Edsall to Jags??? Only a rumor @ this point. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall to Jags??? Only a rumor @ this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Edsall is set in his ways and the read and react defense they run is much different from last years attack defense that made Maryland successful. His offense should have been built on O'Brien but as we all know Edsall likes to pound the ball down their throats. The backs at Maryland weren't made for that kind system.

Reaction Score
So Jacksonville would be seeking a run right, run left, run up the middle, punt , repeat the cycle offense? How very un-NFL that is. Don't really care what happens to Edsall in another couple of years but right now. . . he's the one who stocked the cupboard in a 5-6 season to date. In particular, he's the one who left the cupboard totally bare on offense - probably knew that and got while the getting was good. The man couldn't recruit - at least he couldn't recruit playmakers. He won't last long at Maryland - too good a recruiting area to be sending out someone who can't compete with the big boys on the high school circuit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I believe you, but YOU KNOW, there are a few apologistas that would be calling out the Edsall haters if FUCRE was 10-2, and saying how we was such a better coach than the current geriatric patrolling our sidelines.

Oh yeah they would. Sportsart for one would be sending in so hard we'd need a proctologist to get it removed.

And the whining about the Edsall threads is silly. The FB board at Scout is Edsall free.

Reaction Score
The board has been awfully quiet with actual football talk. I won't start Edsall threads, but I'll jump in headfirst to any already going.

Just curious, why do you think he has flopped so bad his first year?

That's a good question. I probably should refrain from answering it because, to be frank, I have not followed the maryland situation closely enough that I put any weight whatsoever in what I'm about to say. If, however, you want my WAG, totally uneducated, I would guess that a team coming off a very good year didn't understand why they had to start on ground level one, and couldn't build on what they accomplished, and that Edsall was not flexible enough to realize that walking into a short-term successful ACC program was not like starting with a mediocre Colonial program. I'm sure he would have gotten off to a much better start had he, with the players, been more modest with the changes he made and change from the Fridge's ways to his ways more gradually as he brought in young men who bought in to his ways.

And I do credit P and staff for struggling with how to do this, and to move things from a way that was, in the whole, working to a different way that you coach. I don't think P and staff have done this perfectly, but they've at least struggled with how to do this. Edsall was more determined to do it his way then to win over the next three years. And, while I absolutely believe Edsall, given time, can be successful at Maryland, his single focus determination (or, if you don't like him, arrogrance) to do it his way and his way only may not give him the time he needs at Maryland to tear it apart and then build it back up.

I think I'm largely agreeing with Jacobs (without the enmity). I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Reaction Score
Edsall is not a great coach. He's okay.

His offense is very vanilla and based on the running game. The Terps had a strong passing attack and a average running game. So he was given an offense that didn't play to his strengths.

On defense, Edsall rarely attacks (note the difference between Don Brown's approach versus RU QB Dodd and Edsall's last year). His bend but don't break philosophy is designed to stop big plays. Playmakers can defeat his defense and that happened often in College Park.

His special teams prone to breakdowns at UConn continued this trend at UMD. They broke at critical times.

Added together, along with his institution of tough rules, the players eventually lost their enthusiasm. I won't say they quit. But they were not very cohesive. It was an unhappy locker room.

That said I expect Edsall will win five games next year. He is loaded at QB. If he just let these kids play and they should give him five wins.

Reaction Score
Edsall is not a great coach. He's okay.

His offense is very vanilla and based on the running game. The Terps had a strong passing attack and a average running game. So he was given an offense that didn't play to his strengths.

That said I expect Edsall will win five games next year. He is loaded at QB. If he just let these kids play and they should give him five wins.

And therein lies the problem. Edsall is incompatible with an effective passing game at heart. Sorry but the record does not indicate that he can be at the helm of a successful passing game on a consistent basis. Plus if he is indeed load at QB it's likely that it's less his doing than the programs. Let's see how well he recruits that position.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Edsall will lose some of that QB depth when Danny O'Brien decides it's time to transfer.

Reaction Score
Randy Edsall denies interest in Jaguars job

Posted on: November 30, 2011 9:46 am

Posted by Will Brinson

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/33596565

Expect to hear a lot of denials about interest in the Jacksonville gig in the coming days and weeks, like the one we saw on Tuesday from Brian Billick. This is what happens when a down-and-out franchise like the Jaguars decides to fire its coach: rumors start flying about possible replacements.

But this one is just weird: Randy Edsall denied interest in the job on Tuesday. Even though, you know, he won two games at Maryland last year and just had John Feinstein ink a scathing cry for Edsall's head in The Washington Post.

"The only job that I am worried about, and the job that I have got all my heart and soul and attention on, is Maryland," Edsall told Jason Reid of The Post on Tuesday. "We are going to do the things necessary to make sure that this program goes where we want it to go. And I have never been more encouraged and excited and invigorated than I am right now."

The idea of Edsall being interested in the Jaguars gig stems from the time he spent in Jacksonville working under Tom Coughlin -- Edsall was the defensive backs coach for the Jaguars from 1994 to 1997. Dave Razzano, and NFL scout, tweeted on Tuesday that Edsall will get "strong consideration from Jacksonville."

But that seems beyond unlikely. Edsall's stock drop over the past calendar year is so precipitous that it makes Enron look like a solid investment. He's got former players lobbing him under the bus and coming off an inexplicable meltdown against NC State in the Terrapins final game, you'd think Edsall would take a look at any sanctuary he could find.

Ouch... and for the record (I think Randy did great things for the UC program and was a supporter to the end).

Reaction Score
Maryland Minute - 11.30.11 - The Edsall Bashing Continues
"Terps show growth in loss to Illinois - Washington Times"
"Despite their struggles, at least Maryland is improving in basketball. I wish Edsall would approach his team with the same honesty and accountability that Turgeon does..."
http://www.testudotimes.com/

IMO, the reason I think so many people (inlcuding me) gravitate to stories about FUCRE's troubles at Maryland is because of the abrupt and totally wrong way he left the fans and football players at UConn. I would hazard a guess that most everyone felt betrayed and were p#$$ed! I know I was. Petty as it may seem, I would also guess many take some sort of pleasure and solace in knowing that FUCRE is having to endure the sting of adversity caused by his own making. It's the only form of sweet revenge for the perceived injustice we'll ever know.

Not to worry though, for all of who are tired of it...all this FUCRE talk will get old eventually...it just takes a little time to heal. :(

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Dave Razzano is an NFL scout with more than 22 years of professional scouting experience ... and he consistently delivers independent unfiltered opinions on college and pro football talent.

Don't we all?

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Edsall's shotgun handoff offense try and win in the NFL.

Reaction Score
seriously it is time to move on maybe it will take us a year for us to cool it a little with the edsall threads uconn playing better would help too, its sad that maryland sucking is the highlight of our season hopefully on saturday well have something to cheer about. Im really sure Edsall would make alot of NFL receivers very happy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom