Edsall talks talent deficiency | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Edsall talks talent deficiency

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this. The guy we thought was ancient then, is the current DC of the Dallas Cowboys. PP knows football, and knows defense. The real problem was they he brought along his buddies and didn't have an OC that could be effective in the modern college game.

But his players were decent and his teams largely competitive. Diaco got to a bowl with PP's players and proceeded to lose games with stupidity and recruit horribly. A solid coach following PP would have left us in decent shape.

No, he is not a coach with Dallas. A lot of guys know football and know defense, it does not make them a good HC hire, particularly for a school in the middle of conf realignment - only UConn would put a few HSFB coaches ahead of their own self-interests. Yes, he is a good coach and a better man - good guy, good family. And he let his affinity for a kid who hung out at his house and played with his kids but who was not a very good QB impact the success of the program. But all of those things aside, I think you missed the point - his hire was a huge signal to the ACC that we were not making the commitments that Ville was. His hire, not him, was the program killer. A solid hire after him would have us more competitive in the AAC - WFC! A solid hire after RE would likely have us playing in a P5 conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, he is not a coach with Dallas. A lot of guys know football and know defense, it does not make them a good HC hire, particularly for a school in the middle of conf realignment - only UConn would put a few HSFB coaches ahead of their own self-interests. Yes, he is a good coach and a better man - good guy, good family. And he let his affinity for a kid who hung out at his house and played with his kids but who was not a very good QB impact the success of the program. But all of those things aside, I think you missed the point - his hire was a huge signal to the ACC that we were not making the commitments that Ville was. His hire, not him, was the program killer. A solid hire after him would have us more competitive in the AAC - WFC! A solid hire after RE would likely have us playing in a P5 conference.

Sorry, not Dallas, Detroit. He's the DC for the Lions.

1. He wasn't a good hire because I don't think he was really up for the challenge and grind of coaching at a school like UConn.
2. No hire would have landed us in the ACC. That's a fantasy.
3. Diaco was a disaster. The program wasn't in dire straights when we fired PP, we just knew he wasn't
the right fit, mostly because of his offense.

Reaction Score
Sorry, not Dallas, Detroit. He's the DC for the Lions.

1. He wasn't a good hire because I don't think he was really up for the challenge and grind of coaching at a school like UConn.

But he is capable of handling the grind as an NFL Defensive Coordinator? Guessing the grind is equal or tougher in NFL.

Reaction Score
There is zero special in any of the S&C videos posted on this board. That's not a put down, its reality. I can post similar pump up videos for PSU, OSU, Bama, Clemson, whomever you like. If what is shown in the videos on this site are supposed to be scaring anyone off, then that individual should not be considering playing 1A Football in the first place.
Exit 4 has clearly never played football. What a strange set of posts from him.

Reaction Score
It's so weird, Pasquoloni left his position as Defensive Coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys to come to UConn. Now he is Defensive Coordinator of the Detroit Lions.

All we heard when he was here was that he was the former Syracuse HC. And that he was a retread and no good. He must know something about football.

Reaction Score
It's so weird, Pasquoloni left his position as Defensive Coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys to come to UConn. Now he is Defensive Coordinator of the Detroit Lions.

All we heard when he was here was that he was the former Syracuse HC. And that he was a retread and no good. He must know something about football.

Doesn't mean he can put together a competitive Roster in New England nor manage a full modern college football program.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Exit 4 has clearly never played football. What a strange set of posts from him.

Here to troll I see. Probably 70% of the posters here never played beyond 9th grade. Moreover, of the people that actually buy the tickets, attend games and financially support the program, it is probably closer to 80% never played football. Guess all those people should close their wallets and terminate their Boneyard accounts.

Doesn't mean he can put together a competitive Roster in New England nor manage a full modern college football program.
Agreed, nor could PP assemble the right set of coaches, particularly for offense. As stated and demonstrated numerous times, many can be coordinators, but far fewer can be an actual head coach. Its probably 2X the workload too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The cupboard, as it relates offense, was bare.
Kashif Moore, Nick Williams, Geremy Davis, Ryan Griffin, Deshon Fox say hello. Nebrich would have been a good QB here if the coaches had a clue.

Nick Williams made the NFL and he couldn't get on the field outside special teams for PP. I don't know for sure but I don't think it was because of poor practice habits. PP shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore, he didn't even open the cupboard to see what he had.

Reaction Score
Nick Williams made the NFL and he couldn't get on the field outside special teams for PP. I don't know for sure but I don't think it was because of poor practice habits. PP shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore, he didn't even open the cupboard to see what he had.
Plain and simple PP was waaayyyyyy past his prime.. folks that didn't understand football made that hire.. move on...

Reaction Score
PP was past his prime and 62 before he coached his first game at UConn. That might have been OK had he surrounded himself with young and energetic coaches, but he had a 63 year old offensive coordinator and a 56 year old defensive coordinator not to mention the DL coach was 54 and the OL coach was 55. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have some experienced coaches on the staff, and Brown, Hughes, and Foley were not past their prime, but this was an old staff that need more young blood.

Reaction Score
PP lost control of that team and program. You don’t get canned 4 games into a season unless something is seriously wrong. Who knows what the reason was for his performance, but his oversight was an unmitigated disaster.

Diaco polished it off recruiting for a basketball program.......and a slow one at that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Grinders is an acronym for "Tough but less talented than what we were trying to recruit".
Point of clarification. "Grinder" is a euphemism, not acronym.

As far as the article, I liked it, but it was filler. No new information to the dwindling numbers of folks paying attention over the last 5 seasons.

Reaction Score
I will say that I am disappointed in Edsall in that I don't think it needed to get this bad. The Crocker experiment was an unmitigated disaster and the turnover of assistance suggests he didn't do a good job getting the fix started.

That all said, it's my strong sense he knows what type of athletes he needs to recruit and develop. His first stint at UCONN were teams of lightly recruited kids athletically were or became very good. Those kids were fast and physical. We seem light years away from that now, but my guess is Edsall can get those types of programs back into the program over time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would love to be wrong here but Randy has given us no cause for hope. Just more excuses.

Reaction Score
I will say that I am disappointed in Edsall in that I don't think it needed to get this bad. The Crocker experiment was an unmitigated disaster and the turnover of assistance suggests he didn't do a good job getting the fix started.

That all said, it's my strong sense he knows what type of athletes he needs to recruit and develop. His first stint at UCONN were teams of lightly recruited kids athletically were or became very good. Those kids were fast and physical. We seem light years away from that now, but my guess is Edsall can get those types of programs back into the program over time.
I don't think Crocker is a bad coach. I think he inherited a bad and inexperienced roster for his schemes which made him look like a bad coach. I'm pretty sure that the defense will be better this year than last year because you won't see as many true freshman on the field.

That said, you can't be the worst defense in FBS and have the DC keep his job. The defensive players need a new voice to move forward.

I look at the player recruiting under Edsall 2.0 and I see the same characteristics I saw under Edsall 1.0. He is recruiting more athletes and speed than Diaco ever did and I think it will begin to show up on the field starting this year, but Edsall recruits typically take a couple years to develop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom