OT: - Egg Bagel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Egg Bagel

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
pro tip: seeded rye bread: chavez bakery -the best! chavez purchased the 'family recipe' years ago and, if ur lucky, there might be a loaf left in your local chavez retail outlet. mebbe. buy 2 cuz it freezes astoundingly well. not a bagel person, but after having a 'sourdough' bagel last year in nyc (sf sourdough is the king of bread - my pal's family has been handing generations of progeny a piece of starter on their wedding since the 1860s. those sf folks are wicked serious aboot their bread...), i asked mo of black rock turnpike bagel king, aboot it. he informed me that his base dough is a 'sourdough' recipe.
people everywhere like to think their sourdough is 'as good as sf.' it ain't, cuz it can't be due to the water and climate. stew leonard has a pretty good formula for both sourdough and bagels. i think that they sell egg bagels, cuz i remember a few times when the only ones left in the sack were an egg bagel or that brown, nasty, wheat thing, so in that case i ate the egg one. what a choice - either the tasteless one, or that rude brown mess.
ya ever notice that they never screw around with bialy flavors? cinnamon raisin or nasty brown wheat ones only exist in someone's twisted imagination. what's next, pumpkin infused bagels? oh, the horror.
Well I like rye bread and I like bagels so it's no surprise that I really like rye bagels. Difficult to find in San Diego but there is one place not too far from me that bakes them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You bring back memories. It was Platts, not Platz, my dad took me there every Sunday when I was-a kid .

And then there’s Manny’s which was walkable from my house. Manny and a guy named Jake who worked for him umpired in my Little League. They were the worst. And a few years later I worked summers at Banner Lodge in Moodus. Every Weds we had a staff vs guest softball game. Who turns up as umpires? Of course, Manny and Jake who it turns out were pals of Jack Banner.

Manny’s son was a hs fraternity brother of mine. Manny was short for Manekofsky. He was starting center on a pretty good Weaver HS hoops team. He was 6’4” and actually wound up playing tight end at the Air Force Academy even though he didn’t play hs football. Manny would feed the Weaver hoops team after games.

I’m not a big fan of egg bagels. A few blocks west of Platt’s on Albany Ave was a terrific Jewish bakery Mayron’s. They ultimately had 2 or 3 branches. The best caraway rye and hard rolls that were crunchy on the outside, not the pre-packaged pale imitation of today.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What does this have to do with Paige Bueckers? I don't see a connection. Confused.
I'm sure Paige enjoys a nice bagel.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When Paige was 3, she practiced her shooting accuracy by throwing marbles through an egg bagel.
Full circle. Nice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom