Edsall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall

Reaction Score
UCF has an inherent advantage being in, well, Florida.

That's fair, but it's a crutch we will always use to explain lousy coaching. Boise is in the middle of Idaho. Peterson did it. Not only that, but he left, and the next guy kept it going at the same level. Their pinnacle was beating oklahoma, ours was getting destroyed by them

We made safe/easy choices from the top down, which resulted in a team that would lose to middle of the road HS teams.

BTW, the Frost example is reasonable despite the location. UCF was 0-12, then 6-7, then 13-0. They hired an innovative coach who could get the same kids they had, to play better than they did before without replacing them all.

Our next hire HAS TO BE someone who has proven he can win with players that aren't rated as highly...because we will never get a load of 4-star players (not until we start winning with what we have). We have to win by being better coached than the other team, that will cause better players to look our way. It doesn't work any other way. In my mind, this is someone who wins for a few years in FCS without a bunch of transfers or JUCO's. For whatever my 0.02 is worth.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think we should lock the football board for the week until Saturday at 1pm. On Saturday, one hour into the game, turn this thing back on and we will either talk about the rebound against URI underway or new lows.

There is just nothing to be said right now.

Reaction Score
Thus far, it’s clear what Randy is doing in 2.0 isn’t working. You really need to struggle to identify any real progress. Especially with recruiting, defense and heck just about everything other than punting. He will need to do some things very differently - and that’s tough for someone his age. I am rooting for him.
It's not much, but one thing I did notice where the defense improved over the UCF game was the number of times and the time taken the defensive lineman getting to the QB on pass plays, however Rypien as good as he is, was still able to just get an accurate pass off as he was hit. We didn't see that last week with Middleton.

C

Chief00

I think one thing we need to accept is that the UCF’s and Houston’s are basically vast community colleges in great football recruiting areas. We need to bring in JUCO’s and have basically the same academic standards for football as these schools. We also need to address the CIAC’s arcane rules so football can be worked on at the HS level - year round.
Chief has been preaching this stuff for a long time - maybe these are the gut punches for others to see the light.

Reaction Score
Here’s the issue. Goes along with “perception is reality.” It boils down to recruiting, and while this league may be better than the BE league we were in the perception is it’s a secondary league, the best of the 2nd level in D1.

When we were at our best, we were recruiting against ‘Cuse, BC, Pitt, Rutgers (leaving PSU out for obv reasons), and we were winning those recruiting battles for a good 5-8 year stretch.

Now, we are still recruiting against those schools bc geography hasn’t changed, but the league has and the perception. Imagine you’re a recruit and BC, ‘Cuse, Pitt staff is recruiting you to play in the ACC and have regional games (our conference being everywhere hurts also), and you get to play teams like Clemson, FSU, etc. Now imagine Rutgers comes in and you can play against OSU, MSU, Michigan, PSU, etc? Now UConn comes in and what are you selling? That is the problem, and that can only be solved by going into a P5 league so we are on an even playing field again. Issue is we can’t get into a P5 without improving football, which goes hand in hand obv.

I’m not a “go back to the BE guy” but if in 2-3 years we still are horrible it’s time to do something, beg the ACC to be an all-sports but FB member, go back to the BE, whatever. I’m willing to wait it out, but the deck is hugely squared against us.

Reaction Score
Season hinges on the URI game for me. We knew we had a young team and honestly... what a scheduling disaster to open against two top programs in the country. Just hope these two games lit a fire in the young guys and didn't just wreck any confidence these guys have. Can't lose sight of the fact that these are still kids and still haven't fully matured to where they can necessarily handle these types of losses as steps towards progress vs. sending them into their shells.

Reaction Score
It is often said that success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan. Well in UConn's dire situation failure has a thousand identifiable fathers... This hopeless situation was not solely the creation of Edsall. He was named captain of the Titantic after it hit the ice berg and started sinking bow first. Some of the notables "fathers of failure"include Hathaway, Pasqualoni, Manuel, Diaco etc. I've only named some of the "fathers" of football's failure. We can can also talk BB or conference realignment, but that list of "fathers of failure"" would stretch on and on...

Reaction Score
McHugh had a building named after him this year...

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
It is often said that success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan. Well in UConn's dire situation failure has a thousand identifiable fathers... This hopeless situation was not solely the creation of Edsall. He was named captain of the Titantic after it hit the ice berg and started sinking bow first. Some of the notables "fathers of failure"include Hathaway, Pasqualoni, Manuel, Diaco etc. I've only named some of the "fathers" of football's failure. We can can also talk BB or conference realignment, but that list of "fathers of failure"" would stretch on and on...

Pretty sure he also set the course for the iceberg...

Reaction Score
We need an identity. If we are going to allow 10 TD's a game let's at least block every extra point. Do one thing well.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
We need an identity. If we are going to allow 10 TD's a game let's at least block every extra point. Do one thing well.

Did you see our punter? Nobody punts like we do.

In fact, teams should start backing off on defense. Don’t make us punt to you...

Reaction Score
If teams score on us at will they can't ever have the ball. We must go for it every 4th down!

Reaction Score
Say what?
Simple concept. Sacrifice graduation rate for on field success for 2 years. Not eneough to get into an APR issue, but let the program take 5-8 marginal qualifiers that are ballers as Juco transfers for 2 years in key positions to inject talent and wins into the program.

Except Randy does not do things that way, so it won’t happen.

Reaction Score
The solution is pretty simple. Chief is spot on. Recruit worse students, win more games. I can tell you, kids at big Florida high schools that can’t get offers from the major P5 powers would love to play at UConn. UConn has a name, a brand, a certain status that you don’t find at other G5’s. People know what it is, even if it is for basketball. I am around all kinds of basketball and football players due to my kids, they think it would be “so cool” to play there. I ask why and they say exactly what I expect. They think it is cool because even though it isn’t a big time football school, it is still a big time school. Everyone has heard of it. You’ve got to take advantage of that and know how to sell it. Hurley winning a lot of basketball games will help.

A great recruiter could sell the name and build something. However, the school has got to do what it takes to give the football staff the leeway to recruit more marginal players and to make sure kids visiting UConn say, “wow” when they see what it offers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have always wondered why Edsal is opposed to JC guys
Recruiting has to be as difficult as putting a hog they the eye of a needle
Kids want to go to winning programs period
These freshman are 5 games in and with preseason they have been exposed to this level for 8 weeks or so
RE looked to me like he quit on the sidelines today
Imho if i thought thT maybe others did including some players
Maybe his next dream job is Bassick hs in Bridgeport

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Cincy or anyone can pick up15 yards on ANY check down. I think they have no reason to punt the rest of the year because the D will give up a TD regardless. Play 4 downs and see what happens

Reaction Score
Thus far, it’s clear what Randy is doing in 2.0 isn’t working. You really need to struggle to identify any real progress. Especially with recruiting, defense and heck just about everything other than punting. He will need to do some things very differently - and that’s tough for someone his age. I am rooting for him.
Randy's message for you, you dont like it "tough ish".

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
That’s funny....thanks for at least making me smile today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom