapoints. Whether it is a bench clearing brawl or some idiot player prancing down the sidelines with a WWE touchdown belt after costing his team the game with a dog pissing penalty.

He doesn't care, he got his touchdown and got to hold the belt.

Reaction Score
I would only hope that his teammates beat him up after the game. I was watching and hoping Ole Miss would keep MSU from a bowl game. Couldn't believe it, but knew the kicker would miss the extra point,

Reaction Score
When things like this occur people always tend to excoriate the player. In my sophomore year, after a play, one of the opposing players shoved me in the back and I tripped over a player on the ground and fell. I got up and ran over and shoved him and guess who got the penalty. Coach Fletcher called me off the field, said a few unkind word that I won't repeat here, and I spent the rest of the quarter on the bench. Thanks to his actions I never repeated that mistake. If the coachs in high school, college, and the pro's have the courage to take action these stupid actions might not disappear but I guarantee they will cut down drastically.

Reaction Score
Young kids make stupid decisions. Seems like the social media culture has only served to reinforce the impulse to turn everything anything into a spectacle instead of showing restraint.

Reaction Score
I'm all for a little celebration for a touchdown in a moment like that. But this was just classless and I hope the entire team blames him for screwing their chances at least a tie.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
We are the classier part of Mississippi.

Reaction Score
We are the classier part of Mississippi.
Some things are relative, but are we to believe ~100 miles to or fro Ole Miss (Oxford) and MS State (Starkville) makes much difference? In prior brief visits to Oxford and Starkville, no stark difference was apparent in class. Well, one had fewer cow bells! ;)

Reaction Score
The TD came on a 4th down play. I saw the receiver on all 4's doing the bear crawl and then could not believe he did the Odell. Told the wife watch they miss the extra point. We had the same thing happen in Edsalls first year back, last game of the season, when Hergy Mayala caught a TD and was penalized for taunting which led to a missed extra point and the chance to beat Cinci at Cinci as the game would have went to OT was lost. Trying to get all the players on the roster to have their heads on straight in this day and age must be maddening.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Just stupid. My brother was there and was so excited they tied the game up and then that happened. He stated he is not buying season tickets next year but will buy tickets for the UConn game so we can go and root for our teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom