Edsall Says No Names On Back Of Jerseys Is Coming | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Edsall Says No Names On Back Of Jerseys Is Coming

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
When they are having issues drawing fans why would they make it tougher to know the players. I guess old school is okay but like the names on the back so I know who to yell at when they screw up

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
This would be the dumbest uniform decision in decades, and that's really saying something.

Why on earth would you make recruiting even harder on yourself voluntarily??? If the angle on the recruiting trail is that you can get to the NFL from UConn, then it would stand to reason that the recruit might actually want the scouts to see his friggin' name!

My goodness, how dumb can you get...
Well maybe the recruit wants to be called by his number? “ Hey 34 come here” “Hey 34 where ya from” lol

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well it does read like Edsall was just creaming over the old days and not actually implying that they are making a change now.

Better save up. Buying vowels gets expensive.

Reaction Score
Yup. O'Neil Robinson got it right. "Huh?" is the appropriate response to such a ridiculous concept...
Honestly, who cares. As long as they go out and win games no one would be screaming that the jerseys don’t have names. The Notre Dames and PSU’s of the world do it and no one cares. Unfortunately anything looks bad because of the state of the program right now. But if a recruit decides that everything was right about UConn except there’s no names on the jerseys hence he’s not committing then he didn’t belong here to begin with

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He was pretty clearly reminiscing about the fact that there were no names on the back of the jerseys in that clip.

Reaction Score
Imagine that, all the outrage over nothing...

>> New uniforms in 2019

UConn will have a new set of uniforms in 2019, an athletic department spokesperson confirmed Monday. The jerseys will be modeled after the ones the Huskies wore during Edsall’s first tenure as coach, when they won at least eight games six times over an eight-year stretch.

In a Twitter exchange with former UConn standout Darius Butler, Edsall alluded to jerseys without names on the backs, prompting alarm from some fans, as well as safety Oneil Robinson. However, a spokesperson said the coach was referring to the old uniforms, not to the new ones the Huskies will wear, which will continue to feature player names.<<

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
2 1/2 pages of drivel about the back of a uniform tells me that there is still interest in the program. This is actually good and Wednesday night will tell us a lot about the future and fan engagement.

Reaction Score

>> New uniforms in 2019

UConn will have a new set of uniforms in 2019, an athletic department spokesperson confirmed Monday. The jerseys will be modeled after the ones the Huskies wore during Edsall’s first tenure as coach, when they won at least eight games six times over an eight-year stretch.

In a Twitter exchange with former UConn standout Darius Butler, Edsall alluded to jerseys without names on the backs, prompting alarm from some fans, as well as safety Oneil Robinson. However, a spokesperson said the coach was referring to the old uniforms, not to the new ones the Huskies will wear, which will continue to feature player names.<<

When I created the UConnHighlights Twitter account, I did not envision it would ever lead to such controversy :oops:

Reaction Score
UCF did this. Look where they are now. In fact, for at least one season I believe you put "TEAM" on the back of their jerseys.

Reaction Score
Honestly, who cares. As long as they go out and win games no one would be screaming that the jerseys don’t have names. The Notre Dames and PSU’s of the world do it and no one cares. Unfortunately anything looks bad because of the state of the program right now. But if a recruit decides that everything was right about UConn except there’s no names on the jerseys hence he’s not committing then he didn’t belong here to begin with
It's just stupid Edsall "culture" nonsense. It is a clusmy attempt to strip away personal identity. If that's what you need to form team identity, you've already failed. Hell, even the military has names on its uniforms.

Names help fans identify the players in the stadium and on TV. It's fan friendly.

The reason that baseball didn't have names on the jerseys for decades was to sell more programs. It had nothing to do with "culture".

Reaction Score
It's just stupid Edsall "culture" nonsense. It is a clusmy attempt to strip away personal identity. If that's what you need to form team identity, you've already failed. Hell, even the military has names on its uniforms.

Names help fans identify the players in the stadium and on TV. It's fan friendly.

The reason that baseball didn't have names on the jerseys for decades was to sell more programs. It had nothing to do with "culture".
Well I’m taking that you didn’t see the article/posts saying the no name on jersey thing was blown out of proportion and wasn’t happening

Reaction Score

>> New uniforms in 2019

I really, really hope they thought better of keeping the random stripes on the jerseys that go to nowhere. Terrible look.

Reaction Score
I'm cool with us kinda reverting back to how the older jerseys looked, to a certain extent... They just need to get it right... Old school, like the rudimentary design of the old jerseys won't cut it... Taking pieces from the older jersey and meshing with the updated designs of football unis will definitely work... Don't blow this one Nike...

Reaction Score
Yeah, let's make it harder to know who is on the field at a given time and then who does what. That will bring the casual fans in (i.e. all those not on the BY that is).

Reaction Score
I agree, go out and win games, but, still, don't have on crappy unis... and don't have us looking like Penn State either... That's their thing...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'd expect them to look less like this:
1549298983922.png

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
...and more like this
1549299084167.png

Sort of hybrid of old and new. Replace the red with grey and the "Call of the Wild" helmet with Block C lids.

UConn probably stays on the front. I'd be fine with it.

Reaction Score
If the angle on the recruiting trail is that you can get to the NFL from UConn, then it would stand to reason that the recruit might actually want the scouts to see his friggin' name!

I love the idea there there are NFL scouts willing to make the trip to East Hartford to see a recruit play but whoa whoa whoa I gotta look down at the program to figure out who is who? Hard pass!

Reaction Score
I love the idea there there are NFL scouts willing to make the trip to East Hartford to see a recruit play but whoa whoa whoa I gotta look down at the program to figure out who is who? Hard pass!

Single biggest reason NFL scouts have never gone to watch PSU, ND or USCw

And despite the suggestion - military academies do not put names on their jerseys - unless their are 105 kids who's last name is Army

Reaction Score
No fulltime block C.. No way.. they aren't very good.. Go with the new Navy helmets with the new Husky logo on the .. or the all white helmet and new Husky Logo... use the block C sparingly (throwback moment only)...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom