Edsall Fired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Feel bad for Lyndon Johnson, who is the one assistant that went with him to Maryland aka WARNING SIGN #1
My uncle is good friends with Lyndon from their days on the O-Line together back in the Yankee conference. I'm hoping he lands on his feet somewhere. My uncle was still an Edsall supporter and Diaco skeptic, but I don't think he has been following the teams so much lately. Having kids will do that I suppose.

Will be interesting to see where LJ goes, following Edsall was his only non-UConn gig. If Randy gets another HC gig, wouldn't be surprised if he brings Lyndon but I would be surprised if it's a P5 school.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Maryland has the same terms as Rutgers re: Big Ten revenue & the fact that Maryland was running a massive deficit a few years ago, combined with Randy's buyout - where do we get that Maryland has the budget a $4M a year coach?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If Maryland has the same terms as Rutgers re: Big Ten revenue & the fact that Maryland was running a massive deficit a few years ago, combined with Randy's buyout - where do we get that Maryland has the budget a $4M a year coach?

Simple. Maryland has Under Amour money. Rutgers doesn't.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
So, Kevin Plank is going to write $8 million just like that to buy out Randy, hire the search firm and give out a fist year contract of $4M. Oh Yeah, and then pay the next 3 years at oh say $13 M total for a layout of $21 Million just like that? If so, why hasn't he written checks to wipe out their budget deficit?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, Kevin Plank is going to write $8 million just like that to buy out Randy, hire the search firm and give out a fist year contract of $4M. Oh Yeah, and then pay the next 3 years at oh say $13 M total for a layout of $21 Million just like that? If so, why hasn't he written checks to wipe out their budget deficit?

It's not that he will write the check. It's that he can write the check.

Reaction Score

It's been widely reported that Maryland will make $98 million more in its first six years as a B1G member than it would've made in the ACC. That gives you some flexibility. The Maryland AD was pretty clear during the presser that they simply have "more resources" and a different "economic model" now.

It also helps that Kevin Plank can and does drop $25 million gifts when he wants something done.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
It's been widely reported that Maryland will make $98 million more in its first six years as a B1G member than it would've made in the ACC. That gives you some flexibility. The Maryland AD was pretty clear during the presser that they simply have "more resources" and a different "economic model" now.

It also helps that Kevin Plank can and does drop $25 million gifts when he wants something done.
I can't find the article - but Rutgers seems to have a less lucrative deal until 2021. Much less lucrative.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about it, Edsall is my all time favorite coach of any of my teams. I think he was a class act at UCONN and built the team from scratch. Some people have an issue with how he left but a lot of coaches in his spot have left the team BEFORE the Bowl game, which in my opinion is inappropriate. He saw the season through.

He had bad luck at Maryland but in D-1 football its all about the wins and losses so I understand. I hope he finds another job soon.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller9:24pm via TweetDeck
Here's a pretty solid accounting of the end of former #UConn coach Randy Edsall's run at Maryland
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nd-football-coach/?postshare=8031444608244447

From within:

>>The move will have short-term financial implications for Maryland, which must pay Edsall his salary of $2.1 million for this season in addition to a buyout that will cost roughly $2.6 million. No state funds will be used to pay off Edsall’s contract, Anderson said on Sunday, explaining that the school will be able to “weather” the cost of the buyout in part because of new revenue streams created by joining the Big Ten Conference.

“There is a short-term cost, but we feel that there are going to be long-term benefits … entering the Big Ten and being associated with the conference, it has changed our economic model,” Anderson said.<<

Reaction Score
i>m sure this threat is hot, just thought maybe, if my IT skills work , i could change the mood, and perhaps install some foreshadow

ps Its the song we all know, not any of the action, so play it cool we all trust in HCBD and the futue or UConn FB

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chances that Edsall ends-up at Rutgers next year? He has Northeast roots (PA) and coaching/recruiting experience (Syracuse, UConn, Maryland), and a reputation for being able to clean-up a programs and boy does Rutgers needs that right now. In fact, a 'clean' program is likely more important than a winning program in Piscataway right now to the university as a whole. The downside, he hated working with a incompetent AD at UConn (Hathaway) and Rutgers likely has the most incompetent AD out there right now in Hermann.

Reaction Score
Chances that Edsall ends-up at Rutgers next year? He has Northeast roots (PA) and coaching/recruiting experience (Syracuse, UConn, Maryland), and a reputation for being able to clean-up a programs and boy does Rutgers needs that right now. In fact, a 'clean' program is likely more important than a winning program in Piscataway right now to the university as a whole. The downside, he hated working with a incompetent AD at UConn (Hathaway) and Rutgers likely has the most incompetent AD out there right now in Hermann.

I think Randy's salary for 2016 would be contingent upon him not finding another job, no? Or at least he'd reduce Maryland's obligation to him by taking another job?

Either way, if he decides to go after another job this year, I'd put UCF and Rutgers high on the list of schools for which there could be mutual interest, with Syracuse as a dark horse if they continue their slide after the USF loss.

Reaction Score
Why would they want him? He just failed at a similar job.

From what I have been reading and what I have heard, he did a good job cleaning-up a huge off-the-field mess at Maryland football and while his team is not that good on the field, they look to be relatively clean off of it. After everything that has happened at Rutgers over the last 24 months, they would take a 'clean' program over winning, which they don't do well anyway, any day.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Budget deficits don't win and lose games. Coaches do. He'll put his money in the area that gives him the most gain. He could likely give a damn about their deficits.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
There is a quote in that article that sums up Randy Edsall perfectly:

"Since Edsall’s arrival, the Terrapins improved their academic record and had relatively few off-field issues. They entered this season coming off back-to-back winning years for the first time since 2002."

Reaction Score
He was 10-24, I read in conference play at Maryland. If he didn't do a terrific job here for us, not a single person would be saying nice things about him being fired. 10-24, is bad and no one survives that.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Taking this in a different direction...

While I would rather be in the B1G, than standing outside as we are now, I'd like to point out what is perhaps rather obvious to many here is that life inside the P5 is short and brutish. Is its not out of the realm of possibility that Maryland becomes a near perennial bottom dweller like Indiana or Minnesota or Illinois or soon to be Rutty. The one and perhaps only benefit to football outside the P5 is that there is more room and optimism to grow and be a Boise St, UCF or Northern Iowa. Those outside the P5 just need to slay one or two dragons a year as the underdog rather than play 5+ top 30 programs all under the pressure of higher expectations. Seems like the lesser P5 programs will be changing their coaching staffs with greater frequency going forward as non P5 games are reduced and thus the opportunities for a winning seasons and even a few wins decreases further. The vicious cycle of loosing will help keep a certain number of mid level recruits at G5 schools who'd rather play a winning schedule than go 2 and 10 annually on the big stage for four or five long college years.

It is this fork in the road for recruits - the choice between playing a winning G5 schedule vs a loosing P5 schedule that will keep football alive for the G5 schools for years to come as long as the bowls leave some doors open. Kids do want the bowl dream. Its the ice cream sundae at the end of the season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tony Kornheiser isn't half the man Randy Edsall is. Some loudmouth on TV that has no idea what it takes to be a coach at that level.
Oh, BS. Edsall isn't half the man the apologists say he is. You don't get 2M per for running a clean program, you get paid to win. Which he didn't do. He showed he can take a team from nonexistence to good. Good is his ceiling. His going from good to great is a pipedream.

Reaction Score
The right coach will win anywhere. KState pre Bill Snyder, and Wisconsin pre Barry Alvarez were Temple in the bad years bad. The key these days is don't give a huge contract to an improven contract at least not one with a huge buyout. Both Rutgers and Maryland are located in fertile recruiting grounds.

Oregon pre rich brooks was terrible. CFB has always been about hiring the right coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom