Edsall Love Fest | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall Love Fest

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Can't read the whole thread, but, geez, Edsall? The only possible reason to hire him again that I can see is that we give up on P5 status. He was an okay coach who got us to respectability faster than we had a reason to expect, thanks largely to Danny O being from CT and staying home. But I thought we had plateaued, even the Fiesta Bowl year because the league overall was no great shakes. Could he be really good as an AAC coach? Who knows. But dynamic he ain't. We certainly won't get the pick of the litter, but nobody should make RE more than he was.

Reaction Score
I guess it is theoretically possible to move backwards from this year 3-9 run which closed out with six losses.... I guess.

Edsall is triage. He stops the bleeding. As I've said elsewhere, he's not my first choice, but he's certainly not a step backwards from red pants.

I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. People forget how conservative he was on offense. Rarely went for it on fourth down etc. it was only in his last season that he began to open it up. Little did we know he was auditioning to move on.
"Never Randy"

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Thanks dude...but to me it's all about systems now and I don't think he can scheme to defend the spread. I hope that I'm wrong on this if he is the guy....but my gut tells me no.

I think Edsall had the ability to coach to what the teams strengths were and he could adapt if needed. Unfortunately, he failed to land a solid QB and had to resort to a ground game, albeit an awesome one at that. I do remember Rich Rod and Pat White shredding us apart, amung a few others, but gotta face it that practically nobody was stopping those West Virginia teams.

In my gut, I would be somewhat disappointed if we end up with Edsall. As with anything you've already seen it doesn't have the allure of the unknown. That being said, if we can get back to fundamentals and playing a competent brand of football - even in defeat - it will be a step in the right direction. I'm almost certain Randy could do that.

Reaction Score
You want to kill the fan base and put the football program in a coffin? hire Randy Edsall and then count the people in the stands. He saw he had taken the program as far as he could then bailed. Now he's desperate for a decent coaching gig and the people of Connecticut are desperate for returning to mediocre? That's not good enough. Bring someone in that can elevate this program to a higher level than Edsall ever could. And if he's the best that Benedict can find to accept the head coaching job then UConn is in worse shape than any of us realize.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When Edsel flew from Arizona to Maryland that night many people wrote that they thought he bailed because he that Fiesta Bowl as UCONN's zenith. There was no more up. And to hang around longer was not an option.

So, why would he 1) return hat in hand, to 2)do it all over again while in a "raging dumpster fire of a conference"?

The next coach not only has to improve team performance but also reinvigorate a most moribund fan base.

Reaction Score
I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. People forget how conservative he was on offense. Rarely went for it on fourth down etc. it was only in his last season that he began to open it up. Little did we know he was auditioning to move on.
"Never Randy"
Jesus. I give you Pittsburgh. On our own end of the field On fourth down. No way we should have gone and he did. And we got the first. And we won. Jesus

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The fanbase may never get back to Big East levels in G5 but this is a strong football league and if given a couple seasons we could be right back in contention with Randy.

People have this unrealistic notion that a relative unknown commodity is going to come here and start to win 10 games, yet because of some mythical cieling that Edsall can't break through he would kill the fanbase.

Edsall brings us back to respectability I guarantee that. Maybe not next season if Sherriffs leaves but we'd get there.

Reaction Score
The fanbase may never get back to Big East levels in G5 but this is a strong football league and if given a couple seasons we could be right back in contention with Randy.

People have this unrealistic notion that a relative unknown commodity is going to come here and start to win 10 games, yet because of some mythical cieling that Edsall can't break through he would kill the fanbase.

Edsall brings us back to respectability I guarantee that. Maybe not next season if Sherriffs leaves but we'd get there.

I struggle to understand how a guy who failed miserably at Maryland, acted like a on his way out of UCONN and runs a very conservative offense brings respectability. I think it splits an already fractured fan base even more than it is.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I cannot see Benedict making a ballsy move in firing Diaco (doubted it would happen) and then ruining it by hiring a retread former HC who left like a thief in the night.
Cross him off, maybe he comes as a coach, not HC

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I struggle to understand how a guy who failed miserably at Maryland, acted like a on his way out of UCONN and runs a very conservative offense brings respectability. I think it splits an already fractured fan base even more than it is.

He only ran a conservative offense when he didn't have the team to run anything else. Look at the way the 2009 team played. They put up points.

Also, he didn't fail spectacularly at Maryland. Check out the results then talk.

Reaction Score
Edsal is not my top 1, 2, 3, or 4th choice, but good god do people have short and selective memories. I hated going to bowl games pretty much every season and winning conference championships. That sucked. Could he replicate it if he returned? Dunno. Was he a w/ the way he left UConn? Absolutely. But the guy did a good job when coaching here, which has been validated with each of the 6 seasons since he left.

Reaction Score
He only ran a conservative offense when he didn't have the team to run anything else. Look at the way the 2009 team played. They put up points.

Also, he didn't fail spectacularly at Maryland. Check out the results then talk.

Interesting reasoning. Whose fault was it that he didn't have the team to run anything else.
I guess all of our memories do fade. I distinctly remember fans in the stands grumbling loudly about his unwillingness to go for it on fourth down. As I said, that changed in his last year, but we found out why when he fled.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Edsel supporters:

images

:cool:

Reaction Score

A losing record at Maryland isn't failing spectacularly? Why don't you talk to some Maryland fans?
Two wins over 500 at. UCONN isn't exactly a resume builder.
I see NBC is reporting this morning that Randy is back. I have no idea what Benedict is thinking but he is putting his own upward mobility on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom