Edsall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was going to respond, but then I realized I'm dealing with a person who is making stuff up.

Really?!? What is your response to any of my comments that are "made up"?

The reality is that most UConn fans weren't thrilled with Edsall toward the end of his tenure for these exact reasons and limping into the Fiesta Bowl masked some of this in 2010. He supposedly wasn't the guy to get us to the next level with his offensive ineptitude.

Reaction Score
Edsall is the smokescreen, information leaked in order to keep the press busy. Rarely is the real candidate put out this early. It seems to me that the DB and staff have a tight handle on who they want and are able to control the information they want out there.

1. Never knew about Diaco until the shoe dropped.
2. No national search and told that new coach will be announce within a week or two.
I was wrong

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
My thoughts on Randy are simple -He's been a head coach for about 200 college games and wins half the time. It's better than winning 1/3 of the time but it doesn't excite me. Randy's tenure at Maryland had many parallels to Diaco's at UConn except he took over an 8-4 team not a team that won 3 games. Both had trouble on the field and had trouble explaining it. While Randy did built a program at UConn - he was unable to capitalize on the UA sponsorship advantage at Maryland.

The only name I heard a couple weeks ago was Moorhead - I hope that's still the case.

Can you confirm its Edsall?

I just won't believe it until you report it confirmed

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we were fundamentally solid, we could run the ball, we always had strong line play

I would have preferred a more exotic hire, but Randy's not a bad choice AND he better be 100% to UConn for the rest of his career

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
If, at roughly 10:15pm on 8/31/17, the Rentschler Field scoreboard says UConn 48 Holy Cross 0, then......I will start to consider accepting him back.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
So that would be 4 basketball seasons not 8 football seasons.

So, you are saying I got the numbers right?

Cool

Reaction Score
So that would be 4 basketball seasons not 8 football seasons.

You don't think most folks would agree that it should take a coach longer to build a football program than a basketball program?

sdhusky

Reaction Score
A picture is worth a thousand words. Having said that I will buy my season tickets and cheer the team on.

Is this confirmed yet?

C

Chief00

You don't think most folks would agree that it should take a coach longer to build a football program than a basketball program?

I agree - however the question with Randy is in over 200 games he is basically a 500 coach. Pretty big sample. Having said that I will buy my tickets as always and cheer the team on.

Reaction Score
The Prodigal Son returneth: Good Lord, Davie B. has some splainin' to do.

Reaction Score
Just when needed proof that the old adage "Truth is stranger than fiction" is based on actual experience, along comes this decision.
You just can't make this stuff up!

Reaction Score
I would have hired Don Brown. He is a much better coach than RE. Maybe, DB did not want the job, but he sure can coach (95-45) and he is not a bad DC either.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I would have hired Don Brown. He is a much better coach than RE. Maybe, DB did not want the job, but he sure can coach (95-45) and he is not a bad DC either.
It has been said around here that Don Brown didn't like to recruit or be involved in anything but actual coaching. If that is true, it maybe why you have not heard his named tossed about for HC positions.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
My thoughts on Randy are simple -He's been a head coach for about 200 college games and wins half the time. It's better than winning 1/3 of the time but it doesn't excite me. Randy's tenure at Maryland had many parallels to Diaco's at UConn except he took over an 8-4 team not a team that won 3 games. Both had trouble on the field and had trouble explaining it. While Randy did built a program at UConn - he was unable to capitalize on the UA sponsorship advantage at Maryland.

The only name I heard a couple weeks ago was Moorhead - I hope that's still the case.

Not going to pretend to be an expert on RE's time at UMD, but I think that people fail to consider the transition from ACC to B1G. That's not at all an easy task, and Randy won 7 games in their first season in the B1G. His stint there really wasn't that bad, folks at Maryland just had unreasonable expectations for where their football program stood in the greater scheme of college football. He's going to improve our recruiting in DMV which has been way worse than it ought to be, we'll recruit Pennsylvania, and probably continue recruiting substantially in New Jersey. I can't imagine him falling on his face--he's too experienced and too methodical. At worst, we're going to be an annual 6 to 7 win team, which is a massive improvement over what we have been.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
we were fundamentally solid, we could run the ball, we always had strong line play

I would have preferred a more exotic hire, but Randy's not a bad choice AND he better be 100% to UConn for the rest of his career

The problem with exotic is that it's risky. From DB's perspective, a risky hire is a bad hire at this juncture. BD was just that, a risky hire. One more bad hire and this program is destined for decades of awful football. If nothing else, Randy is a model of consistency and will bring us to respectability. Sure, maybe we'll never be great, but we won't suck either. And he's doing it on the cheap. Honestly, I think that it's a really smart and measured move by Benedict, though I'm sure it also has something to do with who gave money for BD's buyout and the stipulations that came with it. If bringing back Randy Edsall was the only way to get rid of Bob Diaco, then so be it. One more year of Diaco was going to kill the program. Four years of Randy Edsall will likely improve it pretty considerably (only way to go is up).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom