Edsall-Crocker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall-Crocker

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I am trying to understand why it’s a “D-“ not an “F”?

Is it because we won and had a couple nice blitz’s that last series? Or because of our youth?

Yes, because we finally made the stop we had to have to win the game at the end. The defense deserves some credit for that. Otherwise it's an F rated performance.

Reaction Score
Was URI faster than our defense? I don't think so. What are you guys talking about?
I, anyway, am talking about it being more than speed. URI’s experience and strength on offense proved that point.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes, because we finally made the stop we had to have to win the game at the end. The defense deserves some credit for that. Otherwise it's an F rated performance.

In weeks 1 & 2, UConn's D failed miserably not only against starters, but backups. Games were effectively over at halftime. Adjustments weren't made or didn't work. And players were beat regularly by large margins, as well as being out of position and unable to make stops for pretty much the entire 60 minutes.

Yesterday, URI needed to score on every possession. Their first unit played the entire game (granted its FCS, but a lot of upperclassmen vs UConn frosh nonetheless). UConn did make enough stops. The margins on getting beat were smaller. There was progress, although not enough for most fans. But progress regardless. Therefore, if first two weeks were Fs, this was at worst a D-minus, IMO.

Reaction Score
There’s something drastically broken with the defense. I realize we lack experience and athletes, but we simply never stop anyone. I don’t think we have a single red zone stop this season. Has anyone even attempted a FG?

We never seem to be in position and tackling is beyond awful. There’s something fundamentally wrong and, frankly, I’m surprised to see it in an Edsall coached team. I don’t see how Crocker keeps his job.
URI was in the red zone yesterday and they were stopped at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
I want to see T Jones and Fines, etc doing some more twists/stunts against Syracuse.
Yeah, I had my binoculars on the D-line most of the game. The DT's were platooning. T. Jones and Fines were one pair and Kevin Murphy and Caleb Thomas were the other pair. They alternated defensive series. Jones got double teamed quite a bit. They rarely ran up the middle but they exploited the DT/DE gap all day and the LB's just never plugged the hole. It was like UConn was playing without LB's. Guessing some stunts like HCPP's teams used to do would work wonders.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When I was playing in junior college my coach showered me with similar praise. He frequently said, “you may be small, but you’re slow”.
Auriemma famously made the same quote about Maria Conlon who was the point on the last two Diana Taurasi UConn squads. Thought it was pretty funny at the time.

C

Chief00

The fact that Jones is often doubled teamed as a true freshman is telling. If he works on his explosion off the line and conditioning, he will be a real load to block 1x1 in a year or two. What we need is for some other guys to establish themselves.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In weeks 1 & 2, UConn's D failed miserably not only against starters, but backups. Games were effectively over at halftime. Adjustments weren't made or didn't work. And players were beat regularly by large margins, as well as being out of position and unable to make stops for pretty much the entire 60 minutes.

Yesterday, URI needed to score on every possession. Their first unit played the entire game (granted its FCS, but a lot of upperclassmen vs UConn frosh nonetheless). UConn did make enough stops. The margins on getting beat were smaller. There was progress, although not enough for most fans. But progress regardless. Therefore, if first two weeks were Fs, this was at worst a D-minus, IMO.

Week 1 we gave up 56 points to a ranked UCF team with a Heisman hopeful at QB.

Yesterday we gave up 49 points to a middling FCS program.

If you saw progress, I'm not sure where you were looking.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I had my binoculars on the D-line most of the game. The DT's were platooning. T. Jones and Fines were one pair and Kevin Murphy and Caleb Thomas were the other pair. They alternated defensive series. Jones got double teamed quite a bit. They rarely ran up the middle but they exploited the DT/DE gap all day and the LB's just never plugged the hole. It was like UConn was playing without LB's. Guessing some stunts like HCPP's teams used to do would work wonders.
Our LBs (with exception of Kevon) are non factors. Out of position, not aggressive, can’t shed blocks, bad angles, no crossing route pickups, failure to get depth in pass cover, can’t blitz effectively...at least get some aggressive animals on the field. I’d rather see huge aggressive mistakes than tentative pussyfooting around.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Week one was 56 points because UCF didn't want to score 80+ points.

And how many points would have URI scored if not for us putting up 56 and controlling time of possession?

Point being, every team we've played has been able to score at will. I don't see any improvement yet.

Reaction Score
If the ending taught us anything they should work on a bunch of blitz packages. Here is why:
  • Make the opposing QB prove that he can consistently make the right decision. College guys really can't do that consistently. They won't be facing any 40year olds named Brady.
  • It also puts way more pressure on the O-Line to prepare and forces them to do more than win individual battles.
  • RE talks about being aggressive and having fun. Well blitzing is a great way of simplifying things and letting them run wild.
  • Blitzing creates turnovers and big plays on D, thus increasing confidence.
  • There really is no increased risk. We are giving up big plays without blitzing and not getting enough stops.
  • The base D is not giving them the 3 or 4 stops per half that you need to win. It is not realistic to pitch a shutout, but a few more stops will make a difference.
The offense has performed well in 2 of 3 games. Wins could be had this year if the D can get a few more stops and force a couple more field goals and turnovers. I think this is the only way given the experience level.

What's puzzling is I thought Crocker's defense featured stunts and blitzes from varying positions and thus was able to make up for physical deficiencies with stealth and surprise. That was what I recall from when Villanova played us a few years ago.

Why not now? Does it take shorter, less muscular, slower but more experienced players?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Anyone who believed Edsall was going to run a gimmick defense lonf-term should be drug tested. He too one look at the D-linemen he inherited and knew he would never find four or five required to run a 4-3. He brought in some kind this year and went back to what he knows. Not to mention, our LBs are way to slow and raw to run a 3-3-5.
I don't blame Crocker. I don't blame Edsall. This isn't about X's and O's. It's about Jimmies and Joes. And right now, our guys aren't ready. But I think they will be in a couple of seasons.

This is the right thought but I would add that regardless of the talent level or youth, we shouldn't be getting smoked like we have been over the last 15 games. There is still a difference between being an inexperienced defense, a bad defense, and a flat out embarrassing non-competitive defense. When you can count defensive possessions that didn't end in touchdowns on your fingers after three games, that is a whole other level of bad assuming you field 11 players that all have use of their legs.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What's puzzling is I thought Crocker's defense featured stunts and blitzes from varying positions and thus was able to make up for physical deficiencies with stealth and surprise. That was what I recall from when Villanova played us a few years ago.

Why not now? Does it take shorter, less muscular, slower but more experienced players?

To be fair it requires a level of football IQ, assignment discipline, and communication that we just don't have.

Reaction Score
This is a bad defense. Buddy Ryan in his prime couldn't make it even mediocre.
Buddy Ryan could probably start on this Defense tomorrow, and it would be an improvement.

Reaction Score
These kids play like they have a hall pass to be young/inexperienced and not very good.That's a bad mind-set even if the description is true.
That’s what I meant by “it doesn’t matter what we think.” These players have to believe in themselves, regardless of their youth and inexperience. They have to think they can stop the other guys. Until they do, it’s not likely they will.

Reaction Score

He had a stud, eventual 2nd round NFL pick, DE on that team that was probably better than anyone we have ever had, let alone currently have. That by itself gives a defense a different look.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The thing that’s killed us this year is run defense. URI averaged almost 9 yards per run IIRC. That’s insane. The pass defense is no better or worse than last year, but we’ve now added a putrid run defense to compliment it. Teams run straight up the gut for 30+ yards routinely. I saw a stat today that this is the most yardage a team has given up through 3 games since at least 2000 (stats online didn’t go back further than that)

Reaction Score
The thing that’s killed us this year is run defense. URI averaged almost 9 yards per run IIRC. That’s insane. The pass defense is no better or worse than last year, but we’ve now added a putrid run defense to compliment it. Teams run straight up the gut for 30+ yards routinely. I saw a stat today that this is the most yardage a team has given up through 3 games since at least 2000 (stats online didn’t go back further than that)

Even during this long 8 year decline we were always pretty good at stopping the inside run game. There was a noticeable drop off last year but this year is much worse so far.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That’s what I meant by “it doesn’t matter what we think.” These players have to believe in themselves, regardless of their youth and inexperience. They have to think they can stop the other guys. Until they do, it’s not likely they will.

But I read here that if people aren't positive enough it impacts the team in a negative fashion.......

Reaction Score
Was URI faster than our defense? I don't think so. What are you guys talking about?

You came to this conclusion before you ever saw URI play one snap. There was not a noticeable difference in speed or athleticism and URI was definitely stronger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom