Edsall Says Pay CFB Players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall Says Pay CFB Players

Reaction Score
If athletes are to be paid, UConn will no longer field a football team. This is a "look I'm on your side kids" recruiting pitch and I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
Bad idea. It seems to be lost that players are getting the benefit of a free tuition, meals and board, while the rest are enduring financial hardship and incurring huge debt because they actually value education enough to pay for it.

Reaction Score
Simply genius....Head bang Head bang Head bang
Call it what you want but 50 large a year is nice in my bank account. Cash, check, scholarship, ching, Benjamin's or wages it's all money...
It doesn’t go in their bank account genius. And they are precluded from making any money while everyone in power gets rich. If you stopped banging your head on the wall perhaps you’d have enough brain cells left to understand that.

Reaction Score
Next we're going to read about how people here went into massive debt to go to college.

Well, that was your choice. Nobody made you. And nobody pays to watch you BS your way through a sociology mid-term.

Bad idea. It seems to be lost that players are getting the benefit of a free tuition, meals and board, while the rest are enduring financial hardship and incurring huge debt because they actually value education enough to pay for it.

There’s the hot take I knew was coming.

Who forced these kids to go to a college they can’t afford?

Nobody.

And you’re an asshat if you think none of the scholarship athletes care about their m education.

Reaction Score
This is about what’s right and fair. Good for Randy for speaking out.

I certainly wouldn’t like it if some rich old nitwits bestowed the mantle of “noble amateurism” on me and told me I was no longer free to get paid for my work.

Reaction Score
There’s the hot take I knew was coming.

Who forced these kids to go to a college they can’t afford?

Nobody.

And you’re an asshat if you think none of the scholarship athletes care about their m education.
Using that logic, nobody forced an athlete to accept a Division-I athletic scholarship either. If it doesn't provide enough, they could stay home and go to community college, get a job, or pay to go to UConn so they will have more time to study, etc. It's not unreasonable to recognize that if one side is stretching to make it happen (the athletes), there are others making different sacrifices to be at this state's flagship university.

Let's think about this. 85 football scholarship plus 13 basketball = 98. Of course, you'll also have to pay 98 members of various women's teams to stay in Title IX compliance. But if those 98 include women's hockey or soccer you will have to fund the corresponding men's team or make it clear those are undervalued sports and forget about getting competitive recruits. So add 18 for hockey and (??what is the soccer scholarship limit, let's say 18 as well) means we are up to 134 men and 134 women. There might be more such as softball/baseball equivalence, but let's just stop here (or we keep baseball and drop men's hockey, thereby saving on the new rink). 268 times how much money. $20 grand each perhaps. That's $5M+.

Where does it come from? First, all other sports will be cancelled. Track, swimming, crew, golf, tennis, etc. - gone. Forget about adding lacrosse on the men's side. The athletic department will basically be football, basketball, plus probably one or two of soccer/baseball/hockey for men and enough women's sports to reach the same number of scholarships (soccer, volleyball, basketball, hockey, softball, lacrosse and some filler sports). It's not so bad for women but the massive number of football scholarships means the men's side will be gutted.

Reaction Score

Sorry, Randy. Paying athletes while they are (supposed to be) getting an education? That will be a death knell for 99% of college sports - including UConn.

They are getting paid, an education is expensive. If 99% of them don't use the education they are getting, it is not my problem.

Reaction Score
Using that logic, nobody forced an athlete to accept a Division-I athletic scholarship either. If it doesn't provide enough, they could stay home and go to community college, get a job, or pay to go to UConn so they will have more time to study, etc. It's not unreasonable to recognize that if one side is stretching to make it happen (the athletes), there are others making different sacrifices to be at this state's flagship university.

Let's think about this. 85 football scholarship plus 13 basketball = 98. Of course, you'll also have to pay 98 members of various women's teams to stay in Title IX compliance. But if those 98 include women's hockey or soccer you will have to fund the corresponding men's team or make it clear those are undervalued sports and forget about getting competitive recruits. So add 18 for hockey and (??what is the soccer scholarship limit, let's say 18 as well) means we are up to 134 men and 134 women. There might be more such as softball/baseball equivalence, but let's just stop here (or we keep baseball and drop men's hockey, thereby saving on the new rink). 268 times how much money. $20 grand each perhaps. That's $5M+.

Where does it come from? First, all other sports will be cancelled. Track, swimming, crew, golf, tennis, etc. - gone. Forget about adding lacrosse on the men's side. The athletic department will basically be football, basketball, plus probably one or two of soccer/baseball/hockey for men and enough women's sports to reach the same number of scholarships (soccer, volleyball, basketball, hockey, softball, lacrosse and some filler sports). It's not so bad for women but the massive number of football scholarships means the men's side will be gutted.

The same logic doesn’t apply. They can’t go to the NBA or NFL straight from high school. And “normal” students don’t generate any income for the school unlike men’s basketball and football players. That could change for the NBA but it won’t for the NFL. If the nba allows kids to be drafted from HS you might have a point but even then the kids should still be allowed deals outside the school so they can help support their families.

How do they get paid? Easy. Take it from the $800 million the ncaa gets a year. Let them get proceeds from jersey sales. If a schools football team sells $1 million worth of jerseys, split that up between the players. Same with basketball, which includes women.

Let them get endorsements or work other jobs. Let them get paid appearances. If the school isn’t the one paying, they don’t have to worry about title IX.

If an agent wants to pay a kid $50k to signs s contract to represent him as a pro, let him. Who cares? They are finding way to funnel money to these guys anyway. They are only amateurs in the eyes of the people who are completely naive about college sports.

And title IX will have to come to grips with the fact that women’s sports don’t generate profit. As long as women still get the opportunity to play, there is nothing that is unfair. If a school like UConn’s women basketball generates profit, let them pay the players. But there’s nothing sexist or unfair about a kid who plays on a football team that generates millions in profit for a school, getting $5-$10k a year when his team helps to fund the scholarships for the women’s swimming team that creates no revenue, while those women still get scholarships.

And where is the logic behind takin away summer jobs. Let the kids get paid to coach at summer camps. Who is harmed by that? Why would that cause title IX issues? It wouldn’t.

Reaction Score
Randy made the Daily News today—-Page 35. Story by Evan Grossman. Just below story where O’Quinlan denies he took cash in college.

Reaction Score
The same logic doesn’t apply. They can’t go to the NBA or NFL straight from high school. And “normal” students don’t generate any income for the school unlike men’s basketball and football players. That could change for the NBA but it won’t for the NFL. If the nba allows kids to be drafted from HS you might have a point but even then the kids should still be allowed deals outside the school so they can help support their families.

How do they get paid? Easy. Take it from the $800 million the ncaa gets a year. Let them get proceeds from jersey sales. If a schools football team sells $1 million worth of jerseys, split that up between the players. Same with basketball, which includes women.

Let them get endorsements or work other jobs. Let them get paid appearances. If the school isn’t the one paying, they don’t have to worry about title IX.

If an agent wants to pay a kid $50k to signs s contract to represent him as a pro, let him. Who cares? They are finding way to funnel money to these guys anyway. They are only amateurs in the eyes of the people who are completely naive about college sports.

And title IX will have to come to grips with the fact that women’s sports don’t generate profit. As long as women still get the opportunity to play, there is nothing that is unfair. If a school like UConn’s women basketball generates profit, let them pay the players. But there’s nothing sexist or unfair about a kid who plays on a football team that generates millions in profit for a school, getting $5-$10k a year when his team helps to fund the scholarships for the women’s swimming team that creates no revenue, while those women still get scholarships.

And where is the logic behind takin away summer jobs. Let the kids get paid to coach at summer camps. Who is harmed by that? Why would that cause title IX issues? It wouldn’t.

UConn students (the ones you make fun of if they stretch to afford to go to Storrs) are already subsidizing athletics. Football sure as hell isn’t making a profit. I love sports, but the Huskies are a money drain. Why should the students subsidize them more?

As for the NCAA, I hate them, but you seem to think they are sitting on an annual $800M profit. That’s revenue. Most of their money is distributed back to schools -and most of those schools are still losing money. Squeeze the fat cats (please) and their excesses, but you aren’t going to come up with another $5M+ per school to pay athletes (and that’s with big cutbacks in offerings). A handful of the biggest schools will be able to afford it. The rest, including UConn, will probably have to reassess where sports fit in.

Lastly, very few kids could go straight to the pros (at most a handful nationwide per year). For most D-I players, if they weren’t wearing the colors of State U, they’d be lucky to make meal money in some minor league. I root for our players and team because they wear the colors. Take that away and most people couldn’t care less. Remember the illustrious Hartford Hellcats.? How about the Colonials? Yup, nobody cared.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
My two cents:

1) As the father of a current college football player and having seen what the athletes do, I'm in favor of paying the athletes. My first thought about the money would be minimum wage for the hours they put in. A rough calculation results in payments of $5,000 per year per student athlete. It may be slightly more.

2) Now where do we get the money? The schools don't have it, except for possibly Texas and Notre Dame. Someone suggested the NCAA. That's perfect in an ideal world, but the P5 schools would never agree to a massive equalization of revenue going back to the schools when they think they're responsible for bringing in most of the revenue. Maybe they'd go for a staggered system, something like: $7,500 to P5 players, $5,000 to G5 players, $3,000 to FBS players, and $2,000 to everyone else.

Someone with far greater knowledge of this subject than I will have to come up with a workable solution. I don't see an obvious fix. Maybe the current system is the best in a group of impossible alternatives.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not shocked at the completely retrograde opinions of many on the board, but you all should open your minds.

Aside from the right and wrong, we are currently totally duck**d as an athletic department. We are locked into a monopolistic and cartel-esque system that is slowly bleeding us to death. Literally anything that is done to break up the NCAA/Conference/TV monopolies shakes up all the pieces and gives us another chance to better our situation. As far as chaos theory goes, paying the players will abso-duck**ing-lutely throw that infrastructure into flux, renegotiation, etc.

That would be very good for us.

*on the right and wrong* all of those on the "don't pay them" are also completely wrong. Currently the system is structured to use the free labor of 100 teenagers to pay many adults large, market dictated salaries. The laborers are also restricted in their movement, while the handsomely paid administrators are free to come and go as they please. This is horribly unjust, and this must be first established and stipulated. 100%.

As to those who argue the reason this should not change are due to the dire claims of change in system collapsing college athletics: Please understand that this LITERAL ARGUMENT was the bad argument used to prop up and defend LITERAL SLAVERY in the US from oh 1790 to 1860. So, lets also just stipulate that that is a terrible argument and should be strait up shunned. gross.

Final note. If college athletics, through a regulated free market, can't figure out how to distribute LITERALLY BILLIONS of dollars equitably, and also keep in mind that unlocking the ridiculous NCAA ban on 3rd party income will bring in even further $$ streams, it should probably just not exist full stop.

Reaction Score
I'm not shocked at the completely retrograde opinions of many on the board, but you all should open your minds.

Aside from the right and wrong, we are currently totally **d as an athletic department. We are locked into a monopolistic and cartel-esque system that is slowly bleeding us to death. Literally anything that is done to break up the NCAA/Conference/TV monopolies shakes up all the pieces and gives us another chance to better our situation. As far as chaos theory goes, paying the players will abso-**ing-lutely throw that infrastructure into flux, renegotiation, etc.

That would be very good for us.

*on the right and wrong* all of those on the "don't pay them" are also completely wrong. Currently the system is structured to use the free labor of 100 teenagers to pay many adults large, market dictated salaries. The laborers are also restricted in their movement, while the handsomely paid administrators are free to come and go as they please. This is horribly unjust, and this must be first established and stipulated. 100%.

As to those who argue the reason this should not change are due to the dire claims of change in system collapsing college athletics: Please understand that this LITERAL ARGUMENT was the bad argument used to prop up and defend LITERAL SLAVERY in the US from oh 1790 to 1860. So, lets also just stipulate that that is a terrible argument and should be strait up shunned. gross.

Final note. If college athletics, through a regulated free market, can't figure out how to distribute LITERALLY BILLIONS of dollars equitably, and also keep in mind that unlocking the ridiculous NCAA ban on 3rd party income will bring in even further $$ streams, it should probably just not exist full stop.

In short, as with many things in the world, you must decide whether you prioritize ORDER or JUSTICE. When you identify that decision-point, don't ever be the jerk on the side of order when people are being taken advantage of. Pay the kids.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How does HCRE think this cheap heat will help his program?

Reaction Score
If you believe for a nanosecond that the kids are not already getting paid, you're naïve. What I believe he is asking for is to take this out of donors' pockets and sleezy backrooms and make it transparent and somewhat equal. If the FBI were ever to conduct a review of Football, the way they stumbled upon basketball, the SEC would be shut down.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If you believe for a nanosecond that the kids are not already getting paid, you're naïve. What I believe he is asking for is to take this out of donors' pockets and sleezy backrooms and make it transparent and somewhat equal. If the FBI were ever to conduct a review of Football, the way they stumbled upon basketball, the SEC would be shut down.

I knew a guy who worked for Georgia Tech, and he said boosters would slip some players s$700 after a game so they could have a good weekend. GT is a pretty low tier P5 team, and even they were doing it to some extent.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
100% with Randy. This will help start the end of college sports. Amateurism is such a joke especially now with TV deals. We don't need college sports. What we need is fairness and honesty which the current system doesn't give us. People don't want athletes getting paid but are fine with coaches making $M's/year because "the coach has paid his dues" what kind of nonsense is that? We are fine with the Warde Manuels of the world earning $000's of dollars but coaches shouldn't get any money.

Either allow booster to pay players or get rid of college sports but amateurism is over when it comes to basketball & football.

Reaction Score
And “normal” students don’t generate any income for the school unlike men’s basketball and football players.
The sport and the fact that people like watching the sport generates the income. Students come and go and get "paid" free tuition, state of the art medical care, housing, meals, transportation and a free audition on television to potential employers while they are briefly here. Lets not forget where the money ultimately comes from. In all of this they seem to be the ones nobody really gives a about but the sport can't survive without.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The sport and the fact that people like watching the sport generates the income. Students come and go and get "paid" free tuition, state of the art medical care, housing, meals, transportation and a free audition on television to potential employers while they are briefly here. Lets not forget where the money ultimately comes from. In all of this they seem to be the ones nobody really gives a about but the sport can't survive without.

Quit with the pearl clutching.

You watch for the players.
The players do the work.
The players generate millions.

Pay the players. Period.

Amen.

Reaction Score
Most players aren't worth the cost of a scholarship let alone a salary. If you did this fairly, each player would receive a market rate instead of a scholarship. Some players would make essentially minimum wage. A few would make six figures. Can you really field a team like this? The market disparity between the first basketball player and the tenth would be huge.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Most players aren't worth the cost of a scholarship let alone a salary. If you did this fairly, each player would receive a market rate instead of a scholarship. Some players would make essentially minimum wage. A few would make six figures. Can you really field a team like this? The market disparity between the first basketball player and the tenth would be huge.

Yes. Most companies pay some people a lot and others very little, people have their roles. If you think you can get paid more go somewhere else, thus salaries everywhere will increase.

Reaction Score
Yes. Most companies pay some people a lot and others very little, people have their roles. If you think you can get paid more go somewhere else, thus salaries everywhere will increase.

If you want to make this a free market then things will change rapidly. Few, if any, markets have 126 (or whatever is the latest count of FBS members). Fewer still have the majority losing money. If a free market is desired then we'll be down to the P5- (the minus is because some P5's might not make it either). The absolute superstar players will go straight to the pros (a dozen or so per year to the NBA and very few to the NFL because they aren't physically ready) while the best of the remaining will be paid on a scale from a lot of money to less than the current value of a scholarship. The net will be far fewer opportunities in total. That makes sense as there is really no demand for 19-22 year old developmental football or basketball labor outside of the university marketplace. Fans are rooting for the school laundry and the primary economic value for most players is that they wear that laundry. There may be minor leagues that spring up to take some of the extra players, but they'll be playing for meal money and little else. Essentially they'll be "last chance" semi-pro operations at best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom